Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Terrabones

Terrabones Flat Strap

Oddometer:
    GT hoping you and every one else gets useful rain soon the whole country needs a good season
    I was on the land for 55yrs and seen a lot of dry spells
    We got burned out along with 80 other farms in 2005 and lived in the black and white world from January until the middle of July
    Relentless Sand Drift , dust and ash on the wind every day not much fun eventually it rained
    Be nice to see another pic from the same angle down the track when it rains
    Cheers Terra
  2. Portly

Portly Plodder

Oddometer:
    I just got home from a head clearing pushy ride from Gundagai to Port Macquarie via the western slopes.
    The change in the countryside is mind boggling. Along old Gundagai road you wonder where the drought is as the fields are a mix of gold and green then on the north side of Young things dry up to the extent where one farmer has cut a half failed crop of canola for feed. Then 30k north east of Cowra a farmer who came to check if I was ok said his crops were holding on.
    I know what you mean about the New England as I often get out that way and some areas are desolate.
    A cousin had to close down her take away food shop at Walcha as the farm workers were laid off and spare cash dried up.
    There is still spirit in the people as was shown by offers of help and offers of bottled water from those running their cattle in the road reserve.
    JohnG. and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  3. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:

Looking at those photos - makes a bloke grateful for where I live, this dry spell is the worst I can remember [62yrs] - how is your water supply - drinking water etc
    What a lot of city folk don't realise is how attached to the lands and animals we become - we have been feeding and supplying water for the local birds - luckily we planted lots of different Rosemary which turns out to be very palatable to the various parrots and very drought tolerant - I've been through the droughts before with livestock, and I'm glad not be going through it again - I do understand
    [​IMG]
    My hidden oasis - again just luck that we have hung on - this year they have to survive on a bare minimum / rainfall only
    [​IMG]
    We have had just enough rain to keep it green but when it dries it will be quick - luckily we still town-water here at Yass, raising the dam wall has helped but you have to have inflows to match your consumption - I just hope all the subdivision around here doesn't come at a cost - all these blocks have a house and nothing else, no trees etc
    This present drought has really highlighted major flaws in the way we look at water - yet some people still don't get it - country people do it hard - soon the city folks will be in the same boat !
    Not a praying man but I'm looking to the skies and doing a lot of wishing !
    I'll wait my turn for the rain - rather see it happen up your way GTinAus - positive vibes brother, and yes you can rant and yell and someone will be here to listen
    Cheers
    Baza
    dunc, JohnG., Hoots and 4 others like this.
  4. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Follow up:
    Today I asked at the Mitta Mitta store about how the black dog with the lump on his face was going.

He wasn't kicked by an irate fuel buyer; he had a seed in his cheek, which he managed to remove himself.

He wasn't at the store today as he has recently become a father, courtesy of the neighbour's dog, and was performing parental duties.

Decisive steps have been taken to ensure the couple will have no more pups.
    Sfcootz and hunter_greyghost like this.
  5. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update.

Hopefully going home from hospital today. Hopefully. Fuck I’m sick of being sick, I walked into this joint asymptomatic, in fact I was feeling the best I’d felt in 2 years. Wham. Bedridden for two and a half weeks, complications from a perforated bowel and small intestine so back into surgery, massive pain- I ain’t kidding here I’ve smashed my knee, broken ribs, burst a ‘roid and had kidney stones but having poo and wee inside you is epic pain. The staff here (ABH) are exemplary from the lovely lady who keeps the floor clean up to the surgeon, very professional but also approachable.

I have to say if I was fully informed about how I’d be feeling and if I didn’t have a wonderful family and fantastic friends then I would’ve taken option B, leave the tumour alone, continue life normally until the cancer returns then check out. I dunno, give me a few more months to assess the headfuck and I’ll probably change that tune but right now I’m smashed physically and mentally. The path came back on the tumour, still a lot of cancer cells and according to the surgeon maybe 2 yrs possibly 5 before it would rear it’s ugly head again. I’m waiting for a full clearance and keeping fingers crossed, still have more chemo to come as I’m young and they are hitting it with everything. Still dealing with the bag but I’m getting used to it.

JB and I have some life-changing decisions to make now, I’ll wait for a few months before deciding anything permanent but man does this disease change your focus.
    Flexo, AUSSIEADV, fayeslane and 7 others like this.
  6. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Paul124ac - any change in lifestyle because of health issues all take time, I don't pretend to know how you must feel but it sounds like it's a lucky thing to have those professionals that you did,
    stay the path and be positive, look at all options with an open mind, diet and natural therapies all help as well the traditional
    heal well
    Cheers
    Baza
    Paul124ac likes this.
  7. Sfcootz

Sfcootz McRibbed for her pleasure Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dammit. I'm really sorry for the pain you're feeling physically and mentally. I sent you a text earlier before I found this. Answers my question for sure and makes me wish I could do anything at all to help. Fuck. :(

For those talking about the drought, I got rained on the entire time I was in Australia. I volunteer to come back since the rained seemed to follow me. I'm only half joking. I can't imagine 9 months without rain. @hunter_greyghost very cool that your patch is keeping the birdies happy.

I've been okay. The shorter days are the pits what with the long hours I work. I expect the dog will be saying hello this winter. I'm really fortunate to be a generally happy camper the rest of the year.

8. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey @Sfcootz
    Maybe you just need to divide your winter up with an Annual trip to warmer places,
    Just to break it up a bit.

Kiwirich
  9. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear about your complications Paul and current situation. :(

Be gentle on yourself as you have had a lot to process these last months. Some days you will be smashing it, others not so much.

Baby steps, and take each day as it comes
    Out6ack, Sfcootz and Andrew2 like this.
  10. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    I couldn’t agree more.

@ kiwirich I probably should pop somewhere the days are longer during winter. The weather here is great because I’m on the coast. It’s primarily being stuck in an office and not seeing the sun.

I may call in sick a few days just to go be outside.
    Andrew2 likes this.
  11. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey @Sfcootz, saw ya text when I got home. Yay I got home. You’ve got my work phone no. Thanks for the sentiment one and all, the sharp wound pain is subsiding but being replaced by aches from things that haven’t worked for nearly 3 weeks, like my urethra. Had a catheter in the poor little thing and it’s decided nah fuck ya, which is unfortunate because one of the complications was a nick in the bladder possibly caused by the cameras and arthroscopic instruments they had poking around in there, result is anything over 200 mls of urine is a risk of a rupture. Talk about stage fright.

One of the chaps in the bed next to me was espousing CBD oil Cootzie, the nursing/doctor staff were pretty interested as am I. Right now I’d try anything to stop the pain. These chemicals they have me on do work but the side effects are nasty, when I was on ketamine I had my dead parents and in-laws taking turns slapping me and telling me to man-up, my mum, who died from complications of a bowel resection, would continually rush up and smack my hand and yell “PAUL” rather loudly. My old childhood Labrador slept alongside the bed for a few days, I could hear the creak of her wicker basket as she moved around, and the occasional crunch as she ate a good-o. This was aside from the weird shit I saw as soon as I closed my eyes, no hallucinations awake but eyes closed and whoa. Strange thing was I’d be annoyed that the hallucination disappeared when I was woken, like a dream that was enjoyable but interrupted, but as soon as I closed my eyes I’d pick up where I left off just like putting a bookmark in. Ask me one day about the script I have for the “Lion King”.
    Flexo, AUSSIEADV, fayeslane and 3 others like this.
  12. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Vote 1 for CBD oil, unfortunately Australia is way behind the eight-ball in this area, lots of CBD Hemp Oil being sold - not worth looking at - gotta get and use the real deal !
    Still plenty of home grown out there but we will keep pushing for Medical Cannabis to be legal, then you have to run the risk of roadside tests - good reason for selling here and heading to the hills !
    'Copperhead Road' has always been a favourite of mine - north of Bairnsdale looks like a good spot to hide - where are you Paul124ac ?
    Can't wait for my ops on my wrists to fix the Carpal Tunnel I've developed, pain is a killer but the frustration level is even worse - not being able to ride long distance is one, the other is loss of strength - can't hold a coffee some mornings !
    Anyway, keep talking and doing what we have to do and maybe I'll be back on deck for a ride soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. - kettle is always on here - for those in the know !
    Cheers
    Baza
  13. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Wodonga and Yack Baza, but I agree north of Bairnsdale is bloody nice country. Ensay, Swifts Creek, Casilis, even Bruthen would do me just fine matey.

Funnily enough the bloke on the other side of me was a long term Yass acreage resident, western edge near the roadhouse, he now lives in Wagga. Esophaegeal cancer poor bastard, cured 12 odd years ago but the radio is now getting to him, burnt out his throat to the point where he couldn’t eat or breathe, had to call the MET for him once, scary watching someone fighting for oxygen. He has a great outlook and is a bloody nice bloke.
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  14. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    @Paul124ac ive been giving it to my mom for her chronic pains so that she doesn’t have to use the nasty opioid crap her doc gives her. She loves the stuff! It seems to work best when it’s combined with a little thc. If you were in the states I’d highly recommend it. I’m not a doctor but I play one on tv. ;)

I find it used for my aches and pains as well. I find taking 5mg of cbd preferable to 500mg of ibuprofen and like that it lets me stay clear headed.
    Paul124ac and Andrew2 like this.
  15. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What sort of money do you pay for it over there Cootzie?.
  16. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    My little country of Uruguay legalised cannabis about 6 years ago and last September started exporting CBD oils to Australia, I hope it gets to you soon @Paul124ac.
  17. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    We certainly do appear to be a backwards bunch here. Either that or the opium growers and manufacturers have a lot of money and political clout. Shoosh Paul. Had a real good chat to one of the pain doctors about history of analgesia and the benefits of THC, a lot of what they use now just didn’t exist a couple of years ago but he agrees that endone is too cheap and easy and is a horrible chemical, made me crook.

A doctor Cootzie? Doctor who? I had you pegged as a naughty nurse. Shoosh Paul.
  18. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    I buy mama oral sprays that work in about ten minutes. Those run about $$55 US with tax for a 250mg bottle. That price is for both 1:1 and 25:1 sprays (ratios indicating how much CBD to THC). The 1:1 can get her pretty loaded. :lol3

I've paid $18 for tins that had 100mg total in the form of delicious gummies. So prices are between 18-25 cents per mg.

@Paul124ac I'll wear whichever costume tickles your fancy. :smooch

I agree: opiates are the pits. I had a crash on the bike about 2.5 years ago. Doc wanted to give me opiates. I said "Yeah, nah". Used Ibuprofen and weed to get better. Opiates make me extremely depressed.
  19. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Codeine is my friend when needed - I have an intolerance to Asprin & Ibuprofen etc - because I have a high pain threshold, I often can 'make the pain go away' but only for so long, :(:
    then I can use Codeine but in moderation - otherwise the old rectal gear gets a bit tight, prefer natural herb when you can find it - might have to take a trip to Nimbin soon !!!! :johntm
    I like the prices over your way - very good value !
    Cheers
    Baza
    Sfcootz likes this.
  20. Sfcootz

Oddometer:
    @hunter_greyghost yes, it's affordable. I can support Mama's habit. :lol3 I'm currently not smoking and have curtailed my drinking. After my Oz trip I was promoted to company president. I'm having a difficult time focusing. Rang my insurance to see if they had a counselor to help with coping mechanisms and ideas to help me regain my concentration. They assume I want a magic pill so before they'll even discuss the issue with me I have to pass a pee test.

I don't want drugs. I want to talk to someone.

:fpalm
    Le Squid and hunter_greyghost like this.