Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. aussiedav

aussiedav ... it's just a road

Oddometer:
    I donated and have alerted my forums to the ride, and no I don't suffer from this but know and have known many who do.
  2. FatBoyCrash

FatBoyCrash Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer:
    Wow! hats off to this bloke!

How spooky is this? I ALSO have a Black Dog named Winston!

[​IMG]

Without Winston, the days when the other Mongrel black dog was in would've been almost unbearable. I don't mind confessing that I've had days where I sat with the tears rolling down my face for no bloody good reason and Winston knows. He sits and listens, sticks his big boof head on my lap and sighs. Farts a bit too.....:D

I'll contact this bloke and have a chat.

3. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    i know what you mean a dog is the best as they dont judge a friend that i have been worried about finally got help last week i got told by another bloke who said i dont know what he has to be depressed about i saw red
    a dog will never make judgements like that just listen and love
    unfortunately one of my 2 was killed yesterday in an unfortunate accident and died in my arms at least i got to comfort her as she had me:cry
  4. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:

Really sorry for your loss mate.

One of the reasons I've been dogless for a very long time was the loss we felt when the last one died. Only someone that has had, and lost, a great four legged mate, would understand.
  5. oodeano

oodeano Some Guy

Oddometer:
    My thoughts :D

We all jump in first and buy 150 raffle tickets at $50 each and buy a black DR650 (Just an example) with them then turn that DR into the star?

Have every farkle we can think of fitted for as little cost as possible by businesses keen to have their name mentioned in all of the magazines that are no doubt following the 'Black Dog DR" build with a short article every month or two - maybe a column on the Black Dog DR and where it's been - each one having raffle ticket contacts and Beyond Blue contacts.

The bike could then tour as many rallies across OZ as possible for 6 months or a year with each rider buying a ticket to ride the bike. Maybe we could get some of those riding celebs mentioned along for the fun. Perhaps the rider gets to ride for free but must sell raffle tickets in the DR for $5 a pop at the rally - Beyond Blue could lend a hand or a banner with their logo/contacts for a display / raffle ticket booth at the big rallies. Even if we just parked the bike with a banner over it.

If we can get people like Steve Crombie / Ross Noble involved they could do a rally on it or some other publicity. Imagine Steve on Kerri-anne again with the Black Dog DR and some Beyone Blue people.

At the culmination of the DR's fund raising adventures the winner of the raffle is drawn and the DR is given away.

We've given the raffle cash to Beyond Blue.
    We've given publicity to Beyond Blue.
    We've had a great time going to rallies.
    We've chipped in $50 each to start with.
    We've potentially reached 1000's of blokes about a worthy cause.
    We've given another beautiful DR a chance to shine.

Do it again next year :D

Maybe we need a bike that breaks down more often so we can have an official Black Dog Support Team . . :D
  6. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Black Dog KTM doesnt have the same ring to it though does it:lol2:lol2
  7. BigFella44

BigFella44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day fello Inmates,
    It's great to see or read fello inmates talking openly about the dreaded "Black Dog"!
    I watched my father go through what can only be discribed as sheer hell when I was in my teens, he was eventually diagnosed as having a nervous breakdown! These days he would have been medicated for depression! How times change I guess. I have been diagnosed as suffering depression for about four years now and struggle with the mongrel each and every day! Last year I started to look back into my families history (as we do) and was blown away by just how much and how far the dreaded depression has infiltrated my families roots! The best advice I have is to talk openly to friends and family about our feelings, and more importantly how we "feel" rather than shutting the door! I have offered my open door to anyone wanting or needing to chew the phat.
    Keep up the great work, we need it!!

Cheers
    BigFella44
    (Glenn):deal
  8. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    good onya bigfella and great first post
  9. Miss Jane

Miss Jane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Really sorry about your dog Tinyjk. I used to spend hours chatting to mine when I was a kid and trying to make some sort of sense of the world, I still miss them.

I reckon it's a great idea to do something, I'm willing but not sure what I can do. I could not have ridden a bike when I had a thankfully shortish period of depression, I would have crashed my brains out, as I did many times on my mountain bike at the time. Ouch! (It's curious that crashing your MTB is not OK, but driving into a bridge seemed like a great idea at times!!!) But maybe most people can ride and it's coaxing folk out that's important. Not sure if this is relevant, but my Mum started the Daffodil Support Group for breast cancer suffers because she did some research and found women are more likely to survive if they have a network like that around them. Just wondering if small local ridding groups are the go?
  10. LostOn

LostOn LostOn... TheExtreme.Life

Oddometer:
    Just scanned over this long and very passionate thread. Seems like alot of you fella's (and ladies) are into this project and I'd like to help out if I can.

I've lived through two battles with depression, and impressed to see so many people on here talking about it so openly.

I work as an ambassador for Inspire www.inspire.org.au. They run reachout.com and actnow.com.au. We are currently working on a project specifically to reach out to blokes dealing with depression, and currently partnered with Beyond Blue and soon Movember. Just spoke with the Inspire CEO about a few other projects today. They would definitely be keen to support something like this.

I can also sniff out interest from Yamaha, and my other sponsors to build a bike, plus I should be able to arrange articles with TBAM and ADB, and put some stuff about it on my site.

Pretty busy at the mo, but keen to learn more and see what develops on this thread. Have a few ideas for you if you are keen... and know of a few ways the project can be tied in with another big ride being planned for the end of the year...

Anyways... happy to help if I can.
  11. Rev Tiny

Rev Tiny Twisted Archer

Oddometer:
    wow i dont think we could ask for a beter person to be involved international status and suffered from it yourself
    i think we would be mad not to take up your generous offer for help
  12. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    ,,,,the more we openly discuss these issues the better off "we" will be!

After struggling for years, it is extremely refreshing to be able to talk about the day to day challenges faced. I am one of the lucky ones, I have a great network of friends and family who I call on day to day, week to week, month to month!

By keeping this thread open we are helping those yet to discover "there is help out there" all you need do is reach out!

Cheers Guys

Lets keep up the great work.

Cheers:freaky
  13. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread and some interesting discussions. This is a topic that is not usually openly discussed. It is good to see so many talking about personal experiences.

I think we have all had some form of depression at times in our lives. Whether it be the loss of a loved one or family pet, a marriage breakup or just when things seem to be getting all too much.

Movember is an organisation that supports mens health especially depression and prostate cancer. They are linked with Beyond Blue and the Prosate Cancer foundation.

Perhaps doing something to coincide with this great cause would be an idea.
  14. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    I think we have all had some form of depression at times in our lives. Whether it be the loss of a loved one or family pet, a marriage breakup or just when things seem to be getting all too much.

Hmmmm, I need address a couple of issues here? I don't wish or want to step on anyone's toes, please don't take offence to the following,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

All the support is fantastic however clinically diagnosed depression is different to that of simply feeling depressed or feeling down.
    Often the two feelings are connected, however clinically diagnosed depression is a chemical imbalance in one's brain that tips us into that black hole known as depression! No matter what we do or what friends and loved ones say the black cloud that more often then not cannot be lifted without medication! This medication helps to balance the chemicals in one's brain and helping to make living an alternative!

Yes, "Movember" is a fantastic organisation and does much to draw attention and changing preconceived attitudes towards depression.

So yes, please do support "Movember" and keep the ball rolling!

Cheers:freaky
  15. MOLAHS

MOLAHS Sisyphus

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth.
    The difference can be compared to a "cold" and "influenza" or better still pneumonia.
  16. bigdag

bigdag vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer:
    Hunter valley (Watagans, Barringtons, Liverpools)
    BINGO!

I was reluctant to say it as some presumed "depressions" are simply a fact of lifes experiences. These are more an establishment of negative thinking patterns and behaviours which can be caused by recent or past traumas, and can be responsive to psychological interventions. That is not to say that they don't cause an impact on your sense of pleasure or self, but a clinical depression is often self occurring with no apparent cause. The sense of helplessness, worthlessness, lack of motivation, lack of self esteem, and many other symptoms are immeasurably more severe than similar feelings caused by lifes traumas. That is not to say that the latter are not serious, but certainly different, and respond to different treatments. Generally speaking. It is not unknown however, for the depressed feelings to lead to a clinical depression if severe and enduring and untreated. Confused yet?

Counsel and peer support are generally less/inneffective in a clinical depression in terms of resolving it, however, nurturing support is important to minimise the severity of the sufferers self loathing and other negative views of themselves and the world, in a real time sense, (I was going to say existential but didn't want to sound like a complete wanka) while medication does its job.
    These sufferers do not seek help, and if undetected can literally lay down and die. The bodys metabolism and driving mechanisms slow down and this scenario is quite possible, but thankfully they are usually detected by others.

And for the record.
    Anyone out there who is taking medication for depression, PLEASE do not stop it without a psychiatric review. The result can be a rebound depression which can be more severe. Each successive episode of mental illness can also be more severe, and more difficult to treat, to the point that some individuals have very poor responses down the track of lengthy poor compliance with medication. If you are not satisfied with your medication, see an expert for a review. It's one thing to stuff around with your bike, but quite another to do the same with your chemistry.

The most important aspect of both of the above conditions is the risk of suicide. The former has a high risk based on usually higher levels of activity and often agitation and an inability to see an acceptable future. The latter are often at risk as they respond to treatment. That is, their energy and motivation can be responding but they may still have overwhelming ideas of worthlessness, but now can do something about it. It is most important to continue support and monitoring until the thinking is clearly improved.

Any supportive gestures are worthy, such as this thread, and the suggestion within it, and I would be a willing participant in any activities.
    By the way. My mental health service has a motorcycle club, which I feel sure can be coerced into some involvement.

I could bump my gums some more but have not had any beer tonight.

I might remedy that now.
  17. bigdag

Oddometer:

I was reluctant to say it as some presumed "depressions" are simply a fact of lifes experiences. These are more an establishment of negative thinking patterns and behaviours which can be caused by recent or past traumas, and can be responsive to psychological interventions. That is not to say that they don't cause an impact on your sense of pleasure or self, but a clinical depression is often self occurring with no apparent cause. The sense of helplessness, worthlessness, lack of motivation, lack of self esteem, and many other symptoms are immeasurably more severe than similar feelings caused by lifes traumas. That is not to say that the latter are not serious, but certainly different, and respond to different treatments. Generally speaking. It is not unknown however, for the depressed feelings to lead to a clinical depression if severe and enduring and untreated. Confused yet?

Counsel and peer support are generally less/inneffective in a clinical depression in terms of resolving it, however, nurturing support is important to minimise the severity of the sufferers self loathing and other negative views of themselves and the world, in a real time sense, (I was going to say existential but didn't want to sound like a complete wanka) while medication does its job.
    These sufferers do not seek help, and if undetected can literally lay down and die. The bodys metabolism and driving mechanisms slow down and this scenario is quite possible, but thankfully they are usually detected by others.

And for the record.
    Anyone out there who is taking medication for depression, PLEASE do not stop it without a psychiatric review. The result can be a rebound depression which can be more severe. Each successive episode of mental illness can also be more severe, and more difficult to treat, to the point that some individuals have very poor responses down the track of lengthy poor compliance with medication. If you are not satisfied with your medication, see an expert for a review. It's one thing to stuff around with your bike, but quite another to do the same with your chemistry.

The most important aspect of both of the above conditions is the risk of suicide. The former has a high risk based on usually higher levels of activity and often agitation and an inability to see an acceptable future. The latter are often at risk as they respond to treatment. That is, their energy and motivation can be responding but they may still have overwhelming ideas of worthlessness, but now can do something about it. It is most important to continue support and monitoring until the thinking is clearly improved.

Any supportive gestures are worthy, such as this thread, and the suggestion within it, and I would be a willing participant in any activities.
    By the way. My mental health service has a motorcycle club, which I feel sure can be coerced into some involvement.

I could bump my gums some more but have not had any beer tonight.

I might remedy that now.
  18. bigdag

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the double response.
    Difficulty with an "invalid thread" thingy.

I feel so invalidated!
  19. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    one thing i've learnt over the years (mainly through a mate who is a very highly respected and published psychiatrist) is that there is perhaps nothing more dangerous in the art of psychology than the armchair psychologist. but hey - here i go...

a relatively close family member recently tried overdosing on anti-depressants. he was being treated by a prick relation (dr.) who basically just kept writing him scripts without bothering to push the person into proper care.

the news of the attempt and the depression came as no great surprise to me, i'd watched this person for years and commented within my family that i felt he was suffering untreated depression going back perhaps 15 years. i think most of the people around the person were basically pretty scared to approach them.

now my mother, bless her socks, post discovery proves she just doesn't understand depression.

when she found out about this person her comment to me was that they just needed to snap out of it... :baldy

suffice to say i went to town on her about that and rather strongly suggested to her that if she went in the door visiting the person, guns blazing with that attitude then she should stay right out of it altogether.

point of this dribble is depression is not something to fuck around with nor to self-diagnose.

i agree with you to a point, bigfella, but i reckon cbt is a very worthwhile treatment for depression, it just doesn't have the simple edge numbing effect that medication does (or at least did for me). cbt to work though takes a long while, i suspect most people's budget runs out way before.

i went into cbt and stuck with it cause i went through enough bad relationships and general crap in a fairly brief period to recognise the simple fact remained that the only common factor in it all was me.

oh yeah - cbt = cognitive behavioural therapy.

remember that the classical definitions of depression include the statment that the symptoms must be present for at least 2 weeks, i guess the flipside of that coin is that everyone suffers some of the symptoms transiently.

which leads me to conclude that yes, most people can sort of recognise the symptoms but i think they fail to appreciate the depths one plunges..
  20. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    The research that has been done is that the best solution for depression is a combination of Antidepressants and Cognitive behaviour therapy. That being said CBT is bloody expensive after a while, my girlfriend used to go once a fortnight and it was about $150 (she was going for something other than depression though). In reality though antidepressants will work better than nothing and if you talk to your workplace or organisations you belong to alot of companies offer free counseling to employees that are suffering depression or other things. I know telstra certainly offers it as does the CFA.