Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016? Me! I'll be home tomorrow, June 1st.
    smilin jack and AKDuc like this.
  2. Crackerbiker

Crackerbiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I are leaving Florida on June 18. I just packed everything to check the weight and load. Riding a KTM 1290 SA. Naked bike weighs 505, about 550 with 7.9 gallons of gas. I weigh 200 with all gear (helmet, boots, etc.) and the two KTM side panniers weigh 19 and 17 and the top box another 17. Will be carrying two dry bags straddling the pillion and the side boxes. Heavy stuff is low. Will be camping along the way. Have an extra chain, brake pads, fuel filter & tools. Gear weights 86 lbs. All total, 890, which should be nice and manageable. My wife and I rode two-up to Tennessee and NC in the fall and weighed more than that. Can't wait for the trip and thanks for all the tips on this forum. Have TKC 80 tires waiting in Whitehorse. Hope to see some of you soon.
    eemsreno and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  3. reunice

reunice R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    We made a quick run down to Key West last week and back home to Georgia. Installed new tires, changed oil and performed routine maintenance on the 1200GSA and F700GS. We head out again next week to finish our trip to Prudhoe Bay. We plan to mostly camp along the way and be back in early Aug for a stop at Sturgis before riding back home to Georgia.
    Hopefully we will meet a few of you in Alaska! image.jpeg
  4. GS_Norseman

GS_Norseman Multifarious

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Virginia on or about the 11th. I'll be kicking around Western Canada and Alaska for three weeks. Say HI if you see me. me on bmw.jpg
  5. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a Facebook post over the weekend that they hoped to find pavement by the end of this week and then they still gotta get the road fixed!! I was there in 2011 a week after it opened on July 13th that year. The road was still a mess, lots of construction and waiting in lines to get around the construction. After having done Ice Fields Parkway and the ride down to Hyder, AK, I thought the Going to the Sun Road was a huge letdown and rather boring.
  6. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two of us leaving Homestead Florida heading down to Key West and then north to Prudhoe Bay on June 30th. Should be rolling through St Louis on July 2nd. One 2007 GSA and one 2015 Super Tenere
    reunice and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  7. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This. Having done both the Promenade des Glaciers (I like that sound better than Icefields Parkway), Hwy 37A to Hyder, Going to the Sun, Richardson Highway and Beartooth, I'll skip Going to the Sun every time. Nice road I suppose but not high up on my list at all.
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the Going to the Sun Road three times in the past few years. It's a great ride if you start a half hour before sunrise to avoid the traffic.
    FLARider1 likes this.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    It's a nice road, if I lived in Big Sky Country I would ride it more often. :webers
    FLARider1 likes this.
  10. GS_Norseman

GS_Norseman Multifarious

Oddometer:
    You should win a prize. I'm going to shamelessly plagiarize that in my blog when the time comes.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  11. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    It's on all the signs as you ride through.. But thanks anyway.
  12. GS_Norseman

GS_Norseman Multifarious

Oddometer:
    Neat! I'm so excited!! Can't wait to experience Promenade des Glaciers!

Any inmates ride the Smith Dorrien Trail out of Canmore to Kananaskis Trail and back via Bow Valley Trail? Google street view indicates Smith Dorrien is gravel :) and the others are paved. Looks like a nice loop to take early morning or late afternoon (sunrise or sunset).
    trail1.JPG trail with lake.JPG
  13. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    742? That looks like a beautiful ride, and just a few hours and probably not much traffic.
  14. GS_Norseman

GS_Norseman Multifarious

Oddometer:
    Yes, 742 to 40 to 1A. Google says it's a 3 hour ride without stops; probably a 1/2 day ride with stops for photos and such. I saw a post about that loop somewhere and it looked interesting enough to make a mental note about it.
  15. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Look like a good finding.. wonder if you could do a wild camping along the trail?
  16. GS_Norseman

GS_Norseman Multifarious

Oddometer:
  17. reunice

reunice R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    We are about 3 weeks ahead of you. Passed through St. Louis today.
    image.jpeg
  18. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE
    We are about 3 weeks ahead of you. Passed through St. Louis today.

[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

I saw your post in GS Giants the other day. You were only about 6 miles from the house as you went through Homestead down into the Keys, could have had a beverage or hosted you guys for the night!!

Leave the lights on, we will be following you soon!!!! How long will you be up north?
    reunice likes this.
  19. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allĂ­

Oddometer:
    Status update on the trip.

We were really looking forward to seeing a bear and the first one we I see, Mike (didn't see) hits. The bear ran into Mike's front tire and thanks to his years of off-road experience and cat-like reflexes avoids complete catastrophe.

Mike's okay. The bear didn't fare so well. Mike's bike is rideable... but probably not going to make Prudhoe Bay.

Waiting on a call from his insurance company and BMW roadside assistance to determine I'm going to have to continue on from here in the morning solo.
  20. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    shitty news hook. where did this happen?