Who is best motorcycle shipper for South America to the U.S.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JourneyRider.com, Oct 29, 2007.

1. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I am currently in El Salvador and am riding my bike down to the tip of Argentina and than back up close to the top of South America. I do not want to go through the hassle part of riding through Central America again (lots of dangers and hard to deal with customs people trying to rip you off because you don't know Spanish). Instead I want to ship my bike back from maybe Brazil or Venezuela.

I have looked into shipping it from Brazil and have found a air shipper called Variglog who has a pretty good reputation and seems reasonably priced. $750 from Rio de Janeiro to Miami.

What are your thoughts, I am open to a lot of ideas right now.

BTW: I want to have my bike shipped to Florida so that I can take a ferry to Cuba and ride around Cuba. I am a Canadian citizen so I think it should be possible for me to go to Cuba from the U.S.

Thanks,
    Geoff
  2. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    If I were you and it is possible, I'd fly the bike from SA to Cuba then direct to Canada. From Miami to Cuba or Key West to Cuba would have to be illegal and this forum is not the place to get answers. If no other choice, Key West would be the safer place to leave from if at all possible. Large ships, I doubt it unless you went to the Bahamas first. From Mexico might work since you could do it legally.

Good luck.
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Eduardo & I are looking at about the same price from Lan Cargo - Chile for Santiago to LA. We're having trouble pinning them down or even speaking with a real person who knows the program for motorcycles (hazardous cargo). We don't even know for sure if LAX is accepting hazardous shipments. We might get routed through Miami again? Anyone who has any up to date info on this, I'd be very interested :ear
  4. chasfactor

chasfactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    R dubb...others..

I am about to ship from LAX to Santiago via LAN Cargo. I have the contact info for LAN in LA.

Two flights per week go through Miami to LAX or vice versa .....

Cost is likely around 1500-2500 CASH Each way... if leaves on Sat arrives in Santiago Mon morning...

It appears air freight is much better than sea ... bikes arrive much quicker and much more certain and trackable...

I am wishing to ride all the way back to USA thru CA and will have to just deal with the borders...just takes a lot of patience

LAN no in LAX is 800-773-3975 or 310-645-3878

I believe bikes are allowed into LAX most likely despite Dangerous Goods.. must have DG certificate though.. obtained near airport in LA at 3A Packing..

Bike obviously must have nearly all fuel drained and battery disconnected...

More input from all would always help...

Chas
  5. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    From looking at unlimitedhorizons.com it seems that Rio de Janeiro is the most trusted city for shipping bikes in SA. I did not check the previous travelers experiences with shipping from Chile though.

I checked shipping from Venezuela and it was 3 times the price of Rio and only one person has done it.
  6. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    Call these guys.

Adcom Worldwide (LAX)
    11203 S. La Cienega Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
    General: 310-216-0379 Ext. 104
    Direct: 310-981-9184
    Fax: 310-216-9625

Adcom Warehouse Facility:
    912 W. Hillcrest Blvd.
    (Dock 17 - 29)
    Inglewood, CA 90301

Tell you all you want to know about shipping a bike from South America to LAX. As mentioned before in several thread in this forum, if shipping a bike from SA to LAX, expect the US Customs process to take at least two weeks. Cost to ship my R1150GS, panniers and gear (300Kgs) was approx. $1750.
  7. robd19

robd19 Moto Sojourner

Oddometer:
    I too am on the quest to ship my bike from ny to chile or even argentina. It's crzy how ridiculous it is just to get an answer. Are you guys using enclosed crates or just pallets? Are they charging by weight or volume? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be sure to post what I find out.

Rob
  8. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    From USA to S/A destinations, it appears to me that Miami may be the only viable option. I've been told, but unable to verify, that LAX and HAS do not handle hazardous air cargo bound for South America. It's a TSA thing. The company we are using for SF>Miami >>Quito is APX. http://www.freight-calculator.com Or call Andy at APX (877) 597-0258 x4.

They require the bikes to be crated and trucked to the terminal in Miami. Originally they were to handle the actual crating in Miami, but the uncrated trucking price turned out to be over 2x the crated price, so we elected to crate the bikes ourselves in San Francisco.

We're paying about $350 per bike for the truck ride to Miami, and the service was excellent. They picked up the bikes at our garage with a lift gate bobtail. The trip took about four days to Miami where the crates now await shipment to Quito.

The actual APX quote is fairly complicated. They go by the greater of weight or the volumetric equivalent minimum weight. There are also a number of fixed charges like a hazardous shipment fee. The fixed charges amounted to about $600 per bike. The volume equivalent is the one KG = 366 cubic inches. The rate per KG for Miami>>Quito was about $2.50. ((LxHxW)/366) x 2.50. In our case the total was about $1600 per bike for APX plus the trucking makes it $2000 per motorcycle plus the crate which we built for $150 each.

To keep the volume price down we removed the front wheel and the wind screens which made for a much more compact shape, but not easy to move a bike with one wheel into position and block it up in a stable position and determine how big to make the crate. If we had crated the bike with the wheel on, the shipping price would be about $400 higher for each.

The service from APX has been very helpful and flexible thus far. The bikes are now in Miami awaiting departure for Ecuador in a week or so. We will find out if they get there when we do. I expect they will. APX does all the customs and security clearance in Miami. You must supply them with the original title and a notarized power of attorney to handle the export process. At the other end in Ecuador, they provide no assistance. The owner must be present to comply with tourist laws at that end and clear customs in person.

I believe APX flies daily to many S/A destinations. Quito is about the closest of all of them, so rates are no doubt higher for other places although the fixed fee part should not change. Be aware that a number of other forwarding companies sell space on the same planes. We found APX to be the most knowledgeable, as the have a loosely defined "motorcycle department" in Miami. They do not do any return shipments. We are still looking for a freight forwarder in Santiago for the return leg. LAN-Cargo is at the top of the list, but so far we haven't been able to break through to anyone who deals with motorcycles within the company.
  9. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is Fidel letting us USers into Cuba.
    Last I knew you couldn't go directly from US to Cuba.
  11. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    The question was asked by a Canadian, which complicates things. He can probably get into Cuba, but won't be able to leave the US to go there directly. I have my doubts if they will let him in with a motorcycle in any case.
  12. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's that book I read a few years ago...Mi moto Fidel....I think.
    Guy takes a R100GS through Cuba. He had some sort of government ok because he was writing a tourism book.
  13. davidmc

davidmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I air shipped my bike from Sydney, Australia to LAX a year ago, uncrated. I doubt you will have a problem. FYI, the only way to get any accurate information is to go down in person to the cargo terminal where you will ship and ask the folks actually doing the shipping. The sales & customer service agents on the phone are worthless. If you need any more info, PM or email me direct.
  14. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    The cuban govt. has never been the problem. It is our 50 year joke of a policy which hasn't accomplished anything. He got the bike over on a private fishing boat...under the radar so to speak. :eek1
  15. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    Here is my freight forwarding contact with Lan-Cargo in Buenos Aires. Perhaps she can tell you who her counterpart is in Santiago.

Lic. Dafne Janowski

ALL CARGO S.A.
    Av Rivadavia 893, 10th Floor.
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Tel 54-11-4345 6262
    Oficina Aeropuerto de Ezeiza: 54-11-54805129/30
    www.allcargo.com.ar

E-mail: d_janowski@allcargo.com.ar

Good luck,

Neal

16. joder!

joder! joder!

Oddometer:

Thank you for the contact I will try going arround Argentina, I contacted Lan Cargo LAX and they could not help me and refered me to Santiago, I have been in the phone with no luck to contact someone at the Cargo area, also recently they change the phone numbers, and one very nice operator gave me a contact in Santiago with a cargo phone extension. Left many messages not one response! (maybe because was a long distance call?) any help on a contact in Santiago for LAN cargo?:ear
  17. joder!

joder! joder!

Oddometer:
    Rick at the beak in the pic! endup replacing it for a crashed one I had arround (turkey encounter)