Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. aussie dubber

aussie dubber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks never thought of that ill look into it
  2. xrsism

xrsism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look at grounding yourself. Ive had a few pts problems since my accident. From thoughts, grow fight/flight responses which energises itself, or me really and that grows into an unhealthy state of recklessness. Its a matter of catching the thought, grounding yourself in that moment and realising that you can unhook yourself, staying in the present and noticing what actually is around you physically as opposed to mentally. Its something thats helping to cope and move on.
    You have a different scenario AD but perhaps the thoughts are hooking you just the same. I suppose its a matter of ownership as well. I often ask myself do I want to own a thought/character/way of life etc or let them go and change.
    Effisland likes this.
  3. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you thought of getting a smaller lighter bike and building up your confidence, chuck it on a trailer and get out of the city, where the riding is less congested, all the best.
  4. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    @ Aussie dubber,
    Get a DR XR trailie and start doing day rides and maybe some close rallies, just feeling your way. Nothing demanding until confidence builds...sometimes you have to just believe you can do it and you will...
    Kiwirich likes this.
  5. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    The way I would look at your issue is this: the world contains endless opportunities that one person could never expect to experience in one lifetime, and riding a bike is one of them. Some might say that to get over your anxiety you got to get back into it slowly, bite off small pieces and gradually those feelings will go away. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it - like yourself I've owned bikes my whole life, except for times where I've had to move and ditch it along with other prized belongings, lack of money being the reason. Those times I would go without a bike, or car, I would learn to do without and let me tell you sometimes it was quite liberating not having all the responsibility that goes along with it, and worry about it - costs for upkeep, whether storage was secure, whether the GF thought I would crash, etc. So nice to just live life (in the city, such as it was). It wasn't until I got my feet back on the ground and things began stabilizing that I got the 'itch' for riding again.

Nothing worse than feeling you MUST do something that maybe you DON'T want to do, or have confidence issues with. The world is your oyster, whatever that means. I think it means that you can try new things, completely different things that don't cause anxiety. When you're ready you will know. Take the pressure off yourself and don't feel that just because you had this hobby you MUST keep doing it. I have no idea if that makes sense...just a thought! Take care
    Hay Ewe, JohnG., mytmav and 1 other person like this.
  6. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    OK folks - hope everyone is travelling well, got out for a ride to Tumurrama for the 'Autumn Leaf' rally
    [​IMG]
    Good roll-up, about 250? Lots of familiar faces & some new ones
    [​IMG]
    Poor mob having evil thoughts about that Thruxton - the owner is still recovering from the ride [hard suspension & seat !]
    [​IMG]
    Another to add to the collection - had a great time - sore head Sunday - the ride home was slow and enjoyable
    [​IMG]
    Working through M/H issues with a new scheme doing a lot of CBT exercises or will be apparently
    Cheers
    Baza
    JohnG., mallee, Ron50 and 7 others like this.
  7. Diggar

Diggar GP Winner

Oddometer:
    After my first encounter with cancer I was a little bit ginger about getting on bush track riding.At that time I booked a ride with West Coast Safari Rides down in Kirup for a ride from Kirup to Nannup.Cost at that time was in the region $450 for the hire of one of their rentals,slightly less if you used one of their bikes.I hired a WR 250 as it would be cheaper as opposed to damaging the Dakar and riding home.Cutting an long story short ,got some great advice ,had a great ride and helped me.Prepared me very well for a later ride out to the Kennedy Ranges a few months later ,but more importantly an appreciation of the confidence and the abilities that were learned ,so as not to get them mixed up.
  8. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride today - chasing Fig tree cuttings - out to Wee Jasper - looking green out there with water in creeks ! :dllama:
    Just something calming about seeing green colours and water around in places - still crook & need decent rainfall event :devildog
    Great day for a ride - was great just poking along @ 90kph - old twins have that suitable rumble which sooths the soul :photog
    Got some great cuttings - Big Black Genoa out Caves road, and a green fruited variety along Mountain Creek Rd
    Feel calm
    Baza
  9. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a black dog story you might like, Baza.

On Saturday I was sitting out the front of the Mitta Mitta pub watching the black kelpie on the veranda of the general store. A fellow pulled up at the bowser with a table top Toyota and started filling up a jerry can. The dog got up and sniffed the tray of the Toyota, probably for evidence of working dogs. Not sure whether he was expressing a valid assessment of his findings or just wanted to leave a message himself but he immediately pissed on every wheel of the Toyota.

I gave him the "eye" and pointed at him and he came over to see what I was about. He was probably accustomed to unfriendly responses and seemed very happy for a bit of affection - so much so that he tried to wriggle into my bike jacket. When I took him down to the park by the river and threw a stick for him he barked at me and I wondered whether the big pink lump on the right side of his face was from some cruel bastard not happy with his pissing who had hit him with a stick - or kicked him. Maybe he'd recently been hit by a vehicle. Anyway, the lump didn't seem to be bothering him.

If you blow this pic up you can see the big lump below his right eye.

Black Kelpie.JPG
  10. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Some lovely places down there along the rivers
    [​IMG]
    Jingellic looking S/west,
    [​IMG]
    Spag Rally - getting there is the fun !
    [​IMG]
    And there'll be no excuses for not attending !!!
    Cheers
    Baza
    Ron50, Dukehunt and Kiwirich like this.
  11. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone. Good advice here as Black Dog can affect any and all of us. Thank you. Suicide survivor here.
    Effisland, xrsism, Canary and 3 others like this.
  12. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you mean attempted. Spooky otherwise.
    Aussie_Gringo likes this.
  13. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ron, massive Black Dog.......to be honest 3 belts and a door knob....US leather products totally suck BTW......OK, look, a return from 3 weeks in Bali back to Southern California life had me suicidal. I am better now. As posted elsewhere, Winston Churchill, an icon, suffered from anxiety and depression and is an inspiration to me for his ability to lead while suffering.
    xrsism, ehbt, Big Willy and 1 other person like this.
  14. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Thank you folks, as I posted elsewhere....If you are ever in Bali my home is yours and I'll have an extra room and bed, mates. Black Dog is a bitch my friends. All is getting back on track just leaving California.
    Effisland likes this.
  15. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
  16. Simosez

Simosez go ride your bike.

Oddometer:
    Aussie_Gringo likes this.
  17. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    When you leave please take my girlfriend with you......she rides a BMW GS F650.....hates Moto Guzzi bikes
    Dukehunt and Ron50 like this.
  18. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Kuta and Legion are total shitholes, I found the beaches around Jimbaron in Bali have totally cleaned up their beaches in the past ten years.
    Kiwirich and sidetrack one like this.
  20. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    I am sorry guys. More explanation here. Trading up for a Stelvio.....I stared the Black Dog in the face tonight and I won the stare down. I am leaving Southern California permanently for Indonesia. I spent 6 years in Australia working coast to coast and have met a few of you wonderful folks like Nev and too many others to mention....apologies for missing the names....I did FIFO work mostly on Barrow Island in WA and Thevenard Islands. It has been a very long night for me getting organized for the move overseas but I wanted to let you all know that the Black Dog was defeated tonight.