Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Currently in Hobart. Breaking news is free car and bike travel on the Spirit April 1 to June 30.
    a2zworks and Paul124ac like this.
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’ve got permits in place? It’s a brave new world here Pablo. Be good to see you, we only drove into Hbt for one day to get the bike fixed and have a meal at Kalbi, I did wave towards your place as we headed up to Hill St to get some supplies.

Looking around at real estate Keeeffffy? Some scary prices out there. There’s a few blocks left in a little subdivision in Richmond right next door to JB’s sister, thought of you. Very arty Richmond. We stayed at Oatlands for a night, I could live there.
    a2zworks likes this.
  3. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Just casing the joint:D

Catching up with Daughter 2 who lives at Midway Point.

Richmond/Campania a bit dry for me. Grove area might be a chance.
    a2zworks likes this.
  4. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Ive just discovered how focus on one target can take your eye of the stuff you have at expense.
    Back storey...lots of moves all involved looking after our stuff and making do.
    Work got good but time got short.
    Then I'm still now building a house. Last mid year I got a battery for my TDM. Like back in June.
    This bike was ridden to this shed two years back.
    I finally gave myself permission to just play with my bikes on the second last day of my leave( a week ago) Lets put that battery in which went easy as but
    the fuel has gone rotten
    And so has the tank. Not rusted through but bad.

So today a week latter its hit me that my attention has been off path and at a cost. Not in cash only but in how well or how badly I've walked this path of the last 5 years.
    I could cry about it and be a big tit but no I just have to be more mindful of the general picture.
    Writing notes and making a list for achievable tasks weekend by weekend.
    That's what I have to do.
  5. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:

Can relate to what you've been saying - only I'm juggling too many targets, and stumbling over most of them,
    Lists can be OK but sometimes you get drawn in by them and end up sidetracked - well I do anyway !
    Age, arthritis and 2020 haven't helped - supposed to be getting my left wrist done - maybe,
    anxiety levels are high with all this Covid shit and the last place I want to be is in a hospital,
    Anyway, take care people - and stay safe
    Cheers
    Baza
    JohnG., gateman and Kiwirich like this.
  6. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Baza.
    Years ago I busted my neck and I suspect I became a bit more target...needs focused as each task as simple as just rolling onto my side could take a bit of set up..
    By the end of my first 4 or 5 months I had learned to be more rational about the stuff that got to the list.
    But I'm sure to this day adding to much to the list helped me find wriggle room to learn to accept small daily failures. Not big stuff just abnormal shit.
    I broke my neck in 2011. In 2012 I did the Border Run. Not well and not smart but I had that target and achieved it. I'm sure to this day I stuffed up plenty of simple stuff too.

My lists are kept simple and only three entry's. Now days If I do pull of those three items Im allowing my self to build another list that day and it might just sit.
    Stupid thing is Ive lost focus and attention and that list started to revolve about one cosmos. That's the bit I'm fixing now.
    Ciovid perhaps made my vision narrow to the build. In fact I'm sure it has.
    a2zworks and hunter_greyghost like this.
  7. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    gateman;-
    Since my Anxiety attack in 2015, short-term memory - concentration - comprehension and physical degradation = have been my constant companions
    Letting go of the past [PTSD], has been my biggest hurdle, anger issues cloud judgement decisions - list goes on
    Since selling up and moving [big stress eliminated] - getting into some form of routine is an issue -
    many years of nightshift and hard physical work really don't lay a good grounding for retirement !
    Anyway, I'm sure you're on the right track and I hope like hell that I am too - the fact we're on here talking about these things is proof of that
    Cheers
    Baza

[​IMG]
    PS - doing some block laying around tank-stand - should be fun = 39c predicted for today @ Cowra!
  8. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is probably one of those few places we can just let it out for review Baza.
    Man I love that tractor. Proper good job happening there mate.
    All of your first line too.
  9. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Ah, 'Mr Lu Fung' is a mighty little bloke - 30hp of Pit Ponies - sadly needs work, no brakes ! No 4WD anymore ! No electrics much since the smoke escaped from under the dash !!!!
    [​IMG]
    He will lift more than 250kg - Loader rating !!
    [​IMG]
    Was handy in wet situations when 4WD was working - diff lock still works !
    [​IMG]
    Sold all the gear when times were tough and cash was needed - would love to have that posthole digger again !
    All good - gotta go and mix mud for the boss to do paving !!
    Cheers
    Baza
    JohnG., gateman and Dukehunt like this.
  10. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neighbours agreed to move it to its present location its down in the bush out of sight to most, meanwhile his long time partner Threlly was hoping to put a memorial just below the site of the main house, but its in the courts with a nephew...
    Ron50 likes this.
  11. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I noticed a couple of weeks back that the ute had been moved. The trailer's still in the same place but the regrowth is even hiding that.
    JohnG. likes this.
  12. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any noobie to the black dog want a career in the dark just move to the Armidale shire. Armidale NSW.
    Without a dough the biggest cunt hole in Australia formed by the most evil council structure in a regional city.
    Pox on their offspring...evry damn one of them.
  13. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Super Moderator Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's going on @gateman ?

Kiwirich
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  14. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Kiwirich said :ear
    Haven't been posting much, but still checking in. :-)

New place looks great Baza :nod
    John G, say hi to your lovely lady :wave
    JohnG., hunter_greyghost and a2zworks like this.
  15. JohnD01

JohnD01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ex military, ptsd and broken back.
    Crap days are the norm, not much interest in most things I used to enjoy.
    New Guzzi helps when not sleeping, go for a ride to clear the mind.
    Pensioned off in 2000 from regular work, but the military accepted my conditions with only two years of fighting them. Many usually top themselves during this process, very sad state of affairs fighting Dept of Veterans Affairs, but when your in, they are extremely helpful.
    See what tomorrow brings.
    Thanks for the rant.
    TrevB, Paul124ac, a2zworks and 3 others like this.
  16. hunter_greyghost

Oddometer:
    Gateman - what's happening - talk to us mate

Cheers
    Baza
    Ron50 likes this.
  17. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @JohnD01 keep the Guzzi slow. I was fighting some of the the same demons you had and I was pushing my Buell a little too hard on my"clear my head" rides. I had a bad wreck and re evaluated my riding style.

The black dog feeding on the other horrors makes me fearless..... so now I blast on trails at 30-50mph, not twisty tarmac at 110+.

The black dog is still a constant companion during the dark days of winter, but seems satisfied to wait until closer to spring before really chewing on my soul. I could use a day on 2 wheels right now, but my snow machine is what keeps me sane for now.
    JohnD01 and Ron50 like this.
  18. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost a mate recently, front line secret squirrel stuff pensioned off, he then worked FIFO offshore and retired fully 3 years ago. They dropped in last year, his wife told me he's finally relaxing and getting some sleep, went thru the DVA crap and was very active in helping other vets. We got the phone call 3 weeks ago now, first thing I thought was the final solution, he'd had some recent surgery and had a clot apparently, very very sad. As my ADF mates say, they break you down and rebuild you in the Military Mold, only problem is they forget to reverse that on discharge. 3 mates now who did high stress hush hush overseas work have now dropped off the peg in their 50's from heart issues, stress is a killer.

On the home front I'm sitting here wondering WTF at the moment. A scan in Sept showed a few shadows on my liver and a small growth in my stomach. Had another scan this week and waiting for the results. Fuck. Don't know if I can go thru chemo again, last round fucked me up, still not firing on all cylinders 12 months later. I need to chat to some of you retired folk, I need to prioritise, I'm 54 and pretty certain I won't see 65 but not willing to roll the dice I guess- I have a deferred annuity work super scheme that doesn't mature until then but I do have an SMSF and investments. As a good mate who died from MND said all his life, "It'd be a handy thing to know the date on the inside of your forehead". He found that date out, it was 3 months after diagnosis, it didn't help him to know it.
    Big Willy likes this.
  19. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a great job with good pay, conditions and colleagues but all it took was getting a new dog that needed companionship for me to make the right decision and retire. So glad I did. Never been happier - but there's a question over my little mate's health at the moment so I'm glad I've had the last eight years with him.

Little response about the military: The neighbours announced that their very attractive, petit young daughter was about to join the army. I expressed my concerns about the ideologues who won't accept the physical differences between men and women and the dangers of permanent back damage to small women carrying huge kit.

And so it came to pass. At least she's out now but perhaps with back pain for the rest of her life.
    JohnD01 and Paul124ac like this.
  20. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm using up my LSL at the moment and on the verge of retirement and to be honest I feel a bit lost. Is this normal?. I've spoken to a good mate on here who retired a few years ago and he said it takes a while to adjust?.

The first two weeks were great but the last few months have been a bit ordinary. I can't seem to find any direction and I generally feel like shit. Motivation is a problem which is why I went for a ride yesterday. Maybe it's the uncertainty or quitting in the current world climate. I had to finish up because work was killing me. I've been working non stop since I was 15 ( 60 in March ) and it's just worn me out.

I'm actually heading to the doctors today to get a check up and try and find out why I'm lacking energy and drive.

Most people I talk say it's the best thing they ever did but I'm just not finding that at the moment. What am I doing wrong here.