Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'day Andrew,
    I'm a long way off retirement but those I know who have successfully moved into retirement reckon a bit of routine or structure keeps them moving forward.
    My old boys routine is something like:
    Up in the morning for an hour or two kayak(weather permitting), home for breaky and a bit of internet surfing then onto the garden and house chores, then pushy in the car and a ride around the lake to a cafe for lunch or a beach walk and swim then home for a feet up spin of the vinyl and a few beers.
    Plans catch ups a couple times a week with his retired friends and generally try's to get out of the house so he keeps moving for most of the day and then it's relax in the arvo. He mows a handful of lawns for beer money a day or two a week as well. I think it's more to fill the void of not working and partially to get him away from my mother haha.
    aussie dubber and Andrew2 like this.
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a common theme Andrew. The consensus amongst my retired mates is it takes about a year to realise you are no longer wanted/needed/useful, then another year to realise you are fucking glad you are no longer wanted/needed/useful. That old saying, "when I'm lying on my deathbed I won't be saying shit I wish I had stayed working longer". We all measure our worth by our career, it doesn't make sense and in the end its not how others remember us, we should all measure ourselves by Ron's standard, how we treat our dog.

Motivation is a whole other issue, I need a shit load of it currently. The list of things I need to do is a bit overwhelming so I just invent stuff to distract me from it. Like faffing about on bloody motorcycle forums.
  3. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd been training for retirement for decades so it wasn't such a shock to the system. With a full-time 9 to 5 job the contrast would be much greater.

And I just got the good news that old mate Ruben doesn't have cancer but polycystic kidney disease, so he should be around a bit longer yet.
    Big Willy, Dukehunt, Kiwirich and 3 others like this.
  4. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ruben? Named after the painter, the Duracell man or the bloke who is crucified every year in the Philippines?
    Ron50 likes this.
  5. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Andrew, have you heard of SAD, seasonal affective disorder?

The further from the equator people are the more of a problem it is. Apparently, it's to do with the level of light reaching into the nether regions of the brain and the resulting effect on hormone levels.

Treatment can involve intense light - or just spending more time outside. So vegging inside can be part of a vicious cycle. Making the effort to get outdoors for a while each day can make the difference - preferably without sunnies.
    Big Willy and Andrew2 like this.
  6. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All our dogs were rescue dogs and that's the name he came with.

Annie had been named Maddison and some other far too trendy and modern name (Montana) so we felt compelled to change her name.

We renamed her after my great grandmother that I mentioned in this story.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/image-from-australia.1326428/page-81#post-37862902

There's always someone worse off.
    Dukehunt and Kiwirich like this.
  7. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mates I spent a lot of time for two years past getting council to attend to their drainage issue that floods my place. I spent alot more money that I had to address as much of this within my block.
    Then the administrator got on the job and some remedial work got done and its worked. Now because some stupid couple got over excited about water running down an open village storm water drain after a reasonable fall ( water in a drain in a designated area to flow on crown/council land) They the council have decides in their infinite wisdom to ...cut a channel to direct the water

back through my place.

Two fucking years and they will land lock a block in the process too.

So since my last post Ive presented our case and offered some solutions and shown the issue to the PA and had 4 meetings and at this time my post 3172 above still stands.
    Fuck'm anyway its only a house not like your heart or liver or your kids.
    Council not worth a shit rag in a rabbit's camp.

Sorry for the slow reply guys. Very sorry for thatr.
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  8. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That experiment in a challenging environment will without a dought be life long
  9. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Look it as the start of the next 30 years not the end of something. Start planning.
    Andrew2 likes this.
  10. JohnD01

JohnD01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a MT09 tracer and was heading that way, so I bought the Guzzi to slow down a bit, so far its working

Attached Files:

X-wing fighter likes this.
  11. JohnD01

JohnD01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took me several years to come to terms with 'retirement', I have learned to not be too hard on myself on the 'off days'. Choose your social outlets carefully, they can do more harm than good sometimes.
    TrevB likes this.
  12. JohnD01

JohnD01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took me several years to come to terms with 'retirement', I have learned to not be too hard on myself on the 'off days'. Choose your social outlets carefully, they can do more harm than good sometimes.
  13. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    We share the same month for the 60 thing Andrew. Similar time in the work place too. So my heads been around what comes next. I'm fucked now but I've kept my plan to/focus on the tasks I need to finish . Thats the house build.
    But I recognised about 1991 I would probably need to keep working after most had retired so Im now fine with at least that concept. Ive what 5 years to go before retirement age and Ill die before then if Im expected to last in this game for 5 more years. So if I knock this house over this year then Ill do another year while changing across to my next income stage. My art and sculptural work. While my brain is sharp enough.
    Of course a moose might drop from the sky next Thursday and change all that too.
    I dont expect to retire as such but I do expect Ill have some inertia and make a few crap choices along the way. Some time before this happens I need to learn a new skill...one of these modern ones though.
    Andrew2 likes this.
  14. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    That's where I'm heading - spending the next 20 or 30 years getting the hang of it :0-0
    gateman likes this.
  15. GTinAus

GTinAus nutsplitter

Oddometer:
    I supposedly retired a few years ago.

At one stage I wondered what I would do, as being a farmer, which included being a dairy farmer, up until 1985, I am used to being active from basically sun up to sunset, 365 days per year.

I did consider doing something artistic, but quickly realized I don't have an artistic bone in my body.

To fund our retirement (self super funded small farmers... ha ha), we sold off one of our properties, and kept about 200 acres that our house is on.

During the drought I sold off all our sheep, and kept about 35 cows & a couple of bulls.

The work load is about 15% what I was used to, but if I felt like it, I could do more.

For example, I can still get kicked in the nuts, whilst trying to denut a young calf. In other words, I am still doing something I know, even though not to the same extent.

Now many who retire, want to have nothing to do with what they did all their life, but in reality, we have programmed ourselves, all our working lives, to be doing something.

Stopping suddenly, without an alternative something to fill the void, can in some cases be as good as a death sentence, and I personally knew a couple of friends that this was the case.

I am also a Group Officer, and an Aircraft Officer (we control where and when aircraft are used for firefighting, more complicated than that, but it makes us feel good) for the RFS.

The point I am trying to make, I guess, is to find something rewarding, such as being a community driver, or someone who delivers meals on wheels. There is nothing as satisfying, which goes to promote health and happiness, than helping less fortunate than yourselves.

In relation to a lot of retirees dream of selling up, buying a caravan or mobile home, and hitting the great open road, may want to try it in small doses first. Have seen too many times, husband and wife of 50 years, who have in reality, spent very little time in each other's exclusive company, suddenly find they cannot stand each other, ending in divorce.

Trust me, retirement sometimes is not what it is dreamed about.

So after this lengthy tirade, I guess my advice looking to retirement, is to start planning early, and I don't mean in a financial way.
    TrevB, a2zworks, gateman and 7 others like this.
  16. PeasantFarmer

PeasantFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally agree.

My father has tried to “retire” a couple of times, and now at 76 has reached a happy medium of knowing he can come out to the farm at any time and check stock or take the loader and push up some fallen timber or pick rocks with the rock bucket. He isn’t interested in playing bowls, is not a workshop type of bloke, he has always measured his worth as a human by work and making money. He initially thought he could retire cold turkey but the black dog found and bit him. He’s good now, just physically stuffed from years of hard graft.
    a2zworks, Kiwirich, Big Willy and 2 others like this.
  17. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Busy as f##k at the moment with renovations, tradies letting us down so struggling with DIY..., working a 60-70hr a week job...
    Retirement or leave without pay when my wife was fading away with a terminal disease I just can handle.
    I have to be gainfully contributing, even though some weeks are tough as physically and mentally, maybe in a few years I'll figure out a compromise...
  18. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an old Boss whom I had to let go. He didnt know or perform in his task as he claimed.
    Hes about 82 these days. We still chat and are ok with each other. Now he's asking me?... how does one relax. I dont want to retire.

My reply is simple...so don't retire but please do learn to trust your men. That way you don't have to leave your home as your in the last days and your property will be as its always been while your in your last few seasons.
  19. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    That figuring out process is maybe fast some days and slower others.
    Whats with the DIY struggle mate. We might be having the same problem or we might have an answer between us.
    PM me if you think its worth it.
  20. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Always setting goals is good way to be - the frustration is when others let you down [tradies] - that I can understand
    Framework up - roof on yet ? Winter is coming and where you are - that means extreme cold - other than pushing on with DIY I've got no answer for you
    Knowing you two - it'll get done - wish I could get down and help for a couple of days but got too much happening in our lives too
    So much for retirement !
    Cheers
    Baza
    JohnG. and a2zworks like this.