Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Nandewar

Nandewar Sound sound the clarion

Oddometer:
    There is heaps of potential here. Cockies are particularly prone to the dog and unfortunately have the means and aptitude to do very silly things. I have lost 3 friends to suicide and know of many other farmers who have succumbed. There is a lot of work being done but more is needed.

I know getting on a bike OFF the farm certainly helps me when things are tough ON the farm. I would certainly support something if it was possible. Keep us informed.:clap And good on you:clap
  2. M.R.

M.R. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I was you I would print out what you have typed out here. Then I would send it off to Jeff Kennet. He may well be a prick, but he was the first high profile person to admit to it. If you can get him onside you will have national coverage, especially if you were to offer to wear "beyond blue" stickers or some such. You may also want to approach Tony Locket who was recently with Glenn Hoffman Racing, or maybe even Glenn himself. Search the threads, there are some high profile people here. Justin Hunt from the safari, maybe work out a deal where beyond Blue throws a few dollars at the Safari. We all know someone who suffers from it, those of us from military backgrounds may know more than most. But aim high here. You are on to something, red nose day started like this. Call Jeff, and I think you will be on your way. If I can help I will.

cheers

Me? I'm not depressed I just get tired now and then:D

3. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    So.....was that before the Underbelly screening or after :rofl
  4. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
  5. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yeah mate your unfortunatley dead right there (pun intended)

I think an ag bike challenge we could market it as the next generation postie :wink::wink: we could raise funds for beyond blue or a similar charity!!

We could have a cutting championships for ag bikes, or an ag bike camp draft with a few little gymkhana events like barrel races and the like.

you know the stuff we used to do at pony club!!

all that money gone into that equine center in tamworth be a shame to use it properly:wink::wink:
  6. desert rider

desert rider SWL

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys
    I have been plagued with this for a number of years , its a real bastard to deal with and can really mess you up at times, and as you say its not all that visable to an outsider and most people would be surprised that you have a problem with it.

I feel a bit strange posting this as it is the first time I have admitted the problem outside of the family,and mainly because of the general view taken that deppression is all bs.

The only thing that really keeps me going at the minute is my kids and my involment with bikes, so Im keen to help.
  7. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    Desert Rider you just reminded me of a comment that I heard, said to my mate,when he said he had depression.He was told to F*#$en wake up to himself cause its all bullshit!! . That doesn't help at all.

Did anyone hear of that bloke who flew the ultra lite around Australia for the Beyond Blue cause? He got massive coverage here on the radio all because one fella phoned in to let the announcer know and it snow balled from there.
    Riding a bike on some long distant haul would be good.Then have the Spot Tracker so everyone could watch on the net.Sat Phone to keep the media informed (I will lend mine) and maybe something out of the ordinary to attract attention going through the towns,like a flag or similar? Or paint the whole bike blue? .....(not mine:lol3 ) Maybe someone could sponser with one?
  8. M.R.

M.R. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep he contacted 3AW and was talking to deryn Hinch. Me I can't stand the guy but he did push it. As I said earlier, aim high here. There are people in places to help who will. When the guy with the para glider was talking to "Hunch" he kept offering to take hime up. Propose the same thing, take "hunch" on the back of your bike. He will push it as he is openly a sufferer.

Luck to us all

9. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    gday legends
    next years hardcore postie run is set for kosiosco np in the snow
    we can do it to raise funds for depression
    and I'll hand some of the organisation over to you guys
  10. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I havent got a postie but would be happy to help!!

ahh posties the motorbike charity franchise!!
  11. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Cruel thing depression - never had it and would not understand - but have had staff that have / had it and they have spiralled down loosing everything ... It can pull down the best of 'em.

Happy to support efforts in this area.
  12. Bronx

Bronx Bronx

Oddometer:
    My son suffers deep depression and last year attempted to take his life:cry .

Count me in.

Bruce
  13. FahrtMeister

FahrtMeister Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The black mongrel bitch has been known to follow me at times, lucky she can't keep up when I'm riding.
    Congratulations FatboyCrash, to have the guts to be open on a forum like this is commendable. I'll gladly support you in any initiative planned.
    I think awareness is the most important, getting the mesage out there that its ok to talk about it, that its important to talk about it, and stuff this image of hardcore biker dude, we have a lot of issues and they damn well get to us, and if we dont talk about them we end up paying for it with relationships or jobs or lives.
    I hear the problem is particulary bad in the bush.
  14. Phil_Fong

Phil_Fong Over Regulated Supporter

Oddometer:
    Count me in, for I know, it is a very real bastard. :ear
  15. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    depression eh. been there, done that, still got the scars.

i think i can pick depression pretty well these days, but for those that have been there they wil acknowledge that perhaps the hardest part is acknowledging you have depression.

never found an antidepressant that worked for me, i guess i never persisted in taking them long enough.

what scares me a bit is what sort of repercussions society will get to enjoy when the youth age a bit and we find out the lasting effects of the current crop of drugs they use. i've seen a couple come unstuck from ecstacy and i'm ony an armchair observer.
  16. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    well done this is a fantastic idea i have suffered for a long tome but hit rockbottom about 4 yrs ago when i had a spate of bad jobs (i am a firefighter) that hit close to home a couple of kids the same age as my son where killed not long after that my marrage broke down. i was lucky enough to realize that i had depression and sought help unfortunately i can understand how people could commit suicide as you cant see any better alternative

i would be more than happy to be involved in the fundraising but also in the support network you mentioned i think this is a great idea
  17. bigdag

bigdag vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer:
    Hunter valley (Watagans, Barringtons, Liverpools)
    I also look after some with it.

Not talking about it is one of the main problems.
    Particularly in Australia where its not kosher to talk about your problems.
    Nobody wants to hear whinging, but without being able to explain how you feel is to rob a sufferer of one of the main support interventions. That's different.
    Throw in the negative thinking patterns of one who is depressed and you have a downward spiral that exacerbates the problem and can result in tragedy. These people already find it hard to talk about it.
    It's the bloke who can't talk about it who is often at greater risk of tragedy.

Just to clarify, depression is a chemical change in the neural synapse, (the nerve endings), not feeling like shit because you're having a shit time. The picture is different, and sustained over a period of time, and unlikely to change without medical intervention. i.e. they don't have control over it and can't just "grin and bare it" or whatever.

If someone you know has a change in personality, such as reduced ability to concentrate, remember, experience pleasure, weight change due to dietary change, poor sleep, ideas of poor self worth, reduced motivation, for christ's sake, he or she needs help, such as medical assessment and intervention, and support, such as being there, help with daily living needs, reassurance that you care. They may not see it or believe it, but they may appreciate it later. Even if they don't, it's better than wondering if you could have made a better outcome after whatever tragedy can occur.

I speak tonight as a clinician because my dog is well trained.

I've also had a couple of beers.:D
  18. stuc

stuc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mate you've hit the nail on the head. A while ago I was reading a book by Stephen King about this young bloke who was tortured by the death of his brother. He had a pushbike - if he got the bike going fast enough down the hill he could outrun his demons, just for a little while.

When I read this I thought to myself "Maybe if I get going fast enough I can outrun MY werewolf too". So I gave it a go.
    And in a sense I did, not perfectly but there is no doubt the riding helps me immensely. I could get all lyrical - I might for bit just excuse me. It's the being outside under the sky, it's the sense of responsibility for your own safety, of your life in your hands and the thin line between being upright and death and the forces that hold you there, the way she sits into a corner, the wind on your helmet and light and shadow passing beneath you.

It's all that stuff and maybe some things I can't describe. Like I said it sure helps me - it may not do that for everybody, each to his own. I couldn't do without people to yarn to for sure, that's an absolute must. i had a young bloke working for me who took his own life at easter. No warning, not a hint of trouble: a great young bloke, hard working, dedicated, honest, articulate. But something unseen wound him up and he couldn't unwind it, and had no way to tell anybody what was happening inside. If he had found some way to talk about it, he'd probably still be here today. What an absolute waste - a shocking, gut wrenching waste. And honestly, I could have done the same thing, but for the support of others.

So I will say: if you've got some dog on you and it won't let go, for God's sake, talk about it with someone. Go see your doctor, or a professional, you would if were a cold or a bung knee, heads go wrong just as much as knees and there's no shame in it. Really.

S.
  19. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    while i dont think i've ever talked about it to any of my close friends, when i was on the path i used to talk about points of depression and my feelings with total strangers i met casually, usually over a coffee.

perhaps i put that wrong, i didn't bore them to tears but i used the time to explore different aspects of my thinking given i fugred that they'd have no real agenda so would reply to me with what their thinking was. it helped me a lot.
  20. johno

johno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia.
    I think we all suffer from some form of depression, weather it is mild, or major. It is good that you blokes can talk about it, and some of the symptoms may help others understand that they may have an issue.

Talking about it is not being weak, it is being strong.