Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    It is 2016 - time to start scheduling a ride to Alaska.

I am hoping to ride the Haul Road to Prudhoe Bay in late June.
    I would like to ride through Dawson around D2D, but don't plan on spending any time there for the games, etc (time is just too short.)
    Also would like to ride Top of the World, and a side trip to Eagle, AK ("Coming Into The Country")
    Other desired side trips include Denali Highway, Richardson Hwy to Valdez, and the Edgerton Hwy to McCarthy. In other words, as much as I can squeeze in!
    I am hoping to ride about 3 weeks, and that doesn't leave any time for Anchorage.

I live in Arkansas, but may trailer to ID to cut off 2,000 HOT highway miles coming and going.
    My plan is to ride the loop up and back through BC to avoid riding the ALCAN twice and maximize the scenery.

Anyone else planning similar routes about the same time? I would expect to cross paths with other ADV riders almost daily.

PS. I plan to camp 90% of the time. I have already done the TAT, AZBDR, COBDR, UTBDR and am prepared to ride solo - but will welcome compatible riders for any sections that have schedules that mesh up.
  2. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    You'll have lots of company in all likelihood. You might consider the Dempster instead of the Dalton. I believe a few of us might head up that way immediately following D2D. Nicer road I'm told.
  3. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to ride the Dempster after D2D.
  4. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't been up the dempster, but I'd like to try it this summer. We'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll have a big group after d2d
  5. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    The Dempster will have to wait until next trip. I need to check the Haul Road off my list first, and this trip will be at least 3 weeks already.
  6. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I departed Kentucky for Alaska July 10, 2015 and had very good weather with only 5-6 days rain during my four week adventure. I rode from Fairbanks and camped at Coldfoot. Then to Prudhoe Bay then hotel for the night. Camped again at Coldfoot on the way south. Rain south from Coldfoot but the road was still pretty easy riding with just slick mud here and there. If it's been raining hard for a while on the Dalton Hwy it would be a challenge for most anyone(my opinion). The Alcan south of Dawson Creek was boring for me. I rode the Cassiar Hwy north and loved it! Saw one of two bears I encountered on the whole trip about 20 minutes north of the Yellowhead Hwy. Hyder Alaska/Stewart BC is worth the stop and the ride west from the Cassiar is just awesome.
  7. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving western NC May 15 heading to Prudhoe Bay then down to Mexico on my little WR250R yamadama. Wandering slowly for 3-4 months. Got one 7,000 mile trip on it so far and looking forward to this 14,000 mile ride!
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  8. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Get ahold of "The Dick" he would probably hook up with you at the bridge over the Klondike River and ride all the way into Dawson City with you if'n you ask purty... He's a wild and crazy ADV'r like that!
  9. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    Jeez,he'd really go that far? For a nooby? Unmatched hospitality.
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no end to his hospitality. Annie and I were in Nakusp, BC last August and The Dick rode down just to welcome us back to Canada.
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir! I will add The Dick to my contact list. The lower 48 are old news to me after all the years on the GS. I'm looking forward to seeing Alaska on the 250. My motto when I retired is "I'd rather have more time than money".....got my wish :)
  12. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    There isn't a better person to know in the Northern Yukon than The Dick! He fixed me up with a 17" TKC80 for my front before D2D '14!

Thanks Dick! Next time I'm up I'll bring you some wine just for what you do for other people! :thumb
    907 and FLARider1 like this.
  13. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drove my wife up to Coldfoot one March in the Truck and rode the Dempster on my bike. If I had to choose only one of the two roads again, it would be the Dempster hands down.
  14. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving on the Bellingham to Skagway ferry 6/10. D2D, then Quien Sabies.?
  15. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    I'm heading up there this year leaving end of May (27 or 28). The proposed route up.

[​IMG]

On the return I'm planning on D2D, Dempster would be great, not sure if I'll have the time.
  16. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Welcome Tewster2.
    Just watched your video ride report on the mighty 250.

Coffee and New Friends, One 250cc Explosion at a Time

Good shit and highly recommended!
    Hang out for awhile on this regional and you'll find all kinds of advice.
    Some of it is pretty good.

Fite
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks Fite. I've enjoyed the hours I've spent reading Alaska RR's and talking online to those in the know. The ride up and around Canada and Alaska has been on my bucket list for decades and now I'm un-employed (by choice thankfully) I'm gonna wander without a schedule for a while. Would love to meet you when I'm cruising slowly through your patch of heaven.
    Whitbylad. likes this.
  18. gharnden

gharnden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Did you send it to me? If you did it has not come through yet.....
  20. gharnden

gharnden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent PM to rbrhsv, the original thread starter.