Who is making panniers for the GSA?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 7seas10, Oct 19, 2013.

1. 7seas10

7seas10 7SEAS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got my GSA this morning and I want panniers but not the OEM aluminum ones,
    I want the Zega Pro, but Touratech did not come out with them yet.
    I am getting the Zega Pro 38L top case and I am thinking on getting a pair of soft bags until the alu ones come out.

I found this which I like:

http://www.advdesigns.com/romosababywo.html

32L each, no bad at all for soft bags.

Any thoughts anybody?
  2. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been running the Kriega Overlander 60 system and I like it. It is light, durable and stays firmly attached to the bike and waterproof. The system removes and attaches fairly quickly from the rack (Touratech Rack). I have gone down about 3 times on each side and the bags have held up well. Fairly low speed get-offs, but on rocky terrain. There is more information online and also in the vendor section of ADV Rider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers - Pangia
    clax likes this.
  3. servdave

servdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no personal experience with wolfman products but I know a fair few people that do and absolutely rave about them. If I was to go soft luggage than I would be looking at wolfman luggage.

Going back to hard panniers, I am sure that the luggage manufactures will catch up with the 800GS adventure soon. BMW did a very good job of keeping the 800GS under the radar. With the bigger fuel tanks most panniers frames that fit the 800GS won't fit the GSA.

I would imagine most will be doing what Metal Mule is doing (I use to work for them and still get involved in some development work) and re-designing the frames to fit both the GSA and standard models!

Good luck with your luggage search! :D
  4. 7seas10

7seas10 7SEAS Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Kriega are nice with good capacity.
    Your bike looks very rugged with those bags, great job!
  5. 7seas10

7seas10 7SEAS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Metal Mule would be nice to have, hopefully they come out soon with a rack for the gsa.
  6. servdave

servdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, they are just finishing up some accessories for the WC 1200GS, next up will be the 800GSA, I shall keep you in the loop as I shall be getting involved with the development process!
  7. 7seas10

7seas10 7SEAS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please do, Thanks
  8. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I talked to the guys at Touratech last month about the GSA Pannier Systems and they told me that at the moment, the guys in Germany are not working on providing Zega Pros for the F800 GSA. He said the Germans did fabricate a rack and attached current Zega Pros to the rack and it made the bike too wide.

If you look at the stock BMW panniers for the F800 GSA, in order to get them close to the bike as possible, they had fit both the rack and the panniers around the larger fuel tank and in so doing, you lose some of the interior space in the panniers...so it's plausible that mounting stock Zega Pros on a fabricated mount that cleared the tank, did make the bike look wide in the rear.

So I'm thinking that in order to provide Zega Pros for the GSA, they would have to be designed like the stock BMW units...which by the way are made by Touratech using BMWs specs. Personally, I don't like the bare metal finish of the BMW units and have been looking for something else.

Jesse Luggage hasn't made anything for the GSA as of yet (that I know of) and one of the other venders I considered was Metal Mule, but I just have a hard time getting used to that exposed piano hinge down the side. Looks cheesy, like something someone put together in high school shop class. By all accounts they are well made though and I like their "balanced" system, but I don't think I will ever get past that piano hinge on the outboard side. If it were on the inboard side, I could probably live with it.

Anyway, BMW did catch many vendors by surprise in bringing out the F800 GSA and in the places where it matters, they are playing catchup.

I look forward to hearing any news of any vendor coming out with something for the GSA.
  9. 7seas10

7seas10 7SEAS Supporter

Oddometer:

I completely agreed with you.
  10. servdave

servdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, I shall pass on to metal mule that there is a few guys waiting for developments.

The Metal Mule loop will fit a variety of panniers as well as there own so it would be good start to mount most soft and hard luggage.
  11. iainnic

iainnic Traveller....

Oddometer:
    Has anyone got an update on this one please ? Is the only option to buy the BMW luggage ?

Iain
  12. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    how can this be your first post in 5 years :huh
    Been in some kind of coma? Weird kinda noob go fill out your profile :lol3
  13. iainnic

iainnic Traveller....

Oddometer:
    Yes - not been on for a while - but not that long - checking profile now :)
  14. 7seas10

7seas10 7SEAS Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. iainnic

iainnic Traveller....

Oddometer:
    Yes - have some AS Magadans from my other bike - they may be used !

Iain
  16. clax

clax Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just got my 800GSA and upon doing a little research I found this slightly old thread. Of course the photo links are out of date. How did you manage to get your Kriega Overlander 60 system on the 800gsa rack?? I'd love to get mine on there

thanx

Clay D