Who has used "Bar's Leak Rear Main Seal Repair"?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by tpfeffer, May 25, 2009.

1. tpfeffer

tpfeffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I have what appears to be a rear main seal leak on my '83 R100RS. I have oil dripping off the rear edge the oil pan. I replaced the oil pan gasket hoping that was the culprit, but no luck. So, I am considering Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair engine oil additive. The can says, "Most leaks stop within 100 miles or 2 days of driving. One bottle (32 oz) treats 4 to 6 quarts of oil."

I am due for an oil change. I thought I could drain out 16 oz of oil and put that amount of Bar's Leak. Either way, I would only leave it in for a short period and then replace the oil.

So, what is the opinion, super cure or snakeoil??
  2. StephenB

StephenB G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer:
    Snakeoil.
  3. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. krehmkej

krehmkej Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, just fix it. The job is NOT bad. Just remember to block the crank. Or get in touch with your local Airheads group and bring it to the next tech day.

OBTW: +whatever on snake oil...
  5. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    I've heard if you crack an egg and put just the white in your oil it'll stop leaks. :rofl

I've got no experience with your snakeoil but I have changed a rear main seal. 2-3 hour job. we've got several threads on here that have good pics and guides on how to do it and if you run into trouble you can start another one.
  6. tpfeffer

tpfeffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. The drip is not bad enough, yet, to demand action. Given the opportunity, I would rather wait until after the riding season to put the seal.
  7. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    be sure to use BMW's rear main seal remover, seen here

[​IMG]
  8. beezerjoe

beezerjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every good mechanic should have one.:lol3
  9. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Geez! that's one rusty hammer. I'd be so ashamed.
  10. bgoodsoil

Oddometer:
    it was in the landlord's garage. I keep a lot of tools on the bike but a claw hammer hasn't made it in there yet.
  11. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    This stuff supposedly works by "slightly" attacking the rubber in the seals, causing them to swell. The chemical theoretically evaporates over the course of a few hundred miles so that it doesn't keep attacking the seals. The problem of course is it causes all the seals to swell, which may or may not be a problem; you might end up causing another seal which isn't leaking now to start leaking.

I saw a variation of this product advertised on ebay. It was intended to be applied directly to outside of the seal with a Q-tip or similar. It probably wouldn't be of much use to you because you'd have to do most of the disassembly to get access to the seal to apply the product.

I'd be willing to try this stuff on an old beater bike or car, but in your case I think I'd bite the bullet and replace the seal.
  12. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    :lol3

God I love this place, ingenuity abounds.

Mike
  13. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like no one has tried it - why dont you and let us know how it goes.

I would be interested to see what effect it has on the oil filter O ring and seals too--------.
  14. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have had better luck with Lucas Oil products, slowed or stopped leaks in all kinds of old motors, transmissions, and differentials, from as small as a Ford Ranger to hubs on 20,000lb. axles. The old standby is add a small amount of acetone, does the same thing. Not sure I would do it to my bike though, I never really cared two sh... for most of the stuff I have added stop leak to and it was to avoid removing somthing that weighed as much as a GS and was usually attached to something that weighed as much as a car
  15. tpfeffer

tpfeffer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your response. I was hoping for someone like you with actual experience. I saw Lucas Products on the shelf next to the Bar's Leak. Eventually I will repair the leak. I am just trying to get past the riding season before tackling the job. Difficult or not, I don't have a very conducive place to work.

Tom
  16. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    I just threw a bottle of that shit in my '93 Chevy Cheyenne with 182K...
    Still leaks like a seive:puke1 !
    But...I don't give a rat's ass about the truck!......
  17. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    If you replace the seal, replace the o-ring for the oil pump cover while your there. In the last photo, and i could be wrong, it appears that more oil is coming from the cover than from the seal. The bolts tend to loosen up also, a little bit of lock tite blue is advisable.
  18. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that most of the "stop leak" products for engines/transmissions/rear ends are, as stated prior, "rubber swellers" (insert joke here:). I used some on my old cars when I was young/broke. They actually did slow the leaks for a bit. I'd give it a shot if it is just a temp fix.

Obviously, don't use radiator "stop leak":)

Good luck.
  19. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, not in your crankcase anyway, but Bars Leaks radiator stuff is pretty good. It was actually installed at the factory in Jaguar V-12's to prevent the cast iron sleeves from leaking.
  20. Tommy2

Tommy2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea..Any additive, etc is just a temp fix you throw in a car/truck you don't like/care about very much. Who knows what that crap does to bearings, etc.
    Oil goes in crankcase, and thats it.