Who has owned 700/800 and owned 750/850 what have you found

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by BygDaddee, Oct 21, 2020.

1. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would like to hear from people with ownership of both bikes not just test rides

do you like it, what have you found different, any issues
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Had a 2013 800GS bought used from my dealer which belonged to one of the dealers salesmen. It had 20,000 miles at purchase and all in all a great bike. Only major upgrade was a manual cam chain tensioner because the rattle at start up was getting on my nerves. Other than that oil changes and tires were the only maintenance with a chain/sprocket change @ 24K.
    Bought both a 750 & 850 GS (2019my) in March 2019.
    We have over 10,000 miles on them at this point with no issues, Oil Changes and a set of tires on each bike have been the only expenses. There were some issues with BlueTooth connectivity between the Bike, Sena headset and phone at the beginning which seem to have been worked out with updates to the phone app.
    Very happy with the new bikes @ 10,000 miles.
    BygDaddee likes this.
  3. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice
  4. Coach Z

Coach Z Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my 2016 800gsa new and put 25k miles on it including the CO BDR. Great bike with all the known weak points, mostly suspension. Traded it in last year for the 850gsa after test ride at the MOA rally. The balance of the 850 is a ton better in my opinion even though its heavier by a fair bit. The fly by wire throttle is a MASSIVE upgrade and I like the new motor a lot. Features are great such as cruise control and being the geek I am I love the TFT dash. It still needs a ton of help in the forks department but the rear has been doing really well. Just got the nike back from Corbin and I’m writing this in the hotel on day 2 of three of a near cannonball ride from CA to RI. Did about 1100mi yesterday and 1015 today. Great bike for general do it all. I do still wonder if I should have gotten the 1250gsa given how close the weight is but I’ve got this one now so onwards and upwards
    jmcarter and BygDaddee like this.
  5. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have thought if your going to get a 850GSA over the GS, you'd have to look at 1250 closely
    but there is still fair dollar difference, and a bit of weight

glad your enjoying it, they are a nice bike

6. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought my F800GS new in 09, sold it last year after buying my new 19 F850GSA. I didn't have any major dislikes with the 800, but with retirement nearing I was looking for a newer bike with some more modern comforts for long range extended adventure travel (f**king Covid put that in a holding pattern).

The differences are remarkable and the 850 is the superior bike. If electronic wizardry is what you seek, the 850 has it, Much of it I am good with or without, but the cruise control is one I truly wanted. I do really like having the tech at hand though.

Going up to the GSA was a must for the range. I did have the Camel tank on my 800, but it's nice to only have one hole to fill. The 800 with the fuel under the seat is claimed to be better with a lower CofG, but in truth, it seemed to make the bike tail heavy, particularly with a full load of gear. This had the effect of often making the front end feel light and unsteady which shows up at higher speeds as a tendency to wobble a bit and was often hard to keep a line on steep uphill climbs. The traditional fuel tank location on the new GSA seems to better balance the bike and it really seems no more top heavy than the 800. The second benefit this change makes is to make the bike narrower in the middle so getting a foot down to hold the bike is easier - this may be partly to credit for the bike not feeling any more top heavy.

From the engine perspective, the 850 has better bottom end grunt. I had switched my 800 to a 15T front sprocket to improve the low end so as not to be continually stalling the engine in difficult terrain. The 850 is much better with the stock gearing, a change of ratio is not so apparently necessary but could really make it awesome in technical situations. For what I have planned to use the GSA for though, I think it is fine as is.

On the suspension issue, the 800 stock was OK but not great. I upgraded both ends to Ohlins and was greatly impressed by the improvement. The dynamic suspension on the rear is nice, though I think it could be sprung a bit firmer. I run with it set to rider and luggage when unladen and on two-up when packed. The front end is OK but could benefit from better springs and dampening.

As far as comfort and ergonomics, well that is a very subjective matter, but it is undeniable that the GSA has far more wind protection than the GS. Otherwise, I've made the changes to all my bikes to get the ergonomics better for me and the GSA is no different.
    SnoDrtRider and BygDaddee like this.