Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. bigdag

bigdag vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer:
    Hunter valley (Watagans, Barringtons, Liverpools)
    Go see your doctor, or a professional, you would if were a cold or a bung knee, heads go wrong just as much as knees and there's no shame in it. Really.

S.[/quote]

Hit the nail on the head.
  2. Gadget-Ian

Gadget-Ian Not lost, exploring!

Oddometer:
    It is a worhty cause.

Make the awareness and fund-raising ride an adventure.

1. Australia wide
    2. a leg of the ride in each state and territory so that you get local participation (each state have a few sections)
    3. some people will ride one section, some will ride one state, some will take long service leave and do the whole ride
    4. get other partners involved ( health promotion, service clubs, health charities) to add weight to organisation, local promotion, and media interest etc.
    5. think about whether it may be useful to conduct the ride under a mens health banner, rather than issue specific (either approach has its merits)
    6. did I say make it an adventure ride? (story: Motorcycle riders get off the beaten track to help their mates to beat depression )
    7. plan it well (will need to balance riding, promotion, maintain bikes, rest )
    8. did I say make sure the ride covers some awesome country?

So there are a few thoughts.

Ian
  3. BilBLAT

BilBLAT Pom on a bomb ...

Oddometer:
    Who needs "Dumb and Dumber" when we have our very own adventure-biking celeb ...

Steve Crombie !!

I very much doubt that he will mind me mentioning that he is already involved with charities and agencies such as ReachOut and ActNow who are always challenging issues just like this.

Check out his www at loston.com and I think there's a link in there somewhere called 'Inspire' or similar ...

He lurks on the forum occasionally so maybe even PM or e-mail him.

I'm long overdue a catch-up with him and will also mention that these wonderful ideas are floating around. I'm sure he'll be impressed ...

Oh yeah. Please count me in to help out where ever I can with an event or similar. It might be my day job, but this is a cause that I'd happily bring it home for too.

As for me ? I also have the f&*ker snapping at my heels on occasion. It might only be a pup for me, but it's still pretty scarey ...
  4. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Reading this thread gives me goosebumps. I've never been so motivated. But I want to stress that I see this as a group thing. That we all continue with input, please??

And to the blokes sharing their own personal black dogs, I dips me hat.

Rightio. The ideas being thrown up are all crackers.

So so far it seems an Australia wide relay where we cover paths less traveled. Where blokes on bikes can join in on the legs that than can spare the time for. That we promote and visit the regional and remote towns and the medical facilities in those places. Sound Okay?? And blokes can share their own Black Dogs. Network etc???

Looks like we have been invited to the hard core postie run? Is that right Philth? TOPS! Incorporate that as a part of the run?? Happy to help in any way.

Just recently I had very personal experience with a Farmer. Cattle property in western Queensland. I met the bloke for 1 night. Great bloke. But without saying it you could see that he just wanted to ride with us for a break. He wanted to talk. So we listened. The commitments those blokes have would challenge most, me thinks. Like borrowing 54k for soil improvement and then it doesn't rain. 24k for school fees for the kids....
    Something to reach out to these blokes as well??? Whaddya reckon would be best?

That we find a 'high profile' patron. Keep suggesting and I don't see why we can't approach all of 'em??!!

Over to you blokes.:D
  5. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:

FWIW, and to perhaps get some ideas from a VERY successful annual charity ride, just google "Kyle Petty Charity ride". I was a little involved in this one when it was in it's early days, and to see now how big it has grown and how much money and awareness it raises across America is amazing.
  6. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    I Ain't got a Postie and I don't do cold.

But I'll start the ball rolling and put $50 in an envelope for you to deliver.
  7. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    same here.

and, a postie in the snow will generate (not solve) depression :lol3
  8. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    First up, Great thread FBC.

I have suspected for a long time that I live with the Black Dog. But i have always felt I could control it, so I've always considered mine more of a Black Chuahua. In hindsight tho, I realise it has coloured my moods and spoiled days that should have been great for me and others. It has affected my work and career. It colours me. Depression is insidious, it sneaks into your life and and takes away the shine.

Motorbikes, hunting, and laughing with my mates are the bright spots they keep me moving forward.

My best mate suffers, and has been getting counselling and help for a year or so now. Since then he's been improving, and I like to think some of our bike trips have been as theraputic for him as they are for me.

Just last week another mate let me know he was talking to a counsellor. And another great mate's wife suffered terribly for years before finding a way to make sense of the world.

I think fear of being labelled crazy or disabled is what keeps many from seeking help.

I'm not quite sure if you're suggesting the money raised goes to help farmers? Although that sounds remarkably charitable. $100K could dissappear in a single cheque.

In my mind the event, awareness, support and encouragement for those affected would in itself be hugely beneficial. Especially something fun like a postie challenge is something farmers could look forward to, participate in , have some fun and know they're not alone. (and they have a fresh supply of postie bikes :wink:)

I am 100% behind this, and would definitely like to participate and contribute. I really like Philths suggestion of postie ride or similar (maybe Postie/Ag ride?), there's gotta be a bit of silly in it. What price can you put on a smile?
  9. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    Yours trials bike is half way there... paint it red, strap a cushion on it's back and no-one will notice.
  10. quick_not_fast

quick_not_fast Lurking postie thrasher

Oddometer:
    This is fantastic! I particularly like the idea of incorporating ag bikes (posties are ag bikes anyway!) to give a link to the people on the land who suffer from depression. Coverage of a wide geographical area seems a good idea to me, so I like the relay option.

I'm putting my hand up to have some involvement in any Tasmanian leg this project could spawn. My postie bike is my main form of transport and I was diagnosed with depression a year ago. Depression is something that can't really be described to a person without first-hand experience, but spreading awareness of what to look for will hopefully see more people seek help. It might save a few of the lives lost to suicide each year.

In for the ride :D
  11. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Been tossing this around in my head - there's plenty of space.

Not wishing to put the cart before the horse, but as a patron & given that this is an initiative by blokes, Steve Crombie & Plugga Lockett have already been mentioned as first class people to approach. The V8 drivers that ride trailbikes and are sponsored by the bike distributors, Kieran Perkins and others that are nationally recognised blokey blokes might also be sought out. Where does it start - with sports management comapnies?

Such an event, as demonstrated by local leg of the Cancer Council Charity Ride (lets not forget that), needs a national identity participating to gather local publicity. In the Cancer Council ride, despite several contacts with the local media establishments down here, most failed to show any interest.

I wholeheartedly agree that, as a group, we should consider this as a men's health issue. I've had direct involvement with suicides over the years. Whilst all the headlines were about teenagers committing suicide, my personal experience was that the clear majority involved mature males. And without wishing to offend or ignore the women who ride and those on AdvRider, bikes are a blokes pastime.

If (when) it gets off the ground, please resist the urge to make it too exclusive. Just make it an adventure ride. Please don't exclude posties, or ag bikes, or trailbikes or adventure bikes. Pick the route and anyone who reckons they can get their bike along there should be welcome.

And, seeing I am no longer a full time employee, due to being discharged for reasons including psychiatric injury/illness, I have time available to do some work for it.
  12. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:

i use to be the same untill a couple of things pushed me to the edge and it doesnt take much i would sugest to talk to a doctor i wish i had of years earlier i would have had many more good times
  13. thealien

thealien Not From Around Here

Oddometer:
    The best way to start is to get a referral from your Dr to see some a counsellor from Beyond Blue under medicare - that way its free for the 1st 12 hours (and possibly more?). It all helps.

14. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    i reckon ross noble, commedian would be a good celeb to have on board
    he rides a bike and hes farkin funny
  15. The Fireman

The Fireman Livin the dream!!!

Oddometer:
    X2
  16. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I have spent a lot of time thinking about this idea we are discussing today , first let me just say , that getting people to discuss this issue is a step in the right direction , who knows , some one here who suffers from the dog may seek help or even be helped just by our talking (typing) about it , that would be a positive without leaving our computers.
    I mentioned getting a celebrity involved and used Charlie (Boorman) as my example , in this area we need it to be someone who is a household name , some one most of the Nation's population has heard of ,it would be better if they had the respect and admiration of the whole population but celebs these days with that sort of esteem are few and far between. Some one mentioned Kieran Perkins , that would be a great feat to have Kieran on our side from a publicity perspective due to his profile and public esteem.

I was also thinking about what event we could have to include as many people as possible and raise money and get the publicity going , something that is about fun , as most of us are aware , having fun is one of the best methods of keeping the dog away from our door. I have had a few ideas on this point but they all were lacking in one area or another .

We need to learn a lesson from the Cancer Council ride , the lack of interest from the media is the issue I am talking about , the event or whatever we end up getting going needs to be novel enough that the media IS interested and generates some further interest because of who is involved. A ride that just raises a bucket full of money would be OK , but the message needs to be heard , Depression is real , and a serious threat to societies fabric if left unchecked and ignored.

Alan
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  17. KLEaner

KLEaner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alan has some very valid points here.

Way back in 2003, a mate and I set up and carried out a charity ride on horseback for cancer research (www.campfires.org.au). We worked bloody hard to get media on board and major corporate backing; which happened; but it took a long time and the kindness/giving/selflessness of many well connected, but nameless individuals, which really helped our cause.

The media (and this happened to us on more than one occasion) look for the opportunity of a headline - even if it means a negative or "warts and all" presentation of the circumstances - where fact can be very easily turned into fiction with some gratuitous editing.

We knocked back an approach from an ABC documentary program who wished to film all the "behind-the-scenes" decision making, organisaton and day to day activities and televise it before our undertaking was complete. We believed that if that some of our teams internal conflicts and self-centredness and potential unedited commentary went to air, it may result in our aims being less than reliasable at the end of the event (we were on the road for eleven months).

Instead we were blessed by the contributions of a number of Australian country music performers (Sara Storer, Marty Oakes, Lee Kernaghan, Felicity Urquhart, Melinda Schneider, Brendon Walmsley, Southbound (RIP Mick Cowderoy) and many others) which highlighted our cause to the right people. A chance meeting by my mate Dan Phegan with Garth Porter at Tamworth set the wheels in motion in getting all these people to assist.

Get the right people - the right vibe - and the right initiative and the media will flock (like flies to poo!) to provide the editorial required to generate significant interest and donations from corporate and private donors alike.

Cheers
    Ian

(As an aside, having had a dose of depression in the past. I reckon that personality type has a bit to do with depression. Many inmates will agree that they have a high sensation seeking personlaity trait (bike riders after all!) and I believe that a lack of satisfaction of the desire for excitement/adrenalin over an extended period of time, coupled with work/relationship/financial et al pressures, lead to a higher than normal prevalence of depression in our particular personality type. Just a theory, mind you...)
  18. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    Whenever I hear the phrase black dog it always reminds me of that old Robert Johnson tune, Hellhounds on my trail. It's a song I used to relate to when I was suffering from it, worth a listen on youtoob.
  19. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Gudday!

Some seriously valuable input being offered here. Blokes that have experience and are sharing it. Thankyou.

I have to duck off to a family thing right now, but will be back later.

Just for now, a thought I'm having.... We need a Logo. Something easily identifiable. Should we have a bit of a competition for a logo? I'm thinking something like a Big black dog riding a bike? Anyone out there artistic like.. :D. I'll kick in a pineapple. (Fiddy Bucks) Other blokes have offered cash but is that appropriate spending? My thoughts are that we STRONGLY align with www.beyondblue.org.au and that they be the major beneficiary of and monies raised. Black Dog be mostly concerned with developing a strong network of 'blokes' and fundraising through rides etc. What say you blokes?

I'm looking into the charity licencing side of things as well.

Some ideas for bumper stickers/t-shirts I've had.

Black Dog (logo)
    One more bloke going postal is too many

I OWN A DOG!! (Logo)

I thought this would be good. A bit of pride that we know the dog and know that it can be managed??

Anyone got ideas?

Some more of the top of my head and suggested by others (Thanks!)

1) Find some high profile patrons
    2) Annual Bike relay to raise awareness and hopefully a little cash for beyond blue.
    3) Black Dog desert race or something..

Gotta go... Thanks everyone for the continual input. We are gunna make this one float!!! I'm 'stoked'.

I also put this on dirtbikeworld and the response has been very very similar.

See... never met a long term motorcyclist that was a dickhead. Makes me proud and humble.
  20. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're going to go through "Beyond Blue" with this, and it's probably the best way to do it, why not see if some contact can be made with Jeff Kennet. He would already know who could help, which celebs would be interested etc etc. It would certainly save a lot of the ground work I would think.