Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    That's good, i like that...
  2. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:

I like that one. Implies that the problem is beatable.
  3. Richard M

Richard M Doesntplaywellwithothers

Oddometer:
    Great work Guys

I'm no good with artwork but an idea that comes to mind to fit in with the theme of what we do could be,

I RIDE TO STAY AHEAD OF THE DOG

WHEN I RIDE THE DOG CAN'T KEEP UP

RIDING KEEPS ME AHEAD OF THE DOG

There is a few for someone to smack some artwork to, I would where one.

Keep up the great work

cheers

Richard
  4. GS-Jake

GS-Jake All about the Bike

Oddometer:

I like that!

I think the idea of a ride and raising awareness of those affected by depression is a great idea and I would be happy to help in any practical way I can. This bastard gets me at times too!

You mentioned a peer support group and this is one thing that really needs to get up here in Brisbane. Would there be as much interest in starting some sort of peer support group, hey we have a common interest so no shortage things to talk about. Sometimes just someone to talk to can be enough to get you through the day. Don't get me wrong partners/wives are supportive but sometimes women don't get where your comming from (fuck off I'm not gay) I think we should fly this peer support thing, at least throw it up in the air and see where it comes down.

regards
    Jake
  5. BurraBob

BurraBob Monarch #87

Oddometer:
    Great thread with some great ideas.

IMO trying to do it all at once the first time may prove to be very difficult and self defeating. This energy that is starting to generate in this thread should be harnessed and allowed to grow slowly into something that is perpetual.
    For example We could start a Rally, "The Black Dog Rally" and find a really spectacular and Memorable Location for it each year. We would only have to have 150 starters by badges to make $2500 for the cause (Beyond Blue sounds good).
    To expand on this idea, how about a "Black Dog Rally" in eack State simultaneously. This could raise $10,000+ for the Charity (say, Beyond Blue) and as time goes by the whole thing can be promoted using the afforementioned celebrities etc. This is basically how the Snowy Ride began, and it raises millions these days.

As current organiser of the Cold Flame Rally (25th Rally in 2010) I would be happy to charge a little more for badges and make it a Black Dog Benefit and/or run another standalone "Black Dog Rally" on a predetermined Date with other States if this idea is endorsed.

Just a thought

Bob Coleman
  6. stuc

stuc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like a snappy slogan:

"Out-ride the Dog"

Got a bit of an idea for a logo too (front and back) I'll try and knock up a concept look tonight.
  7. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dave, Dave, where are ya?? Can you do all within 24 Hours???? Will you get depressed if you can't? :rofl

But, I have to agree with BurraBob. This needs to go forward a little bit slowly. As I see it, there are three aspects: raising awareness, peer support, raising money.

This thread is definitely raising awareness. I wonder how many lurkers are out there who know that there is something wrong, but not yet ready to admit it. Or who don't know who to talk to?

This is where peer support comes in. The postings I've seen so far (haven't read all of them, just most) appear to be from people who have been through it, or still fighting depression. But, there are a million people who are going to be affected in the future. Knowing that there are like minded people that they can contact could be really useful. Lets face it, non-motorcyclists are weird and who'd want to talk to them. I see this as an informal group that may be able to provide some support. I would be prepared to make my contact details public on a dedicated list (sticky???) here so that people can contact me if they wish to.

Raising money is needed to support either research or more formal support possibilities.

So, where to from here?

BruceC
  8. Jutta

Jutta Into the remote places

Oddometer:
    I've had the black dog for a number of years. I still don't know exactly whether it's been brought on by the death of my mother, my younger sister dying of cancer, work related stress, sled dog syndrome or not having the physical endurance to do the things I loved to do like mountain bike racing or rock climbing (getting old syndrome).

I do know that most doctors don't seem much help. About a year ago I had a big dose of the black dog and anxiety and went to my doctor demanding that he give me something. He prescribed Zoloft and its effect was amazing and allowed me to cope much better particularly at work with no side effects.

I also know that exercise, keeping busy and riding the bike are good. I haven't had counselling for depression but have had other counselling for other issues which has worked.
  9. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Gudday Mate!!

Just a quick one as I am supposed to be working for the man! :-)

Watch that Zoloft. It's a great thing but it has been known to stop working for some people after about 18 months or so. From personal experience. Keep talking to your doctor, friends etc and get them to let you know if they notice any changes in your behaviour...

Lots and Lots of great stuff coming from this thread. Might have to organise a Brisbane Black Dog meeting for next Wednesday night 8th July. Bring ya bike. Any interest?

Hi Ho Hi Ho... It's back to work I go....:D

10. Colonial Mick

Colonial Mick FEMINISM KILLED CHIVALRY

Oddometer:
    Upper Cumbucter West. Armidale/Kempsey Rd.
    I think I will be up that way on Thursday the 10th not quite sure yet.:D
  11. Jason Hutchins

Jason Hutchins Monarch 71

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good idea to me Bob, if there is enough interest I will put my hand up to organise a rally in Victoria.

Cheers

jason
  12. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    my comment's most likely out of line, i read this thread and there are so many people eager to go do something right now which probably neither matches my mental mood nor physical capacity right now.

to me depression wasn't a cause for celebration, i didn't want nor seek adulation or recognition, i mainly struggled for comprehension and tools to deal with the problem. if that makes sense.

but then again i believe one of the underlying factors of depression is that it drives you away from the support networks that help you, i know i disappeared off the face of the earth for a while and am sort of there again but in a more controlled way.

all of which leads me to conclude that while the idea of the ride is good, it may well exclude perhaps the very people you target. if so, then the idea just needs further development perhaps?
  13. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    shortest days already been, 22nd june
  14. BruceC

BruceC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly! This is also my own experience, which is why I think we need an informal support group of like minded people (motorcyclists) to encourage us to not go away.

Depression is actually a feeling of loss of control in our lives. Doing something gives us back a bit of control. We can grow from that.

How do we organise this? I don't think large group rides are the answer (not for support anyway. They could be a bloody good fund raiser), rather individual support from a local person. We gotta stop ourselves just sitting in a dark corner withdrawn from the whole world.

How about some meetings in the major cities where we can toss some ideas about and see what we can come up with.

Yeah, I'm pushing this because I think its got legs.

BruceC
  15. petemoss

petemoss Having a look around

Oddometer:
    I had the black dog hanging around pretty constantly for about 3-4 years back in the late 90’s. Took at least 12 months to realise that it wasn’t just the circumstances I found myself in at the time (unhealthy, in debt and alone) causing stress, but actually this depression thing that I had always thought was a load of crap. It was all a bit "what the fark do I do now?" I started to read a bit but found that the more info I took on board the bigger that dog grew and the hungrier he got. I knew the best way to prevent getting bitten by a dog is to face the prick! I had to stand up to him and kick him in the guts. He still hangs around occasionally, and has a bit aof a snap but each time I kick him it leaves him with another bruise.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I’m not trying to say it’s easy and fully agree with talking to mates and seeking help from support groups and health professionals etc. but don’t underestimate your own strengths or that sly cunt will pounce.
    <o:p></o:p>

I’m certainly not going to tell others how to handle their dogs but I would like to suggest going slightly further than owning or outrunning them and fully endorse the “KICK THE BASTARDS EVERY CHANCE YOU GET” method.

How about a T-Shirt/Logo with something along the lines of
    "Don’t turn ya back on a Black Dog – Kick ‘em in the Guts"
    They could be sold and worn at the “Kick a Black Dog Rally”

I’m a signwriter, although I’ve worked in a completely different industry for the last 4 years, so I’m a bit rusty and computerly challenged but will also try to get a few logo ideas happening soon. Should be able to help put together some banners or something as well when the time comes.
  16. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Me rikey that Idea gasitt - its got good significance in comparison to the long day ride could have some legs I reckon!!
  17. XTJohn

XTJohn DIGITI EXTRACTUUS

Oddometer:
    Lots of people choose to get married on the shortest day of the year.

Why?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    So they get the longest night!
  18. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    A quote from a long gone dingo thread "Its just a dog, kick it in the nuts"
  19. MungoP

MungoP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't abide cruelty in any form and I'm regularly misunderstood because I'm so obtuse so I prefer ....

You can tame it.

But FWIW, when I realised that my bouts of depression, which were never clinically diagnosed except by an observant medical father, actually had a finite length to them, generally 3-5 days, I just buried myself in my work and alcohol and waited them out. Suddenly I found they started to diminish in frequency; that was thirty years or half a life ago. I've been on Vit B and wheatgerm ever since, as I was told that was 'good' for depression.

I'm into small groups maybe no more than five or it just becomes a cock measuring contest.
  20. aussiedav

aussiedav ... it's just a road

Oddometer:
    Are you guys aware of this ride

http://www.blackdogride.com.au/
    About Blackdog Ride

On 26th July 2009 this year I will commence my ride around Australia by motorbike to raise community awareness about depression, our silent epidemic.

The statistics regarding depression are quite staggering.
    1. 1 in 5 people will experience depression in their lifetime.
    2. This year alone 1,000,000 people in Australia will experience a depressive illness.
    3. Depression is the third largest individual heath problem in Australia after heart disease and stroke.
    4. In the work place depression accounts for six million working days lost each year.
    Chances are that you or someone close to you will be affected by a depressive illness at some time in your life.