Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/index.cfm

Vicki Miller
    Corporate Relations and Development Manager
    Ph: 02 9382 9263
    Email: vicki.miller@blackdog.org.au
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My 2 bob's worth for a relay Lets double a Live Human round australia
    a bit like the best aussie job advertize virally for some one to get a free trip round australia
    including accomadation. etc. Then we pick someone like "Katie " from an old big brother .
    We'll i never claimed to be sane.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll go back to working on a logo for you.
  2. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. klr650gary

klr650gary CBD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Umm... yeah, think I've seen it just a bit. Usual causes, business going south, kid with life threatening illness, ya know.

I found training was good - swimming, running etc and of course being on the Klr (good grief even more value from the klr... therapy!) and I do understand that it is only part of the solution, particularly in anything other than mild cases. But seriously, although that works for me, it's sooo hard to get motivated just to get out the door. Maybe keeping an eye out and encouraging others around us to come out for a walk/ride/run/gym session, even a cup of coffee, may help in some small way.

I like the suggestion of just a simple 'Black Dog' as a logo, I would proudly put it with the ADV, Triple J and Ulysses decals and when you see it on someone else, just nod and understand it's a brother or sister that 'knows'. Sort of like the 'rainbow' for the Gay and Lesbian community, Red nose Day for SIDS, or yellow ribbons for cancer. It turns it from a stigmata, to a statement of pride, survival, education and understanding.

Even more, I humbly suggest going a step further, to a soft toy black dog (ok, we're talking $$ now and I know I haven't thought it through). Personally, I like the idea of almost making the intangible a 'thing'. Take your Black Dog for a walk, train your Black Dog, pat your Black Dog, put your Black Dog in a corner or outside ... This opens it up for Black Dog Rides, Black Dog Rally, Black Dog Ball ... whatever. Perhaps even fundraising opportunities?

I hope I haven't been too flippant and casual about something that is for some, a very real and life or death struggle. Thanks for the thread though, cos if we all put our 2 cents worth in, eventually, it will add up to something.
  4. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    You wouldn't really need to get into contact with Jeff Kennett specifically, just get into contact with beyond blue. Jeff is the chairman of beyond blue. I would imagine that if you can get beyond blue on board then he comes with it. I would imagine they would have a list of high profile contacts that may be willing to help.
    Latter down the track when organising is taking place might be worth contacting football/rugby clubs as well as Aus cricket and other major sporting organisations try to get some athletes on board for various legs of the journey. No doubt there are a few athletes around who share our passion for bikes.
    Also if you need any help organising or anything I'm more than happy to help. (may be able to help with people like ross noble as I've still got some contacts in the comedy industry from my time as a stand up comedian :p )
  5. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I would also like to think we could make our own high profile star!!

That crombie dude is a prime example of how hardwork will get you where you want to go and I am sure with the grace of the members of this site we could elevate someone from in our ranks to that status to help do the work for our cause!! - if that makes sense?
  6. SteveXLV

SteveXLV Bringyagrogalong

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of observations:
    1. A friend of mine once said to me "Wow, you look good compared to when I last saw you!" WTF didn't she make some comment when I looked shithouse?
    Answer: Just because of lack of knowledge.
    2. Not many GPs understand depression other than what they have been told in the classroom, so the dog often goes undiagnosed. My shrink said "WTF didn't Dr......... recognise it, it seems so obvious?"

Thank Kriyst the wheels didn't fall off at home as well or I'd have been in it over my head. Now I look back and almost, but not quite, laugh, but at least I can look back.

I'm obviously in.
  7. SteveXLV

SteveXLV Bringyagrogalong

Oddometer:
    Thinking of this reminds me of talking to a bloke at the pub a coupla months ago. Said he's been diagnosed with depression. One minute five or six of us are standing there having a beer, the next it's only him and me. The fuckn dust from the stampede nearly choked us. Good job we had a beer in our mits or we'd have choked to death. The talk did him the world of good though.
  8. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:

love them well done i would proudl wear something like that maybe with advrides support deression sufferers on it

the idea of a black dog siluette is good also
  9. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Thanks OldOzy! First cab off the rank.....

I've set up an email account for all things Black Dog so please feel free to use it. See my signature below. I've asked one of the mods about the ligitimacy of running a logo comp here in this forum, hopefully it'll fly.

I'm gunna try and scratch up about 300 bucks as a prize, I think that's about 2 tyres and a beverage while you fit 'em... If your in the Brisvegas area I'll bloody well fit 'em! Or one tyre and a cafe latte while you get it fitted if your a BMW rider. :D:D:D Waddya reckon?? Any contributions accepted? Got any bike bits lyin around??:D:D

I've had the very generous offer of help from a practicing psychologist and I have in mind a very approachable psychiatrist that I hope to corner into being a patron. I think that there guidance will be invaluable and perhaps add them as consultant patrons or summat??? Feedback??

High profile patrons as well... keep up the input please! I'll get round to hassling all of 'em!:D:D

Some of my ideas so far... Not necessarily in order.. Please keep adding!!

Get a Logo
    Contact Beyond Blue and get the tune up.
    Get Charity non profit status??
    Build regional networks and contacts.
    Fortnightly Black Dog bike maintenance and chat nights probably my place and hopefully get 'em happening elsewhere..
    Bike event for June next year.
    Contact the many many people who have put there hand up to help.
    Get a contact phone no.
    Get some high profile contacts on board.
    Website

Just some things for thought... Back to you blokes.
  10. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    i think you are spot on the money could there be regionalrides as well as people cant always make a big ride and this could give it a national apeal if there was one in each state as well
  11. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks , ive got a couple more comeing later tonight every body is different
    and some didnt like those all that much.

I hope i win,
    wow $ 300.00
    That can go straight back into the black dog kitty.
    [​IMG]

LOGO ???? Sugestions

[​IMG]
  12. rhys3697

rhys3697 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've cut and posted my reply from FBC's thread on DBW cause I don' think I can type it again, I've got a postie and I would love to participate in and help organise whatever is decided, Rhys.

13. rhys3697

rhys3697 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the logo suggestion OldOzy, Rhys.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
  14. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it looks ok on a t shirt also, might play with this one a bit more, simple is best.
    [​IMG]

but im thinking

" one more bloke going postal, is one too many. "
  15. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    like your work ozy. i'd leave out the comma tho...

i'm lurking in this thread, it sort of all feels a bit born again to me but hey, that's only my thought.
  16. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a case of depression about 3 years ago. Usual thing, heavy workload and watching my father die of cancer. I was lucky on 4 counts:

1. It was not a severe episode and I didn't need to take medication.
    2. I acknowledged the problem to anyone who would listen. Some did, some didn't. Those who have never had depression just don't understand, although some are at least sympathetic.
    3. I first realised I had a problem when facing a night tutorial full of students stuffing around. I couldn't function. I could see students at the front of the class looking at me and almost saying "Well, do something?". I couldn't. I saw my GP the next morning. She diagnosed the problem immediately, forbid me to go back to work for at least 4 weeks, and then ordered me to go away on the bike for that period (after seeing a therapist). Best advice I ever had.
    4. I have always felt better when exercising, so I was aware of the benefits of exercise and just getting off my butt and doing something. All I had to do then was actually get off my butt. Not easy!! Riding the bike was a major incentive to do something.

As part of my own rehabilitation I reassessed my life. I now no longer chase promotion and leave all sorts of competition to others. Hence my riding style - slow and steady! My health is far more important than any job or peer pressure. One of the things I have always enjoyed is camping, preferably getting to a location by bike. This is part of getting off my butt and doing something. I suspect some others here are the same.

So, as well as a charity ride we may also be able to help ourselves by organising, on a continuing basis, some non-threatening rides where we can just chew the fat at the given location. That is, create a self-help support system. I dunno about anyone else, but I have minor relapses every now and then and just knowing that there is someone I can ring or go for a ride with would be very helpful.

Whatcha think??

If anyone wants to discuss this further I will be at the Apollo Rally near Canberra (19-19 July) on the MZ. I suspect it will be the only one there :norton. Either that, PM me or discuss it further here.

BruceC
  17. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    Ok im practily ill literate so i appreciate the help.

i dont get the born again bit though, i thought id keept a close look on all post's, didnt see any happy clapping ?

I like your words , stuff i read of yours make sense to me, thanks.
    ( buggar im obsessed with commas.:rofl)
  18. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    JEEZ Bruce it would be worth it see one of them old buggars
    i lovem and cz's also and jawa's im doomed. any Pics.
    o sorry i've wander of onto a bike topic.:rofl

Laughter helps depression and it's also great for dissapointment.

[​IMG]
  19. rhys3697

rhys3697 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oldozy I like the one on the right, Rhys.
  20. KLEaner

KLEaner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My contribution - ripped off from clip art and keeping with the beyond blue image

[​IMG]

Perhaps add a reference to a fund raising venture or beyond blue etc...
    Cheers
    Ian