Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Andrew, i dont think Richo is criticising people but making a statement about the bastard of a thing itself and what it does to all concerned if it takes control.
    a2zworks, Andrew2 and Sfcootz like this.
  2. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, sorry if i misinterpreted it. I'll delete my post.
    Cruz likes this.
  3. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    I was at Gorman House one day(those that know St Vincents Hospital will know) one of the nurses there pulled me aside, she said to me "one day Barry you need to let go and walk away"
  4. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had that instruction Baz, but in a different circumstance. My dad died from a rare brain stem cancer that took his senses one by one and also radically changed his personality. His last few days were hell, he yelled abuse at my sister and I and threatened violence, a lovely nurse pulled us aside after a head fuck of a night and said “you need to walk, let us deal with it, that’s the disease it’s not your father”. Addiction is a disease. It’s not your kid/partner/mate doing those shitty things it’s the disease. Walking is the best thing for all concerned.

A good analogy @a2zworks, those poor bastards jumping from the flames and horror of the twin towers I’m sure would’ve been thinking the same as what a mate who was unsuccessful at the final solution explained to me what his rationale was. The pain was so great to both him and his family looking on that he felt convinced they would be happy he was no longer suffering, and their sadness would be over. Yeah it looks selfish and incredibly narcissistic but he said at the time he could not make that connection, he was doing it predominately for them. Stupid I know, even he couldn’t understand how he’d justified that.
  5. WILL_S

WILL_S OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer:
  6. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    RUOK day.................I'll be ringing a couple of blokes today.................hope you do the same if you are concerned about someone
  7. wmoncrieff

wmoncrieff New Oldie

Oddometer:
    Yes. For decades. Bikes are a great Anti Depressant
  8. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey @Andrew2
    I also didn't think that @richo360 was being smart about it all.
    As @Cruz put it.

I re-read your post an I can certainly see how you guessed what @richo360 said.

I decided that one of the biggest issues with the Entire Black Dog subject is that most people tip toe around it instead of saying what they really think.
    As far as I'm concerned, it is a disease a lot like cancer.
    Quietly eating away at a body until its just all too much.
    I say fuck it, lets get it out in the sunlight where we can attack it.
    At least we have this thread to discuss it all and don't need to go and shoot 50 people

Let the flames begin

Kiwirich
    Bounty1, Suncoaster, a2zworks and 4 others like this.
  9. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    I didn't think so either.
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    It loves playing and hiding in the shadows unfortunately, only showing itself in the light of day at the worst of times.
    Bounty1, Kiwirich and WILL_S like this.
  11. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know some things happen and they just turn out well.
    You do someone a favour and then they do a kind thing for you one day and then your chewing the fat and laughing with each other as time goes by. You start making plans and doing tasks and
    chatting on the phone and all that stuff and enjoy a shared interest. Developing a friendship.
    You start feeling better about yourself and consequently you feel better about all the other stuff along the way. Good returns good.

So I get back home this arvo and among my list of the good stuff to do I drop in on my neighbour and see how the new water tank and the new fence look. We have a little working bee
    happening this weekend to finish a few things off.
    Well Im given a brand new water-pump. "Here its yours I dont need it and you guys will. Im a little taken-aback at this kind gift. Really Im just so blown away.
    Well then Im in town dropping a wheel off for a new tyre and the workshop guys are under the pump and anyway I was only dropping it off expecting to collect maybe late tomorrow or Saturday and we'er having a chat and I go pay for it so Im in and out next trip and chatting with the guys ...next thing my wheels gone. Like I thought Oh its gone out the back out off the road and Hells bells Im enjoying the chat.
    Maybe a few minutes latter my tyre rolls back in with a grim. Gregs guys at SuperMoto have fitted it up to save me a trip back into town.
    A neighbour found my dog locked outside his yard. today while I was in town. Thought it
    strange he would be out at all and twigged the problem. Put him back.

See good stuff can happen. Really good stuff can happen for really ordinary guys and gals.
    And we do the same for others. Even if its just recounting a days tales.
    RUOK
    Bounty1, Chalkie62, Simosez and 8 others like this.
  12. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mental health ride for @The Apprentice and I, we consider it essential!
    Nice 300k loop with a contemplation lunch stop
    20190914_112759.jpg 20190914_130512.jpg 20190914_133218.jpg
  13. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    For any other Saints supporters.
    There will be a memorial service for Danny (Spud) Frawley to be held at Moorabbin Oval Linton Street on Wednesday the 18th September commencing at 3pm. They will be televising Spud's funeral with the hearse bringing Spud for a final lap of honor in front of his beloved Saints supporters at approx 5pm. The family has requested in lieu of flowers of cards they would appreciate a donation to Beyond Blue in Danny's memory.

They are advising to catch public transport as parking will be difficult.
    ‘manning up in the past was to suffer in silence, manning up now is to put your hand up’.”
    Quote from Danny (Spud) Frawley
    Bounty1 likes this.
  14. Valleyam

Valleyam South Australian Tiger resistance group

Oddometer:
    Angaston, Barossa Valley, South Australia.
    I think this sums it all up pretty well.
    well worth a listen
    JohnG., Canary, Bounty1 and 5 others like this.
  15. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    :clap
  16. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Having an afternoon of physical work - not happy about going under the knife for the carpal tunnel but shit happens
    Kicking the black dog - had a scam phone call - FUCK OFF - time to move somewhere with no fucking reception for anything
    AHhhhhhh - fuck it - time to go shovel some shit - horseshit - get ours as stable waste from a place out the road - all good
    Have fun at the 'Far Cairn' rally this w/e
    Cheers
    Baza
  17. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  18. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing.
  19. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Done and dusted - Triton traytop + 6x4 highside trailer [4m3 total]
    Roses and trees - probably go another two loads around some trees and gardens
    Feeling good after the exercise - gotta knock off the winter fat !!!
    Cheers
    Baza
    a2zworks and Andrew2 like this.
  20. GTinAus

GTinAus nutsplitter

Oddometer:
    This an aerial photo, taken by my daughter, of our place.

The area is called New England, although i doubt England ever looked like this.

We have not had any decent rain for 9 months (ie more than 10mm).

As a farmer, coping with the Black Dog, is something you learn from an early age, although it doesn't get any easier with time.

[​IMG]

The water in this dam, has been pumped from underground, although the level of the bore is dropping dramatically.

The only food my cattle get, is what I feed them everyday.

The Government does not give a brass razoo, preferring to give foreign aid, which usually ends up in Dictators pockets.

[​IMG]

Sorry, just a rant, makes me feel better.