Who has tried Touratech progressive springs on their F800GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by All-Terrain, Sep 25, 2020.

1. All-Terrain

All-Terrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering if they will work for ~220lb rider, plus riding gear (boots, helmet etc), and some soft luggage (not heavily loaded) ?
  2. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the HyperPro progressive lowering spring kit on my F800GSA. I like the ride a lot. But I only weigh 125 pounds so can’t speak to the weight.
  3. ubermick

ubermick Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I plopped Hyperpro springs in my F650GS twin, along with Ricor Intiminators. Changed the bike completely for the better. No more diving under braking, front was infinitely snappier and the handling so much better.

185 plus gear (at the time... damn you Covid stress eatin' and drinkin'!!!)
  4. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put the TT progressive springs in my F800GSA. When I did it, I used 5wt fork oil, after a long conversation with Ted Porter's Beemer shop. He actually recommended 2.5wt, but because most of my riding is on pavement, we agreed that 5wt would work; I was concerned about going too light on the oil, and he was concerned about it being too heavy.

I'm very happy. It definitely reduced brake dive, the front end seems to have better feel now, and it's smoother over small washboard-style bumps. I wouldn't go with anything more than 5wt oil, especially if you ride off road a lot. According to the shop, the stock BMW oil is super thin, even though its rated at 7.5wt. I also upgraded the rear shock at the same time, which probably helped front end feel because the spring is stiffer to account for my fat ass, has less sag when I sit on it, so there's probably a little more weight on the front end now. For reference, I'm about 250 plus gear.

Is doing just the spring & oil as good as spending $1000+ on completely new internals? No. But it is definitely better, and worth the $100-ish (or whatever it is) plus the cost of fluid in my opinion.
  5. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only $100-ish? Thought it was closer to $400?
  6. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bad...it's been several months since I did the change, and I forgot how much they were. TT springs are $229, Wilburs are $167. Still much cheaper (but not as good as) the full fork cartridge kits at $1600 on up.
  7. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahh, gotcha. The kit for the F700GS is quite a bit more expensive for some reason - - around $390 as I recall..
  8. Coach Z

Coach Z Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I added the progressive springs both forks and rear to my 16’ 800gsa and It was a big upgrade. I’m 200lbs and was riding with a lot of gear so close comparison I think. In the end I was still looking for a bit more and that was part of my decision to trade the bike on a new 850gsa rather then spend $3k or more on full after market forks and rear spring. YMMV
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the spring kit F/R on my Tiger 800XC, no more bottoming out jumping it up to 3 or 4 ft. 185lbs with gear.