Who has the most tricked-out DR ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zapp22, Feb 3, 2006.

1. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    I have one of each Will; As we've discussed before I think you would enjoy and put anyone of these bikes to good use, including the DL650.

If a guy only had one bike that needed to do everthing and dirt was important, get the DR, if highway was more important but still wanted to be off-road capable get the KLR.
  2. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    Hi Danny, The seat is great while riding, but digs in your thighs when your feet are on the ground. I'm very happy with the broad seating surface and you already know I'm thrilled with the bike.:D I wish I had the cash to do the Staintune and Ohlins that your DR had. I love that pic of your DR climbing the sand dune!
  3. scootertrash

Oddometer:
    I second that! I have that pic saved from about two years ago...That's the baddest DR650 out there!
  4. bitterjoe

bitterjoe killing the fatted calf

Oddometer:
    wow, looks like the perfect shed already... great bikes burren.
  5. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
  6. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old wives tale.
  7. taco

taco Guest

Yes you get" paid to shot people" but those people shooting back at you are doing it for free,in sandals no less.Just a thought.Nice bike.:2guns [​IMG]
  8. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added DRZ250 taillight, Givi-knockoff top box from JC Whitney, and a Supertrapp muffler.

It's a 2005 with homemade tail rack, GPS mount and handguards, IMS tank, Corbin seat, Race Tech fork springs and 7.5 weight oil, Eibach 8.4 kg/mm shock spring, Dual Star skid plate and centerstand, Wolfman tank and fender bags, National Cycle deflector windshield and a Scottoiler. I still have to make a new aluminum license plate holder, aluminum heat shield for the supertrapp, make a new more isolated GPS mount, make a chromoly pannier rack and some aluminum boxes, and paint the gallon lines on because that's only marker on there now.
  9. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Exactly my thoughts! my XR650R is getting the last bits for tagging, the DRZ is already tagged & titled, and the Weeestrom is getting its knobbies and a 16T.
    The DR is calling my name

z
  10. trailuser

trailuser take the backroads

Oddometer:
    I only say that because of the bigger cockpit, bigger stock tank and better wind protection solutions. I understand that the DR is smoother and with a Corbin it is damm comfortable. (IMO)

I've logged a 900 mile day on the DR and felt pretty close to KLR comfort!

I enjoyed your Alaskan trip report:thumb
  11. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one funtional DR! I like your barkbuster/handguards and how they go around the stock plastic handcovers. No need to shroten levers. What brand are they?
  12. scootertrash

Oddometer:
  13. scootertrash

Oddometer:
    Snowrider, can you show us pic's of your Scottoiler installation? What did you think of it's performance and how much of a mess (if any) does it create?

thanks, Bill
  14. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    When i spotted this beauty up in Alaska last year i was impressed. Not real fancy or flashy. Just a rugged, get it done, no nonsense, i'm gonna go where i want attitude.
    I'm going to go look at a new one soon. :nod
    [​IMG]
  15. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, that's snowrider's bike! I'd recognize that pack-job anywhere:eek1
  16. scootertrash

Oddometer:
    see post #109, does it look familiar? :evil
  17. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're "Snowrider" brand, I guess. I used two Moose inner mounts and a length of 1" x 1/4" 6061 stock. Cut, bent, cut some more, and drilled. I used the stock bar end weights for the outer mounts. It's a little bit cheaper than buying them, but more importantly I got them how I wanted them.
  18. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a pic I took of it right after I made the bracket. It was the day before I left for AK I think, and I felt rushed so I didn't cut or grind off the extra, and no paint. It looks the same now, except solidly covered in rust. I've been meaning to trim the extra steel away to lighten/pretty it up, and paint it, but I keep forgetting.
    The resevoir mounts with just one bolt, which comes brazed to a little tab. On the other side of the bracket I ground a relief for the tab so that once it's tightened, the resevoir can't rotate out of position.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, no mess really. When cranked up real high for wet/dirty conditions, it'll leave a drop or two below the rear sprocket when I park it. The chain stays clean, no maintenance, and no sticky gunk on the chain like with that "chain wax" kind of stuff. I still have the same chain on it.
  19. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey, we picked a good day to be on the Parks, huh?

[​IMG]
  20. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I think my buddy Steve has the LEAST tricked out DR. He does oil the chain a lot, and even changes the oil sometimes.

Went and got hisself a new one now,with that fancy electric start and all.

[​IMG]

"course this is the old one.