Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    More nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs Baza. Possibility of some thunderstorms thru here, last lot lit the fires that are still burning.

How’s ya dad?
  2. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Not real flash but will be over there tomorrow to help with a few things - taps needing washers changed etc.
    hope to catch up with community nurse etc as well for their opinions of how the old fella is, physically better than most his age - pity about the dementia
    Mother seems to be able to take care of herself OK but is getting frail physically, getting them to use services available is the big problem
    Authorities go through their usual assessments and luckily locals are better than some I've had to deal with when I was in Disabilities !
    Cheers
    Baza
  3. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    How's everyone on here ? - just touching base - looking on the fire app. - bloody lot of burnt country !!
    Been good out here - no rain & lots of smoke but otherwise - just frustrated
    [​IMG]
    Photos are great to remind a bloke of the good years
    [​IMG]
    Even the F#####g wet ones !!!!
    Property being valued and on market in early January - very dry looking which in itself is a bonus - lack of grass is fire retardant in it's self !
    Stay Safe - have a Merry Christmas and a bonza New Year
    Cheers
    Baza
    Big Willy, ToriMish, Bounty1 and 4 others like this.
  4. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    My sister in law illustrates childrens books. The latest one is about a little girl coping with her Dads' depression. It's excellent and might be of use to someone.

To be released first week of February.

20191225_145001.jpg
  5. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    My problems have disappeared and been replaced with concern for those in the fire-zones,
    those that lost everything, hearing of lost communities is really bad to imagine - I just want it to rain but that's not going to stop it either
    Stay safe and let us know if we can help
    Cheers
    Baza
    JohnG., Kiwirich, buckscreek and 2 others like this.
  6. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Hope everyone is OK ? Just thought I'd touch base - been crook and the brain is on overload
    Will be at Goulburn Motorcycle Swap-meet [if it's still on ?]
    Catch up there for a yarn
    Cheers
    Baza
  8. ehbt

ehbt n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi hgg, sorry to hear about the freewheeling brain.
    Mine has been doing the same lately due to various goings on. Definitely in a better place since I last posted though. Been told I look a lot happier too so small steps. Been a tough 25 months, a few life decisions along the way so far.

Take care everyone, look after yourselves.
    Cheers
    Ehbt
  9. ehbt

ehbt n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your posts hgg. Still a way to go for me but posts by you and others sharing their journey have helped me immensely.

I hope all of you have a more positive 2020!
    Please contact someone. some of us are not very vocal but if it helps to vocalise/document there are a lot of listeners. I've got a comfy couch if anyone is in my area and would like an ear or even just quiet time without many words.
    All the best.
    Ehbt
  10. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    I love this thread :raabia
    moffit virtue likes this.
  11. tradern

tradern One wheel

Oddometer:
    I know this may be a long shot for most whom are fighting the darkness...

Through my own research of looking into gut health and it's effect on the brain.

It's looking to be really worth looking at getting into some probiotics and generating good gut flora to help the battle against the dog. It seems almost comical to think some fermented food and assisting your stomach as much as possible could have such an immense effect. Yet the evidence and research are showing correlation that's hard to ignore when you're desperate for a better headspace.

I've begun making sauerkraut again. Getting into the kefir from Woolies and also will start brewing Kombucha again.

Shall leave it at that. It's a deep subject and maybe a little bit out there. I sure don't want to derail the goodness here. Also my intention isn't to say this is a cure, just worth looking into for a holistic approach to health.
  12. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    My partner is a Natural Therapist, and yes good gut health is important, celiac-like symptoms from bread etc - can have big effects on the body, as well as the usual fast-foods and poor diet in general,
    we use Probiotics [usually when needed] and yes they do work depending on conditions effecting the person involved, there are many forms out there - so research and try some to see what works for you
    Cheers
    Baza
    tradern likes this.
  13. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a riding buddy who is investigating this and has set up a non-profit foundation to fund and further explore the link between gut flora and mental and physical well-being. I could put you in touch with him if you like? It's consuming him, he is very passionate about it.
    Ron50 and hunter_greyghost like this.
  14. notsoslow

notsoslow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this article was in the SMH this morning, I know exercise was a great help getting my young bloke through some problems. The research is showing a bit of extra strength work is bloody good for getting the brain back on track.
    Is strength or cardio better for mental health?
    A new Australian study has found adding just one strength training session to your weekly fitness regime can lead to significant mental health improvements.
    http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...r-for-mental-health-20200113-p53r26.html?btis
    Ron50 and hunter_greyghost like this.
  15. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My theory is that, apart from the beneficial chemicals the body produces when under stress, ANY activity that requires concentration acts as a circuit breaker in going round and round in your head fixating on the current thing that irks you.

As Samuel Johnson said, "Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”

More relevant for us would be: It concentrates the mind wonderfully having to devote all your skill and power to keeping you alive when you're really pushing the limits on a bike.
    Kiwirich likes this.
  16. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was a three to five day a week attendee at a local crossfit gym a little over 4 years ago, I was fit, strong and had always had a physical job.
    Prior to that I'd had a couple of years of having an active lifestyle, Surfing, touch footy, track days on the roady etc but no actual training of sorts since giving football away in the early 2000's.

I hurt my back riding the enduro bike and took a few months off the gym and then started riding again. This time I had a tiny little off but had fallen awkwardly on my right hand, I didn't think much of it but the longer the ride went on the more I struggled. I headed home and ended up at the hospital with a broken wrist (I already had a pin in my scaphoid). Later to find out I had arthritis and was told I should stop riding altogether.

The enduro bike got sold, I changed career paths and took an office job so that I wasn't reliant on my physical strength for income. I also never went back to the gym.
    This would be the beginning of my decline in physical and mental health.

I was ill prepared for the sedentary life of working massive hours in front of a computer, long commutes, eating opportunistically, ignoring my physical fitness and the creeping in of mental health issues.
    I started to feel down to the point it was becoming hard to keep a lid on it and I started fraying at the edges, snapping at my kids and wife and almost being eternally angry or frustrated for what, I couldn't know.
    It all kind of crept up on me and before I knew it, I was the most unfit and unhappy I'd ever been. I couldn't find joy in anything.

My family was on eggshells around me and at a breaking point I was in tears unable to fathom what was going on but, I knew something wasn't right.
    The anxiety would magnify any time I was to go to crowded places like the shopping centre, kids sporting events or small spaces filled with people. The knowing I had to do something like that was enough to trigger me.
    I felt as though my existence was detrimental to my families happiness and I decided to see a doctor. Before long was diagnosed with a giant dose of anxiety with a sprinkle of depression for good measure.
    I was in shock. I don't know what I expected to find out but it wasn't that.

I tried a few doctors and professionals, different meds but nothing really worked for me. I did learn some good techniques in identifying and dealing with issues by talking to professionals but I found it was all talk and very little change would come from it. What I did learn was that there had been signs that this had been an underlying issue for years and that I had pushed on and ignored them as just silly thoughts.

Just when I thought I was getting on top of things some real character building issues came up at work and I've spent the better part of the last 18 months getting through that and trying to get my health on track but found I was spreading my mental capacity to thin.

The biggest changes have come through discussing everything with my very understanding wife and making positive changes such as eating better, exercise and recognizing the first signs of that negative thought spiral and making a conscious decision to flip it and look at the positives in my life such as a great family, friends and riding.
    I still tend to avoid crowds, my fitness and health journey is in it's early stages and hasn't been without setbacks but I feel like working out is almost like fighting back.
    If I workout and eat properly, It feels like I get to choose the battlefield and the dog likes to try and convince me otherwise.

I've found proper nutrition, regular exercise, sleep and celebrating the small things are the keys to fighting back.
    Not that I'm in front or on top of all this but with failing and setbacks, if I focus on those few elements and keep trying to make those things the priority and continue to persist with making good habits, the dog doesn't seem to have it all it's own way.

I've also found sanctuary in riding. It makes me feel good even if I can't get away for a few days but merely a few hours punting around the local state forests.
    A good ride is like revitalization, therapy of the finest order and will lift me up out of the worst holes. Even if I don't want to gear up and go initially, I always enjoy it once I'm out there and never fail to arrive home smiling.
    A weekend away will keep me going for months.

I don't like to talk about it much and I really don't enjoy when people try and sympathize or reassure me if you know what i mean? I have a few close friends who know what it is to me but for the most part I'm normally pretty private about it.
    But, I've been an avid reader in here for years, have followed the ups and downs of a few regulars, picked up some good pointers and I had this typed up for months but hadn't been able to hit the post button.
    I think I felt like I needed to put it out there for some sort of unburdening process maybe but broadcasting it to the internet, did I really want that? I typed it up at work one day when I was having a tough week but since, things are looking and feeling like I'm heading in the right direction so fug it, here it is.

I've learnt that sometimes the easiest way forward is to let it out so it doesn't just fester in my head.
  17. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep talking, mate.

I can really empathise with the bit about finding the motivation to gear up and get out for a ride and then being so glad you did.
  18. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to anyone in particular. Just saying.

Unfortunately the system we live in starts digging a hole for us from the day we are born and we continue digging from there. A few lucky ones realise they are in a hole and jump out while others continue digging all the while knowing there's less light coming into the hole as it gets deeper but are unable to stop.
    Ask yourself, when did this all start and why is it happening. If you're honest with yourself you may be shocked with the answer and not like it.
    Eat well, exercise well, sleep well, relax and meditate. Take time to do nothing at all. A few minutes a day to just sit and free up your mind.

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”

tradern, LivingdeadCamo and a2zworks like this.
  19. tradern

tradern One wheel

Oddometer:
    Wisdom of the highest order presented before us. Excellent and nutritional content.

Certainly the choice that needs to be made. Just that it's a super personal thing.
    Colonial Mick, Andrew2 and Ron50 like this.
  20. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    Some humour in a depressing time. We were trying to put out a fire that was heading for my neighbours fencing and sheds before it got to the other side of the gully and took off. We were all totally stuffed and not mountain goats, then we heard that unmistakable sound of a helicopter getting louder and louder! Finally, we can have him drop a load and probably enable us to get the upper hand.
    As it got closer and lower it turned and it wasn't the salvation we thought it was but just the coppers leaning out taking photos for who knows what reason.:lol3
    Anyway that one ended well as there was a big fire break cut in the bush and we back burnt from it. When I went home that night I had a big drink of ash flavoured water had a bath in a horse feed bucket, went and got into my smokey bed with the sooty pillow and dreamt of a flood.

CHEERS !
    IMG_8946.JPG