Who is Riding to Alaska in 2017

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by bigjohnsd, Dec 26, 2016.

1. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip with three friends. We'll leave Eureka MT on June 8th, Canadian Rockies, Jasper etc en route to Dawson for D2D, following D2D a ride to Inuvik, then back to Dawson, over the Top of the World Hwy. I think they are turning around at that point but I'm planning on Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Prince Rupert, Port Hardy, Victoria, Port Angeles and Portland Oregon. Looking at six weeks plus or minus. 09 KLR is the steed of choice.
  2. Sunflash

Sunflash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you need anything when you get to Fairbanks just let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    bigjohnsd likes this.
  3. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    Solo trip from central Orygun, beginning on or about May 31. North through BC, then west at Prince George, north again on the Cassiar. TOTW through Chicken, then a day or two in Tok (Thompson's Eagle's Claw) for rest and planning. Other destinations vary depending on circumstances and weather; allowing two weeks to wander around before heading home.
    smilin jack and bigjohnsd like this.
  4. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll see you at D2D.

I'm leaving 2 June headed towards Great Falls, MT and then to Lake Louise, Dawson Creek, Tok, Anchorage, Kennecott Mine, Coldfoot, Prudhoe Bay, TOW and then to D2D..

Also taking my 2016 Camo KLR...
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunflash, when are you due back? Can't wait to about your trip. Mine won't be as epic, but have finally gotten the bike for it. See you in Fairbanks in April or sooner if you pass through Phoenix before April.

Sorry to derail the thread. Back to regularly scheduled programming.
  6. flyhi2cfar

flyhi2cfar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About June 5th out of Cincinnati. Meeting up at various locations with up to 4 others, en-route from GA - IN - MT & OR. The D2D Gathering 1st destination.
    Bunch of misfits on everything... GSW, Yammy TW250, 1150GS, GSAW, and a R12RT (pavement planning)
    After visiting with "the dick" n' friends at Dawson City... a meander that includes most all of the above 5 entries/reply's. We are ALL 1st timer's to the YK / AK ride zone.
    Have about 23 days from end of D2D until the annual MOA rendezvous back in Salt Lake City. Enough time to "get it right" on this ride; if the late June, early July
    weather is cooperative in that region. Will likely ride the Icefields Parkway route southbound. We mostly camp, so our biggest decision seems to be tire decisions...
    the where & when to change out & whether to ship/carry. A couple of us want a ride toward Inuvik and/or Prudhoe.
    Undoubtedly will see a few of you along the journey.
  7. pauleknight

pauleknight Need Cool Name Here

Oddometer:
    I am planning my annual mancation and am planning on Key West to Deadhorse arriving in Deadhorse on July 4th.

Still trying to plan my route thru Canada to Deadhorse. I have limited vacation time so time is of the essence as I need to get back to FL ASAP.
  8. Splantingatree

Splantingatree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning to head up that way in June with the old man, attending my first D2D and his 3rd. I've got the 2nd to the 25th off from work so plenty of time to make it there and back from Grande Prairie AB.
  9. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fly hi on the ADV bikes Mitas tires such as E07 rear/E10 front would be a good choice to get you there and back and the Michelin Pilot Road for,the street oriented bike wouldn't be bad. You can even get TKC 80s for sport bikes. Nutty Nu has a you tube channel riding his CBR600RR all over Alaska. But tires are like oil, just buy what makes you happy and have a good time.

Sounds like a lot of good times this summer.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  10. Sunflash

Sunflash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be back home by then but I am flying the return leg. Though I passed by Pheonix in October.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  11. Czsteve

Czsteve n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I am also from GP AB and was wanting to go to Alaska my son and my self his BMW 800 mine 1190r both set up for long trips but this would be our first
  12. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Splantingatree

Splantingatree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This will be my first trip up north and will be my Dad's 3rd time. He'll be my tour guide :)
    Elad likes this.
  14. Masterblaster

Masterblaster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in.
  15. kevin g

kevin g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am leaving San Diego about Memorial weekend and have 8 weeks planned for the whole trip. I will be on my 2011 GSA. I will go to the D2D and Prudhoe bay and as much as I can in the southern part of the state. It is my first trip and I am flying solo so I hope to meet up with some of you along the way.
    Hitch111716, BikerBill and squr3l like this.
  16. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll have a great time with two months. Slow down and enjoy Alaska.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  17. slobinski

slobinski easily amused

Oddometer:
    With all that time you have, I'd suggest taking it slow in the Yukon Territory as well and visiting the smaller towns; camp out at the less-traveled spots. I really enjoyed towns on the Silver Trail (Faro and Mayo), visiting the Signpost Hill, camping at Frenchman Lake, Little Salmon Lake, Five Mile Lake; the South Canol was a great scenic ride (camped at Quiet Lake). Don't think I'd ride the South Canol solo again, especially in the rain. Many miles of sketchy slippery road, plenty of bear sign; didn't see another human for pretty much a whole day.

I'm not a real social critter, but found Yukon residents to be fun/hilarious to talk with and always ready to offer information or assistance. For the hell of it, stop at a roadside lodge now and then for a cup o' coffee and a sandwich. Interesting characters abound.

This will be my fourth trip to Alaska; I look forward to it more each time. Seems to me like the real "good stuff" begins once you're north of Prince George.
    YMMV.

P.S. If you camp in Tok at Thompson's, ask Vanessa about the mail plane ride (Forty Mile Air) to Chisana and back. A beautiful and inexpensive way to see the back country.
    Bacca and squr3l like this.
  18. kevin g

kevin g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    slobinski, thanks for the tips.

I plan to have a 7 weight fly rod with me. I love stream fishing in the sierras but I bet the streams are monsters up there. I hope to hit some nice small flows for some fly fishing.
    smilin jack likes this.
  19. squr3l

squr3l Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still in the planning stages but I'm hoping to hit D2D and make it up to Prudhoe Bay as well. Thinking I'll take my time on the way up from CA and do the OBDR to WA border, spending 2-3 months round trip. Thanks for those suggestions slobinski!
  20. AKIrish

AKIrish n00b

Oddometer:
    Live in Alaska (Anchorage) been riding for years but only recently got into dual sporting because of the gorgeous state I find myself living in. Let me know when you're in or around town. Would love to meet a fellow rider and pick your brain about your trip.