Who else lives with the Black Dog?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by FatBoyCrash, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Jingellic86

Jingellic86 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just remember, don't try and do it alone...... You have a LOT of friends....... they are all there for you......
  2. FahrtMeister

FahrtMeister Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "This too will pass"
    Abraham Lincoln
  3. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    of course you can you great big hunk of spunk

here's a joke for yah - made me laugh

"where i everybody?" the cowbow asked
    "they've all gone to see Brown Paper Pete hung" said the bystander
    "Why do they call him that" the cowboy asks
    "Well he always wears a brown paper hat, a brown paper shirt, and brown paper trousers."
    "Really?" says the cowboy. "And what are they hanging him for?"
    "Rustling."
  4. MikeF

MikeF Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi there.

I used to think like that, and you know what, you can't fix yourself all the time. Been there, done that. Came close enough to the edge.

Nothing wrong with asking for help. As someone eluded to earlier, better to ask and get it fixed than make a mistake.

In the end, you'll wonder why you just didn't ask earlier. It's the first step that's the hardest, the rest is relatively easy.

Good luck to all affected and keep kicking the dog back into his kennel.

Mike<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  5. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    The trick is knowing the signs and recognising them before all goes to shit.

Go & see the doc for a med change if ya reckon that what your on is not doing anything. I reckon the body gets used to the original crap after a while.
  6. Eddywoodgo

Eddywoodgo two wheeled nomad

Oddometer:
    I been chased by that dog most of my life. I have learnt some really good strategies for keeping the hound of darkness at bay. Meditation, exercise shore help but the real cure for me was healing trauma from child hood abuse.
    When I faced up to those demons, released all the unexpressed emotions around that it changed my life. The dog is there but I know how to bring him to heal.

If you think your depression is caused by a screwed up childhood for whatever reason PM me there is real help that works.

Also a great organisation is Mens well being. They have a facilated mens group that runs over 9wks. These are great.
    :ear

Sometimes I think that depression or the good folk prune to it are more aware or intuitive and sensitive to the environments then others...can be a gift
  7. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    I touched on it earlier in this thread. But it didn't seem to get noticed.

I suffered from depression once. I shot the black dog for good. Sure, life can throw some curved balls but if your in good health you can bounce through it all. I just did a quick Google and came up with this. you can search more if you want.

Most if not all would suffer from this to some degree. Especially with today's crap diets and processed foods. And if you like your beer.

I can tell when my gut is crook because the first sign is bouts of melancholy.

http://www.teishin.org/intestinal-flora.htm
    Symptoms of Bacterial Imbalance

The list of symptoms of bacterial imbalance in the intestines is extensive. Some of the more common ones are:
    • depression,
    • allergic reactions,
    • increased susceptibility to funguses,
    • vaginal yeast infections,
    • bowel irregularities,
    • poor short term memory,
    • sugar cravings,
    • loss of sexual desire,
    • bronchial coughs,
    • and fatigue.
  8. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    I think one of these I'm pretty certain will not bother me too much..

9. BigFella44

BigFella44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I read your post crash and agree to a point, the chemical imbalance is the hardest thing to come to terms with, not the fact we have an imbalance, more how to restore that level balance?
    Would much prefer to not have to rely on drugs, but they do help, most of the time!
    Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.
  10. BigFella44

Oddometer:

,,,,,, well that depends Hodgo!:poser

quarter pounder with cheese anyone!
  11. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:

It's the old saying, and it's older than us.

Healthy body, healthy mind.
  12. mike-s

mike-s 2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer:
    Sister used to work at the Black Dog Institute prior to moving overseas. their website is http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/ or alternatively if you want to volunteer to assist with their research https://www.blackdogvolunteers.org.au/ . you don't *have* to have one of the listed disorders to help them, anyone can sign up.

I've had a couple of bouts of depression in some seriously fk'd up and low times, but have been fortunate that they have subsided more than shown themselves.
  13. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    Mate I just spent about an hour cruising through your links to the black dog institute and have to thank you. I have tried Beyond Blue, but the black dog institute has helped me with some great answers and ideas for future help.

I did a couple of their self assessments and what I learnt is that its way more important to discuss these issues with a qualified, trained medical professional.
    So I'm off next week to find me a shrink that knows his or her stuff!
    Any recommendations in the Hunter area?
  14. Miss Jane

Miss Jane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    I'm more familiar than I would like to be with toasted gut flora and mild depression. Yes they are chemically linked

The Specific Carbohydrate diet is great for seriously wonky gut flora: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Will help control the vaginal yeast infections too.:wink:
  15. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dudes n Dudettes.

I have never for one minute thought "why me" and have always tried looking at the glass being definitely half full scenario.
    The response generated from my initial cry for help yesterday has been over whelming to say the least!
    You guys rock!
    The number of P.M's from people I dont know or have never spoken to in here is nothing short of awesome!
    My circle of Adv mates "the nONGs" has been awesome!

It's reading comments in here that picked me up and dusted me off, slapped me up the head and said "dude, pick them balls up and soldier on"!
    So thanks to one and all, I have made an appointment to speak with a doctor type dude on Tuesday!

I gave my kids the biggest hugs this morning before I left for work, much to my 12yr old son's horror!!
    Not to mention our 18yr Daughters surprised look!
    But they are what helps us to stay focussed and motivated.

For me I recon I might just have caught the mongrel before he got past the gate this time, here's hoping anyway!

:super :thumb :super
  16. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    I know the Black dog,he love's to run and explore.:thumb
  17. mike-s

mike-s 2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer:
    Then it was worth my while, your very welcome, good luck with this & your future.

The internet is good for many things, medical & psychological assistance are two that it is not, so glad to hear the route you've chosen.
  18. bigdag

bigdag vicarious rider, surfer..

Oddometer:
    Hunter valley (Watagans, Barringtons, Liverpools)
    Who here lives with the Black Dog? The Darkness.

Me.
    Fortunately mine is well managed, but I am not complacent. Through times of increased stress, or if I identify increased symptoms, I get a medical review and increase my medication.

Ive said this before and I'll keep saying it,
    • take control of it and don't let it control your life.
    • recognise the symptoms, take action,
    • talk to your clinician before you become so unmotivated that you can't,
    • get a medication review
    • participate in activities
    • talk to your loved ones, they are worried too
    Stay well
    BD
  19. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    The most common remark in here is discussion, discussion with loved one's, discussion with friends.
    I find the more I talk I about it the better it helps me to get things back into perspective.
    I have a very close mate and we dont go a day without touching base at least once.
    He has his own black dog that lurks in the shadows, we understand each other with out fault.
    I know he has been my saving grace more than once, having someone I can depend on to understand and not be judgmental, thats gold!

Well my phyc visit is booked in for 4.30 this afternoon, I guess I 'll let you know how I go?
  20. BigFella44

Oddometer:
    What a difference a day makes!
    Although I still feel stressed to the max and my sleep is still all over the place.
    My mind is starting to slow down a tad following my 1st visit to a psychiatrist.
    Dont know why I waited so bloody long to seek professional help?

He said something that I want to share here, "you cannot control every facet of your life, you can however control how you react" and the penny dropped!
    I have been adding to my depression by stressing over stressing, how funny is that?

Got a long way to go till I'm anyway near "normal" but ant step forward is a good step, right?