1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Who has an Arai XD-4 or Klim Krios?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ymirtrials, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about upgrading my lid and like the XD-4, I did try a few on last year during a trip to the city and I know it fits but I was curious if you can wear goggles with this helmet if the visor is up? Also can anyone compare the fit of the Klim Krios to how the Arai fits? The XD-4 I wear a large but would get medium cheek pads for it. Thoughts?
  2. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XD-4 here. I have a L, with cheek pads one size bigger than stock (30 mm vs 25 mm if I recall.)
    Goggles fit fine with visor up.
    Sorry, no experience with the Krios.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  3. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got an XD-3 and an XD-4 , great helmets. Yeah using goggles are no problem with the shield on or if you remove the shield all together. Half of the time I run w/o the shield on trips.

I’ve tried on the KLIM Krios a few times and I couldn’t get by how narrow the opening was to get the helmet on.

I wear a medium Arai and the KLIM was also a medium fit.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  4. Fatallybitten

Fatallybitten Slow and getting slower Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't comment on the XD-4 but I have had 2 Krios helmets. I have had several Arai's, just not the XD-4, and had to change out the cheek pads to get a comfortable fit. The Krios fits me out of the box. And it is the lightest helmet I have ever worn. BTW, size large in both Aria and Klim.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  5. bluenoser

bluenoser I'z da by that gets da UI

Oddometer:
    Have both. Both nice helmets, don’t really notice any weight difference when riding, however, the Klim shell is quite a bit bigger. Don’t really notice it though until you’re looking over your shoulder, etc....
    The Arai L is 59-60 (like most helmets I’ve had), the Klim L is 58-59. I’m about a ~59 1/2. The L Klim is too tight, the XL is a little too big (which I also attribute to the loudness) - Hence, back to Arai.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  6. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input inmates! I actually tried on a couple today and the Klim fits very well in a L. I found that I was in between M and L in the Arai but would have to go with L with the M cheek pads. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Klim, quite a bit more affordable that the Arai and it sounds like the product backing is good with Klim so I'm happy about that not having purchased any of their stuff previously.
  7. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    this i my third year with my Krios and really like the fit coming from an xd4, only wish the first click to open the visor wasn't so large. Bought it originally because it was the lightest helmet I could get , no regrets
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  8. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    on sale
    https://fortnine.ca/en/klim-krios-karbon-adventure-helmet
  9. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you manage to try these on? Time for me to make a change as well.
  10. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    Barrett’s in Fruitvale and MainJet in Nelson. Limited sizing, L and XL I think.
    Edit- They only have the Klim helmet though not the Arai.
  11. TimberPig

TimberPig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Krios last year from main jet and I dont recommend it. While it is very light, it whistles a lot and the windscreen is super flimsy. I had the spring mechanism fail within a week of owning it and had to send it back for repair. There was a significant gap (like 5mm) between the screen and the rubber seal. IMO its way too expensive for what you get. I dont like the visor on it either as it tends to slip back and act more like a small sail. main jet was good though, helped me with the warranty repair.

I will NOT get another Krios.
  12. chevmekanik

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the replies, I won’t be trying on a helmet soon. My old one will have to do until the Trump flu dies down a little.
  13. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To paraphrase realtors, the important things about a helmet are head shape, head shape and head shape. The xd3 was a longish oval, the xd4 more mid oval. My understanding is the Klim is a round.
  14. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    Good info, I'll have to find out for myself though as I've already pulled the trigger on one. Glad you had a good experience at MJ
  15. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    I've always had a good fit with Arai helmets in general over the years and the Klim fits well also, and yes I agree it is less oval.
  16. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using a Krios since last summer. Some people complain about the noise, but compared to the Mx helmet and goggles I was wearing the Krios is pretty quiet. I picked it because it seemed less gimmicky than some of the other ADV helmets, plus it fit better than the other helmets I tried.

The visor latching mechanism is definitely it’s weak point. It’s really easy to misalign the pins, and that can chew up the plastic. I recommend the photochromic lens so that you can avoid having to swap lenses day and night.

The rear spoiler does a good job balancing the peak, so my head doesn’t get snapped around as much when shoulder checking on the highway.

It doesn’t flow as much air as an Mx helmet.... this is good and bad, the reduced airflow means my googles fog and are harder to clear at lower speeds, but it also means I don’t freeze my face off at high speeds.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  17. MOTO ED

MOTO ED n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the Krios, it's Fine under 80KPH and on trails but the worst Helmet I've had for wind noise on the Highway. The Visor doesn't snap your head around but vibrates so bad I tried riding without it and then the windscreen would not stay completely closed. Have rode with it on various bikes and same result. I tried to shim the hinge to tighten it up but it's just a poor design from the start. I also have an icon Variant which has the same issue with the visor so it sits on the shelf now. I really wanted a dual sport helmet with a visor but the wind noise & vibration is a killer on long rides. Looking at going to visor-less helmet now for any long rides that are mainly highway (Schuberth / Shoei).
  18. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven’t had any vibration issues with the visor. I did try removing it for a ride out of curiosity and found it made the helmet sit a little weird (wind pushing down on the rear spoiler with no front visor to counteract it). Goggles on with the lens open is also a bit of a pain since it’s yet another spoiler grabbing the wind, but it’s only an issue at higher speeds and you can always shut the lens until you slow down again and flip it back up.

I do think a visor is a compromise on any road helmet and if road is your thing then you’re better off without it, and for all-day offroad I want to get another Mx helmet with better ventilation. IMO, the Krios kind of sits in the middle where it’s not particularly good at either end of the spectrum but it’s not particularly bad either. I think it’s a good 50/50 helmet for those that don’t want to wear an Mx helmet/goggle on the highway, but don’t want a heavy, poorly ventilated road helmet offroad and don’t want to carry two helmets around on their bike and swap when they hit the trails.

That’s my take on it. Good 50/50 helmet, but if you’re 80/20 or 20/80 you might not want to live with the compromises.
    farmerger and Ymirtrials like this.
  19. chevmekanik

Oddometer:
    Looking for the perfect helmet for the multi week trips, I have helmets for daily off-road and highway use. I was hoping the Klim would be it!
  20. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my opinion it is. the xd4 was terrible with the visor it vibrated like crazy I finally took it off, I have had none of the problems that Moto ed mentioned. I use it on and off road without issues, at speeds well over 100k. Mine came with a pin lock visor which works very well in this cool rainy weather, being as the weight is less than most helmets is a big feature for me. I should mention I always wear earplugs on the road and don't forget as far as noise and vibration goes it is also very dependent on how well the helmet fits, what bike you ride and how the air flows around it. XD-4 was a very good helmet but the inside wore out very fast and there was no way I could use the visor, which some people say is just for posers/vanity but I find it extremely useful for the dawn and dusk times when the sun is low, I get no vibration from the Krios, the visor works well except as I mentioned I wish the first click open wasn't open as much. I also considered the Bell MX9 (?) but it was a lot heavier. XD4 $$$ Ktios $$ Bell$
    Ymirtrials and chevmekanik like this.