Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry if this is not the right place to discuss this, but it has made me feel really sad and teary. :(:

I am referring to Mert Ney the 20 year old man who sadly killed a young woman in Sydney. I fully understand that he committed a terrible crime and went off the rails, but after reading that he had recently tried to take his own life, and had tried to get help multiple times as he realised that he was in trouble with his mental health. Each time he was discharged from hospital, and obviously not given the support or treatment that he so desperately needed and was asking for.

I know that he also assaulted his sister, but I have read interviews from her saying that the entire family were worried about his declining mental health.

Now I read that he is not being given his mental health medication or any pain relief for the self inflicted injuries to his leg while he is in jail. This is despite him asking for it and is struggling with being in jail.

I can't help but feel sad that if he had of been helped earlier, a young girl would not have lost her life and a young man would not be in jail. :(
  2. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    This has made everybody who has worked in or experienced mental health, very sad - this should not have happened but it did !!
    Our governments don't care about these issues - we need to do more
    Write to your local members - state and federal - start overwhelming them with advocacy
    Something close to my heart as long-time readers of this thread would know
    Stay safe people
    Cheers
    Baza
    Kiwirich likes this.
  3. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just sharing my thoughts and recent experience of a 30 day juice feast/fast. I didn't consume any solid food for the 30 days except 1 coffee per day. I noticed a mental improvement/alertness after the first week. I slept an hour longer each night with a much deeper sleep and didn't have to have my usual day time nap. I lost 9-10 kgs and my cholesterol level dropped to 3.4 ( I don't generally have high cholesterol anyway, usually around mid to high 4's ). I had more incentive to get things done also as my energy levels improved. The most notable improvement was the aches in my joints disappeared most notably in my knuckles and toes. I found that I didn't walk like an old man for the first dozen steps when getting out of a chair etc. Amazing!.
    Too qualify this I have been back on my usual rubbish diet for the past week and all my problems are back again, aches and pains, lethargic and a bit in the doldrums so I'll be going on another 30 day juice fast and planning a better diet while doing so, hopefully 80% fruits and salads and the rest cooked.
    Juice feasts/fast can't be maintained indefinitely and they don't teach you better eating habits but can be used to clean the crap out and getting you feeling more alive while you plan a better diet. Anyhoo, maybe this might help someone who may suffer arthritis etc. It's not easy ( you'll piss out of you're arse for the first week and urinate 20 times a day :shog ) and breaking a bad food addiction sucks but like anything in life you get back what you put in ( especially in your mouth ). I'm happy to relate my experience if anyone needs more info as there are a couple of things to be aware of such as keeping hydrated believe it or not.

Cheers
    Andrew
  4. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’ve watched “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead”? My daughter really struggled with her weight and after watching that with me we both did the juice thing, except she stuck to it. Amazing transformation, she’s a Chef so it’s hard but she’s managed to lose and keep off 30kg. That’s a lot of spuds to lug around. I applaud you Andrew, it’s a hard thing to do, I found the first few days bloody hard, got a bit easier, then after week 2 I just couldn’t keep going.
  5. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's great news about your daughter Paul.I actually forgot about Fat,Sick and Nearly dead". He did a great job for sure but I had other reasons for doing it and actually watch a fella named John Rose on Youtube. John's pretty full on but what he says is true. We have a gut full of rubbish that never gets a rest so we need to give it a break once in a while. It's a bit like never doing an oil change but just keep topping up the old stuff.
    It's not easy Paul and I had days where I was going to quit too and to be honest I was aiming for 3 months but failed at 30 days. Still happy with that and didn't realise until after going off it how good I was feeling both physically and mentally so it's back for another 30 days.
    One of my incentives is to not let down a couple of mates that I'm going to the MotoGP with as getting motivated is really hard for me lately.

cheers
    Andrew
  6. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:

Feeling OK - listening to my music - enjoy old stuff while working in workshop
    in for coffee - must put jug and makings in workshop !!!!
    Cheers
    Baza
    Ron50 likes this.
  7. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Felt a bit flat, so out for a ride on my gorgeous SV, Wilber with one of my best friends today for lunch. Feel heaps better now. :D
  8. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm about ready to walk off this planet..
    Between health/ depression/ pain and other issues I'm struggling.
    What does the juice diet consist of basically? (my gastric system has never worked well, and diverticulitis is a problem, along with IBS.. a good clear out might do me the world of good. And some improved motivation wouldn't go astray either)
  9. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Diverticulitis and IBS were the things I was hoping was wrong with me, not what I ended up with. Now? I’m glad it wasn’t IBS, I do have diverticulitis but manageable- it’s in my family so I’ve been lectured from a young age about fibre etc. I can’t really imagine what you’re going thru Ock, my gut pain was bloody debilitating and stopped me enjoying life, some days I was completely unable to function, but I’ve improved markedly as the tumour has shrunk. I was eating a lot of ginger and having at least one Yakult a day, I’m currently brewing my own Kombucha which is kinda fun, every culture seems to have a fermented drink of some kind Aus seems to be beer. I might be prying but have you been checked for Crohns?

As for the juice, there’s plenty of info out there both pro and con, I used lots of veggies and also fruit, carrot, capsicum, tomato with a bit of coriander and ginger and maybe a Chili was a bit of a fave but I’m an Indian food nut. Most naysayers will tell you that it’s better just to eat the fruit and veg as juicing destroys the goodness but trust me there’s no bloody way you could eat the amount in a day that most juice diets recommend, you’d be chewing constantly. We started with a cheap blender which worked fine, my daughter bought a more expensive jigger designed specifically and the only difference was it was easier to clean and separated the pulp. Some of the recipes look bloody awful, some taste bloody awful, but like Andrew said they work.

How’s the exercise going Ock? One of the big takeaways I got from all the “Ologists” I’ve seen lately is get some exercise, you don’t have to run marathons just a few hours walking a week will make a massive difference. Me I got back on the pushy and it’s been great.
    Ockrocket, Sfcootz, Andrew2 and 8 others like this.
  10. Sfcootz

Sfcootz domodnatrix Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  11. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:

Basically as Paul described. I green juice in the morning ( 1L ) and evening ( 1L ) and fruit juice in the middle of the day ( 2L ). Fruit juice at night will probably keep you awake. Squeezed juice is best but centrifugal is fine and easier. Make sure you strain the juice with a common kitchen strainer because the idea is to clean out you intestines/colon of years of built up crap so get the fibre out of it. It's best to drink it over an hour or through the day so you get max absorption but not necessary just don't skull it in 5 minutes:lol3.
    Drink a lire or more of water too. I found I was dehydrated at first because I thought the juice was enough fluid but there must be a lot more fluid in solid food than I thought. I've read it's a good idea to swish it around your mouth for a few seconds before swallowing it if you can be bothered. Something to do with the enzymes or something or rather, can't quite remember. I do it because it doesn't take any effort to do it.
    My green juice consists of green apples,carrots, cucumber,celery,beet,ginger and a leaf of kale if I have any. Vary the amounts to get the taste you want, Carrots make it sweeter.
    My fruit juice is anything you get juice out of. Currently watermelon,rockmelon,pineapple,green and red apples,oranges,grapes,lemon,grapefruit,kiwi,pears. You don't have to have all that, I just tend to go overboard:lol3.
    I also allow myself 1 coffee a day which has saved me from quitting a few times but is probably best avoided if possible. Herbal tea is fine.
    The hardest part is cutting, juicing and washing up 3 times a day if you want the freshest juice. It would probably be best to go to the reject shop and get some 1L mason type jars and get all your juicing done in one hit for the day.
    It won't be easy but you should see a difference pretty quickly. Obviously alcohol and and other junk like coca cola etc can't be drunk haha.
    I'm no expert, I've just looked up the info online. There's plenty on Youtube. Anyway it's pretty basic, just cut all your solid food out and juice:-). Feel free to PM me if you need to know anything.
  12. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just dropping by before i get ready for work, at 2.30am
    Anywho great little run up to the TTT rally last weekend.
    No real dramas on the track and good to catch up with old faces... Gotta do more but life gets in the way i guess at times.
    Hope everyone's in a good place at the moment
    Sfcootz, fayeslane, Canary and 2 others like this.
  13. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Been good - just read about FR700 passing, in Fuck Cancer thread - now crying
    never met him but had many great conversations with him on XS650 Appresh thread in 'Olds Cool'
    Ride on mate

Baza
    Sfcootz and JohnG. like this.
  14. Ockrocket

Ockrocket Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still hanging in here..
    Working on making changes.. slow progress, two steps forward, one back.. but that's better than one forward and two back.
  15. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Surgery on the 18th of this month, remove the lower bowel, sew up the round brown and crinkly, bag for the rest of my life. I did expect it but it’s still a headfuck. Dealing with it, there’s lots of support and info and I’ve talked to a few who have been living with a stoma for many years- common thread is it all fades into the background and becomes the “new normal” after a short period. On the up-side after the resection and a further round of chemo I’ll be cured of cancer, and I won’t have to dump the shitter as often in the Moho.

How’s the move going Baza? Still looking around? I don’t envy you mate, we keep thinking about moving back to Tas, we’ve still got a house down there, but the amount of crap I’ve accumulated in the last twenty is a bit daunting. Been keeping busy fiddling with bikes and rewiring the DC side of the Motorhome, plus modding a bike trailer to carry the kayak and the pushies in readiness for the Big Fuckofski next year, out the drive and turn left for four months. Trying to stay off the beer and the only way I can accomplish that is to faff about with projects, although the Husky is shitting me. The auto-decomp cam is worn and the thing is a pig to start, it’s the last of the Italian bikes and parts are getting a bit thin on the ground. I like to talk to a human not order online and that is getting harder and harder.
    a2zworks likes this.
  16. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Here thinking of you Pauly, I'll make the effort and drop in when I pick up the ute and bike in 3 or 4 weeks.
    Read that the medical industry is pushing to legislate health cancer causing warnings labelling on all alcohol, I only have one twice/year and never in my life got into the habit, I put it to having a pisshead, prick of a father and maternal grand father.
    So yes a good idea to cut down, difficult though if your friends and family drink, and it's also such a big part of the culture. Brewing your own should be healthier.
    Paul124ac likes this.
  17. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was fortunate enough to be very poor growing up and then obsessed with bikes. No way could I see that paying for booze was worth doing without bike bits and petrol, so luckily I never developed a taste for alcohol. Who's a lucky boy then? Glass more than half full - of something else.

Being a bit of a control freak helped too.
    hunter_greyghost and a2zworks like this.
  18. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brewing your own is a recipe for alcoholism, I used to and had a temprite and keg system but it’s far too easy and accessible. I drink for the taste so that means expensive but also not excessive, average a dozen a week and maybe a bottle of decent red. As with anything moderation is the key.
    a2zworks likes this.
  19. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I have the same traits and never really put much thought about, I just have to be in control, not of others but myself and what affects me.
    OzCr0w and Ron50 like this.
  20. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Too much here I can identify with to not say thank fuck I gave up drinking when I did.
    I'd rather live with the Black Dog and my family than without all 4
    Kiwirich, Canary and a2zworks like this.