Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    We are looking at moving. One of the things that comes up is health services or lack of. Albury Wodonga is pretty well covered in that respect.
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    We’re pretty lucky up here Keeefffy. Gippsland has a great service as well. I have relatives all over, the ones that suffer unfortunately are the Taswegians.

The catchment for A/W health is somewhere in the vicinity of 250,000 and they’ll subsidise travel and accom if you are 100 Kay’s out or more. Cheaper than building new hospitals I guess. ABH is run and funded by the Vics as well as NSW.
  3. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Sfcootz,
    Quite a common thing I guess - been prescription drug free most of my life
    Rebuilt feet & lower legs [born with Club feet], Arthritis and various other age related maladies means most GPs [General Practitioners / Doctors] want to put me on something,
    I won't use various drugs because of the side effects - my present GP is good value and finally understands, my last blood workup came back good for a 30yr man - I'm 63yr !
    PTSD & Anxiety because of Narcissistic workplace practises [ I was forced to resign ] - is controlled by the good herb but there is still quite a stigma here in Australia about it,
    and because of the legal status - I just poke along and only converse with those that understand and respect my decisions - it's my life after all.
    Been 4yrs since I stopped using tobacco, 4yrs since I was diagnosed with PTSD, which a bit of a shock - I've worked in the military with Vietnam & Korean war vets - it took awhile to accept the facts,
    and it's still an ongoing adjustment for me - one of the reasons we are selling up here is because of issues I still have living here and still seeing those who caused my problems, they got away with it and no comeback happened !
    Anyway, getting near time for a drink so stay safe people and keep talking
    Cheers
    Baza
    a2zworks and LivingdeadCamo like this.
  4. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Firstly congratulations on your promotion. :clap

Are you having issues with other work colleagues since your promotion which could be causing the symptoms that you are experiencing? It is just so frustrating when some health practitioners just want to hand out drugs without actually finding out and understanding why you are feeling like you do. Could you find a good psychologist/counselor to discuss this with privately?
    hunter_greyghost and Sfcootz like this.
  5. Sfcootz

Sfcootz McRibbed for her pleasure Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My colleagues are okay. I've hired new people in the last few months: a sorely needed warehouse worker, a parts guy to replace the bloke who left (that's been stressing me the eff out the last few weeks), a customer service agent who's got potential to handle a lot of the smaller admin stuff, and two outside sales folks. Two of the coworkers are siblings - one of them wishes he were in my role and sometimes acts like I'm his secretary. The siblings have their tensions. Our mechanic doesn't seem to give a shit anymore.

The owner is alright. Changes his mind as often as some folks change their socks. He has ideas but provides little in the way of actual leadership so we have to guess what he wants. He seems to spend all his time traveling these days. . I've been trying to cover our asses with a lot of administrative projects while handling daily operations at our small company. I will go from working with lawyers on important legal docs to sending out tracking information for an order to handling tax filings for VAT to various strategic initiatives I've undertaken to provide all of us with clarity, structure, a clear business strategy and direction so we can go to the next level.

I'm patting my team on the back as much as possible. At times they drive me bananas. But I can't tell them this. I'm stressed out, anxious and feeling isolated in my role. So there's a lot at play here. I'd be really grateful for a mentor.

Sorry to ramble. I'm off to bed. Tomorrow I ride and I'll feel better for a while.
  6. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ramble away, that is what this thread is for :nod

Work is such a huge part of our lives and where we spend the majority of our time. In every work place there are some great people and some huge ar*e holes. Sadly the ar*e holes take up the most of our energy trying to deal with them and their behaviours. Would be great if we could just ignore them and get on with it, which some people can do successfully. Wish I was one of them. :(

It is difficult if you have a manager/owner with poor manager and communication skills. They usually won't listen to others who have a better idea in how to run their business. They only appreciate the staff that are actually running their business, when the staff member has had enough and leaves. Then they realise what they actually don't know about their own business.

I work as a PA and have a manager who treats me as nothing more than a resource. Barely speaks to me except to criticise, or give some basic instructions on what she needs me to do. No hello, goodbye and tells me nothing, then expects me to sort out issues if they arise for work that I have no idea about. Edits my work without telling me after I send to her for feedback, and forwards to others for feedback without including me, so I have no idea of version control. I could go on, but can't be bothered anymore.

Anyhow, it has gotten me down many times in the past 2 and a half years that I have worked for her, to the point that I had to take 4 weeks stress leave as I felt so undervalued, sad and useless. I cried all the time and wanted to leave and get another job, but didn't want to leave my many friends at work. I have very good working relationships with the majority of my work colleagues which kept me going. My manager is very ambitious and ruthless so maybe she will leave for something that she perceives as more prestigious if the opportunity presents itself. I can only hope. :D
  7. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Arseholes usually get what’s coming to them @Canary but unfortunately the collateral damage is large. I’m lucky, I work by myself and largely unmolested but I’ve had micro-managing narcissists and they drag every bugger down. My company has an ombudsmen and I did have a doc written down ready to send about the unethical and bullying tactics of the last manager I had but we all know what happens to that “anonymous” person who calls out bad behaviour. He got done for sexual harassment in the end, a real minor and leaky case but I’m tipping he had no friends above and they grabbed the first instant dismissal complaint and railroaded him. Chin up, we can’t modify others behaviour but we can certainly modify our own.
    Canary and Kiwirich like this.
  8. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Just resigned from a new job. Unworkable situation from my point of view. I wasn't happy and was losing sleep over it. No regrets, being happy matters.
  9. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    Wow! No wonder you are stressed and anxious, I would be too.
    A long time ago I used to have to act up for the boss at a mine site and I used to stress like crazy, my boss was always cool as a lettuce and never stressed.
    I asked him how he did it, he said that he delegated work out as much as possible and he only did the work that he knew that it would be out of others ability. He only applied pressure to people that weren't pulling their weight, soon enough those leave or are sacked and new blood is injected into the crew.
    I'm self employed these days, I take a pill every morning and I love going to work.
    Sfcootz and Kiwirich like this.
  10. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can live in hope that you will be around to see the ar*eholes get their comeuppance. They certainly cause a great deal of damage to those around them who they use to get what they want, with little or no regard for them once they have served their purpose. I agree that you can't report their bullying and unacceptable behaviour as encouraged by HR, as I have yet to see any reporting be of any benefit to the complainant.

I have modified my responses to an extent, to her unreasonable and frustrating behaviour , and will only leave if and when the time suits me.
    Paul124ac and Kiwirich like this.
  11. Sfcootz

Sfcootz McRibbed for her pleasure Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope bitchy mcbitchface moves on. She sounds awful. We at least have pretty good relationships with our coworkers and that helps. I'm pretty even keeled at work and try to be supportive of my folks.

Yeah. I have grown his company considerably since I joined 10 years ago. I quit at the end of 2015 and he begged me to stay on part time to at least manage the $$$$ and the overseas vendors. After I came back from a month away in Oz he asked me to work there full time. I think that when he returns I need to calmly explain that shitting everywhere and leaving lead me to being stressed. But honestly overall it's worth sticking around a bit. It's not dire, but the last month has absolutely been rough.

I'm trying to get folks trained to do as much of my little stuff as possible. Then I'll have more time to actually spend with people on their challenges, offering support, etc. It's going to get better. And if it doesn't I will be out the door before I get too much older. :deal

Thanks for listening all. Today's throttle therapy did me good.
  12. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats what we are all here for, and you also do your fair share of listening. :-)

It looks like you need to have a "courageous conversation" with your boss and just explain that his behaviour is not doing him, you or the business any favours. It sounds like he has a great deal of trust in your abilities, so maybe he will let you give him guidance on what things he can do for the business without causing stress to anyone. Can only try. :D

Good luck with it all

As for McBitchface, she wants me to leave as I think that I make her uncomfortable as I am pretty straight up and honest and hold her accountable for her bad behaviours, respectfully of course. So guess what I am stayin put. :D
    Sfcootz, Kiwirich, fayeslane and 2 others like this.
  13. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,
    How are you travellin today? :ear
  14. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Getting better everyday. Still in pain. Just had a shower and removed a lot of the dressings etc and had a long hard stare in the mirror trying to get my head around the modified me. I will say the brain has healed well after the opioid assault and I could move from “fark” to “oh well, it is what it is” pretty rapidly.
    Sfcootz, a2zworks, gavmac and 4 others like this.
  15. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Get better quickly or I'll come and visit you :wink:
    Sfcootz and Paul124ac like this.
  16. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am happy to hear that you are getting better Paul and yes you will adapt to the modifications. :-)

Hey Keeef, sorry to hear that you had to leave your job, but as you say your mental health is more important. :nod I hope that you get that dream job if that is what you are looking for. :0-0
    fayeslane likes this.
  17. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Keeeffy, always welcome mate. Got a spare house in Tas if you wanna try the southern thing, vacant from April.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  18. fayeslane

Oddometer:
    Temptress :sweeti
  19. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Being in Beechworth i reckon i could locate some THC for ya mate. I reckon i could still role a joint from memory if you needed. That or i could have a go at whippin up a bong for ya mate?

:bmwrider
    Paul124ac likes this.
  20. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jan this year I had a tug on a 3 paper which I hadn’t done for 25 years I reckon. Was on a mates balcony watching a sunset over Storm Bay and he was having a smoke and I thought shit that smells good. Massive whitey and projectile vomited off the balcony all over his new Porsche.

I’ll pass thanks Al.
    a2zworks likes this.