Who has an Arai XD-4 or Klim Krios?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ymirtrials, Apr 18, 2020.

1. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's always interesting how experiences with the same piece of gear vary so much. I'm on my second XD4. They fit my semi-oval head really well with the 30 mm cheek pads. My last one saw 75000 km. of mixed use over 5 years. The foam pads compressed enough over time to loosen up the fit, but the only part of the lining that showed any wear was along the back edge where it joins the shell.
    There's some wind noise at highway speed (690 Enduro R with the small OEM windshield) but no worse than other helmets I've worn. I always wear ear plugs so not an issue.
    Never had noticeable vibration issues devildogg described but I have found the white nylon screws loosen off over time and keeping them tight seemed to reduce some of the wind noise.
    Anyway, what matters the most is a good fit, so noggin shape and size are the starting point for finding the best helmet for yourself, then cost, then features, then input from reviews (taken as opinions and not as gospel).
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    I thought the cheek pads were adjustable on the XD4?

3. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong I liked my XD4 without the visor, I guess what it really came down to when it was time to replace it was price and weight both great helmets
  4. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, not that at all. It's the same when reading reviews about pretty much every helmet (or oil, or tires, or...); that we all find different things we like and don't like about the same thing!
    And really, what matters the most is that we're wearing a helmet because we're out riding!!
  5. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Vikingtazz, adjustable by taking out or adding layers of foam. Arai also makes different size cheek pads, 12mm to 35 mm thick. My XD4 fits just right by swapping the standard 25 mm cheek pads for the 30 mm version.
    Next time I'm looking for a helmet I will also look at the Klim as well as whatever else is new and shiny, though the XD4 works for me!
    Ymirtrials and Vikingtazz like this.
  6. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for all the info to those who offered. I have a couple rides on the new Krios and so far I'm happy with it, very comfortable and light to wear. The one snivel I do have is that one of the little locking dodads that hold the shield and visor on jumped ship on my first ride. Now granted I pulled this new lid out of the box jammed it on my head and ran out the door giggling and went for a ride with out checking things over so it may not have been locked in correctly. Yesterday it seemed one of them had turned a little bit. Has anyone noticed this? I will just keep an eye on them every time I take the helmet off I think....
    uncle m likes this.
  7. TimberPig

TimberPig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ymir, yes the little doodads can come loose, my helmet came with 2 spares. one thing I've noticed is that if they are not tightened all the way the windscreen will rumble open in the wind. I recommend keeping the visor on as it seems to keep them tighter than without
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  8. SSPhoto

SSPhoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Klim Krios and while it's a good helmet, it's not perfect.

The Good:
    - very light
    - quality construction
    - came with two shields (clear and tinted), plus a pinlock lens.
    - visor design doesn't catch the wind when shoulder checking on the highway
    - fits my head well (I have an Arai head, Shoei helmets don't fit me).
    - removable shield and visor makes for a versatile helmet
    - not overly noisy (I come from MX helmets though)
    - warm for cold weather riding

The Bad:
    - no way to keep the face shield cracked a little bit for air flow. This is a huge design flaw in my opinion.
    - limited visor adjustability
    - poor venting for warm weather riding

If you're not concerned about venting, this could be a great helmet. For me, the lack of venting is frustrating when my Dad's cheap HJC helmet has better venting and a shield that can be just cracked open for a little air flow (great on the highway). If they changed the shield system to allow it to be cracked a little bit (I've resorted to using a twig when I want to have it just cracked) and added some adjustable vents this helmet would be great. Their dirt helmets are really, really good in comparison (I had an F4 and now an F5).
  9. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @SSPhoto, which "Arai head"? There are three.
  10. SSPhoto

SSPhoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    VX-Pro - intermediate oval, which should be similar to the XD4. Haven't tried the XD4 though.
  11. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct, XD4 fits intermediate oval noggins.
  12. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting; I thought the Krios was a round fit.
  13. SSPhoto

SSPhoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's always best to try them on and see. Shoei helmets hurt my head, but the Krios has been quite comfortable, even on a 3 week trip to the Yukon and Alaska.
  14. Green1

Green1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had to modify my Krios,after 45 min or so developed a pressure point above my forehead.Bought it because neck pain on longer rides with other helmets,Krios fixed that
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  15. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    3rd season on mine and the little turney doodads never move ??
  16. MBear

MBear n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought the XD4 a couple of weeks ago. So far I've only had it on a couple of rides... The helmet seems pretty quiet for what it is, up to about 100 km/h. The peak is stable at that speed as well and it does not exert much force on the helmet from the wind blasting over it. Ventilation system is excellent and it seems to keep the air out pretty well when all of the vents are closed.

In terms of fitting the goggles... I've tried the SCOTT Prospect Enduro and they do fit inside the opening, but the strap attachments on the front are too wide for the visor to be shut over them. Vertically they may not work for some people depending on their nose profile as the vertical fit is tight, so there could be some force exerted downwards on your nose if you happen to have a bigger one than average.

So I decided to send those back and order Pro Grip 3450 - they should fit perfect.