Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Miss Jane

Miss Jane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    It goes without saying that everyone is different, but I found counceling a bit of a waist of time and lots of money. I tried several, but all were fluff.
  2. bigdag

bigdag vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer:
    Hunter valley (Watagans, Barringtons, Liverpools)
    I hear what you're saying Mouse.
    There is a dearth of available services for psychological interventions, particularly for those who can't afford them, which is most people.

As the succeeding reply to your comment said, (Can't remember who. There's not much can be done for Alzhiemers) there are employee assistance programmes available in many larger businesses.

There is also a current initiative available in NSW called Better Outcomes, for which is needed a referral from your GP, to a private psychologist. It's bulk billed and some psychologists are reluctant to play ball on that basis, but most do.
    24 sessions if I remember correctly, with option for further referral at the end of that. That can give up to a couple of years.

I've no idea what is available in other states (than NSW) but given the push in recent years for addressing the national depression crisis I'm sure there are similar programmes.

The other options for guidance to appropriate service is to contact the local community health centre or community mental health centre. Sometimes they are combined. They may not provide the appropriate service given these units are geared towards more acute interventions, but can refer in a more helpful direction for local available services.
  3. BigFella44

BigFella44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks bigdag for your insight.
    Would I be correct in assuming (hate that word) you are a professional within the mental health industry?
    Mate your words offer another more defined opinion or look into the cloudy paddocks of depression!
    I agree most if not all fellow riders have at one point felt "depressed" and down. And at that moment in time their depressed state is very real and can be just as dangerous.
    Having clinical depression, I struggle most days to get the motivation to proceed. Not suicidal or anything like that (I dont think anyway) but struggle all the same. Some days are harder than others, but the level of support from friends and family is vital as part of my day to day routine. If I "shut the door" so to say I go down in a tail spin!

And please "DON'T STOP" your medication without first speaking and "listening" to your doctor. My previous employment was as a travelling sales rep, anyway I ran out while on my usual country trip (stupidly) and found myself in a motel room after three days unable to make the very basic of decisions.
    After several visits, phone calls and repeated requests to a local surgery I was finally seen by a doctor and after 3x days was given the medication I needed. No blame on the Doctors, they need to be extremely careful in these situations.
    After the medication was taken all was good!
    Thats how sensitive and complexed our chemical balances or imbalances are!
    "It just ain't simple"!

I have the luxury of being self employed, I say luxury as from my experience bosses and work colleagues don't really understand!
    I have come to the conclusion that I am destined to be self employed, due mainly to my continued depressed state and I do find it difficult some days more so then next!

But as they say "it's all good!"

The more "open" we are the better prepared we are to deal with "it".

Cheers:freaky

P.S. Keep this thread going for months!!!!!!!!!
  4. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    my sisters a shrink, she lurks here , im fucked . I make no comments , everybody different....

I do know that i quiet often get manic dissapointment from watching the national news, the local news just makes me laugh.
  5. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    OldOzy, mate your a crack-up!
    Love your "no nonsense" view on the World! Keep up the great work.
    Ya nONG!
  6. bigdag

Oddometer:
    Yep. I work in Newy as a Mental Health Nurse. Both as an a hospital nurse and in a community setting.

Not too far from you. We may have crossed tracks. I done my surfing apprenticeship at the Bay many years ago.

I also experience depression as stated in an earlier reply, and can only too readily identify with the lapses in medication. It only takes a few days for the sleeplessness and ruminatory thinking to start. Should know better but fuck, I'm human too.
    Well almost.

I'm fortunate enough to have regained my sense of humour, and have no problem laughing at myself. Heaps of entertainment there.

Your description of working and travelling alone, as well as being stuck in a room away from support and help is not what I would call an ideal situation.
    Perhaps carrying a letter of referral from your GP, outlining your particular needs would be of assistance. It's a pain having to live the practices of an afflicted person, such as having to take medication and carry shit around with you, but the alternative's much more unpleasant. Diabetics and oldtimers do it every day, as do many others with a wide variety of illnesses, and it opens the door for life with more quality.

Having some health service details for the area that you are travelling through and to may also be helpful. If not, the local A&E can often provide some direction to available services. They may even provide some medication for the short term. Depends on who's on duty and their relative experience, and what resources they have available. Bear in mind that these services are often staffed by registrars that are still training, and are reluctant to make decisions that might come back and bite them. Or you. This is where a letter may be helpful.
    Your key service provider (GP, Case Manager, Psychiatrist etc) can often provide information for far flung services.
    HAving contact details for local services on your mobile is only too easy, and if you again become stuck in a room, is one of the least motivation needed efforts to seek help.
    The trick is to recognise the signs and act on them before significant deterioration takes hold. By your report you are one of the fortunates who has the insight to recognise the illness, as well as be able to see the flucuations that can occur. Many do not unfortunately.

As remarked earlier, the only common denominator is you and no one else can take responsibility for preparation. Remember the 7 P's of organisation. Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Cant remember the 7th. Bugger.

Stay well and keep the rubber side down.
    Literally and metaphorically.

Dag.
  7. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dag, we only moved up here a couple of years ago and am still a new comer to the bay and all it has to offer. We live at Lemon Tree Passage and have found this life style most enjoyable.
    The scenario described above happened a couple of years back and was quite scary, and looking back it taught me a lot in how to prepare for life's little downs!
    I am now self employed and enjoy the freedom this gives.
    If I want to go for a ride, then I tend my emails and don the boots!
    Lucky bugger I hear you say?

Would enjoy hooking up for a ride some day Dag, if you don't mind slowing down for an old fart now and then that is!!!:drums

8. BigFella44

Oddometer:

,,,,and they say comedy is dead OldOzy!!!:mulie
  9. bigdag

Oddometer:
    Plus I ride a GSAdv which is not a dirt bike. Having said that, I would certainly be up for a ride.
    Needs to be soon though. Have some surgery coming up.
  10. MOLAHS

MOLAHS Sisyphus

Oddometer:
    CBT is generally helpful AFTER medication and i use the word generally with caution.
    CBT is not a science.
  11. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    :(::(::(: See , i was trying to be fukin seriouse....
    im going for a ride before it pisses down. :wave
  12. BigFella44

Oddometer:

I was referring to your "local news comment" OldOzy.
    Go have a great ride old boy! Clear some of those cobwebs:lol3

13. Professor Longhair

Professor Longhair Free and easy.......

Oddometer:
    Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance............Perhaps!!!
  14. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    one of the supposed roles of psychologists is to be able to interpret and advise the need for psychiatric intervention ie medication. coincidentally have you ever met a psychiatrist who is also a good psychologist?

i've been through a few psychologists and most of them are not particularly good. but then you strike a good one and its suddenly worthwhile.

however there is no benefit imho to a casual interlude with a psych, it takes a lot of time.

that said, my SO spent years on zanax for anxiety and the same psych got her straightened up big time and off the zanax within about 10 sessions.

so, what is a science? i reckon the discipline of psychology most definitely is.

for a bit of fun reading i once read 'games people play' - there are some interesting bits in it about the interactions that occur between patients and psychs... so if you want to enliven your sessions try a few of those games and see how your psych reacts.

the study of psychology includes a hell of a lot of statistics - as in they are taught a lot about statistics. most analysis these days seems reliant upon statistics etc. by the by...
  15. OldOzy

OldOzy Banned

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    no worries , i was just jokeing .:thumb per normal....
  16. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    so how was the ride mate? Did you smile the whole way?

My dad would love to ride your three kicks even for just a few k's!
    He was right into the old AJS and Matchless days!
    Had the obligatory BSA bantam, as most did in those days.

17. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    If you do ever find yourself in this situation go into the nearest pharmacy. They will often be able to contact your regular pharmacy and get a copy of your repeat to dispense even a few days worth until you can get the orriginal copy to them. I know I certainly would dispense it if someone came in to see me in that situation.
  18. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suffered the black dog for a few years. Didn't help that my mother has been somewhat down all her life.

I dealt with it by realizing it wasn't real, my life was fine, and just ignored it.

The old saying healthy body healthy mind. I was really run down and had years of stress. I saw a naturopath and took a couple of years to get sorted. Shot the black dog dead.

I also discovered a strong relation between poor stomach flora and moods of melancholy.
  19. Eso Teric

Eso Teric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been plagued by this too, since i was 16, so 15 years now, it all starts at one place, TBH i have needed someone to talk to and for a few years i had that. But as time drags on (a lot of it wishing i was dead) you have to make a decision, mine was to keep living, gut it out and find ways to overcome it, strangely it's not always smooth.

My problem now is that 15 years later, i still haven't sorted it out yet :huh !

I was a firefighter too and thats where i had my "few years of help" from, what got me for ages was: the afterwards! no more help..no longer in the loop, sort of thing.. too many of my fellow fire fighters (and Vehicle Crash Rescue) partners have commited suicide, by the time i was 20 i had been to more funerals (in full dress) then i had weddings.

I did seek help from doctors, pshrinks etc etc, here have these drugs, maybe also some Tamaize so you can sleep.... they changed my moods worse then they already were!!!

+1

My wife me thinks does cop the brunt of it, sudden mood changes, wierd behaviour etc, the list goes on. To whomever it was that posted we should thank them again, is spot on. My wife knows when it's happening and as hard as i try, i can't control a lot of it, she says that although she doesn't understand it she is there for me :ear and for that i owe her 1 (ok, well maybe more than 1:rofl )

Was thinking that maybe we make it a combined thing: "For the people who suffer it and TO the people that suffer because of it" ride.

A lot of it comes from curcumstances way beyond our control, there are a lot of people who are getting out there to help people with depresion, and yes there is 'Beyond Blue' or 'Lifeline' or even 'Chaplins' but who thanks these people?

My suggestion is that maybe we make the ride a point of focus, directed to these people, without whom a lot of us would be goners, but it also still makes awareness to the fact that depresion exists.

Who Helps The Helpers???

I totally agree, but i do think women riders should come along because they suffer depression just as much as us guys do, and if people flag behind we ALL stop, because the ride is in aid of solidarity and therefore to be there for each other.

I also think Ross Noble would be a great idea because laughter is the best medicine :D .

I also think, and this won't win too many friends, BUT it should be an alcohol free event!!! Not just because it may be sponsered but if, and fingers crossed here, we do get a personality like Ross Noble to come along and/or it is made a major event on TV or Radio, then it wouldn't do for us to blunder about whilst pissed. It not only sets the wrong example but it may encourage other depressed people, not on the ride, to feel that drinking whilst suffering depresion is acceptable or excuseable, perhaps leading to consequences i feel we would NOT WANT as an outcome from this ride.

Also the date for the ride IMO should be set for mid next year so we can all plan for it and so it doesn't conflict with 'Cancer Awareness Week', 'Breast Cancer Week', 'Volunteers Week' etc etc.

P.S.
    Have been thinking the same thing, i yearn, badly, to be part of the firebrigade again, not just because of the people but also because of the adrenelin rush i used to enjoy, even faced with the worst scenario we all got through it OK, my fear is that if i was to re-join i worry about the 'afterwards' bit, will it stun me as much as did before? Who knows.

Kind regards and many more happy riding days
    Eso
  20. angryad

angryad Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I came across an article in our local paper about a guy riding around Oz in 26 days to support people with depression.
    http://blackdogride.com.au/view/home/