Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Just North of Smithers. We're in New New Hazelton now.
  2. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    well you can take some solace knowing you chose the correct route north at this particular time. Dawson Creek, mile zero on the Alaska Highway, is currently underwater from serious flooding in the region. highway 97 is closed to traffic, they have been getting pounded with rain for the last 2 days, they got 4 inches in a 24 hr period. they are even evacuating parts of town
    FLARider1 likes this.
  3. xjwheeler

xjwheeler Adventurer

Oddometer:

FLARider1: My buddies and I should be rolling out of STL on July the 2nd What route are you taking west?

Kyle
  4. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    xjwheeler: I will be a few days ahead of you. What route are you taking north? We're crossing the border in Montana. If you see a blue GSW/A , two up w/UT plates say hello.
  5. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    Space is an issue with two up for 18 days. My passenger is my teenage daughter. Are you packing heated gear? I read GS Norseman's post of riding in rain in 40 degree temps last week. We depart July 1st and with any luck will arrive in Fairbanks around July 12th or 13th.
  6. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    OK after checking out Alaska 511 I'm packing heated jackets. Current, at mile marker 356-414 it is rain/snow mix and 35 degrees.
  7. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coming into STL on July 2nd on I-64, to I-70 to I-29 to I-80 to I-25/90 to Ranchester, WY. Then 14 down to Cody, up 120 to Chief Joseph Highway over to 212 and Beartooth Pass and back to I-90. From Missoula, MT to 93/200 up to Sandpoint, ID and cross at Port Hill into Creston, BC. Up 3A/31/23 along Lake Kootenay through Revelstoke and Golden, back down to Radium Hot Springs over to Lake Louise and then Icefields Parkway up to Jasper. 16 west to Kitwanga and up the Cassier to the ALCAN at Watson Lake. Then onto Prudhoe Bay!!

We will be leaving out of Nashville on the 2nd so you guys will probably have a good jump ahead of us. We hope to make it about an 800 mile day and stay in York NE for the night. Running lots of interstates on the front end and back end to spend max time up north. Our trip will be roughly 15000 miles in 30 days. Work sucks and I don't have even vacation time to do it the way I really want to do it.

See PM.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  8. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    The trax so far... Currently in Palmer waiting in an old army friend for lunch then headed for Chicken.

The Mrs flew in to Anchorage and we spent 4 nights in the Homer/Anchorage area- so I'm a bit behind.

The Dalton wasn't too bad. A little slick in parts and some large loose rock stuff- but nothing unmanageable.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  9. reunice

reunice R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg
    I saw your post in GS Giants the other day. You were only about 6 miles from the house as you went through Homestead down into the Keys, could have had a beverage or hosted you guys for the night!!

Leave the lights on, we will be following you soon!!!! How long will you be up north?[/QUOTE]

Still up here. Leaving Anchorage next week for Prudhoe Bay.
  10. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    nice, buffalo steaks are pretty good eatin'.

speaking of hippies...there was a group of them staying at the gov't campsite across the Yukon River from Dawson, nice enough during the day but wailed away on their guitars all fucking night singing and hollering until 6 or 7 am. one of my buds decided that he would join them for a drink one night and hung out with them for a few hours, the guy with the truck and camper came over to our camp and introduced himself. said his given name was Adam, but he goes by the name Easter. he was from Vancouver Island, we asked him what he did for a living and without batting an eye he says "I sell drugs. acid and ketamine".

this dude was 6'10" tall with size 16 feet. skinny as a bean pole. he looked malnourished, but he was pleasant and friendly as hell...sure explained why the fuckers were up all night singing and laughing, they were all whacked out of their gourds. he came by several times after the first meeting, we'd give him our empties and even some leftover ribs from our supper one night at Klondike Kate's...which he happily took and thanked us for. he said we'd never have to worry about leaving our stuff behind at the campsite as he would be watching over it for us.

he didn't want his picture taken...I suspect he's wanted in several provinces or something lol.
  11. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    I am back from Alaska. What an awesome trip! So great I am already planing to duplicate the trip next year - by truck so my Wife can see everything I saw this summer.
    Here is the link to my picture slide show on YouTube:

And here is the link to the review of my Honda NC700XD that I rode for 7,122 miles, including about 1,000 miles on unpaved roads across Alaska:
  12. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    We made it to the Arctic Ocean and survived the Dalton Highway.

http://daddydaughterak.blogspot.com

The 2016 BMW GSA W was the right bike for this trip. Changing tires to the Anakee Wilds was another good choice for the Dalton Highway. The tires are noisy on pavement, I will burn them down on the return trip.
  13. 2wheeladv

Oddometer:
    July 27th I ride home via Cassiar, Prince George, Vancover, BC, Reno, SLC. Any suggestions on things to see...I will be slabbing it pretty hard to put down 3,500 in 6-7 days.
    smilin jack likes this.
  14. SlimRandy

SlimRandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Oklahoma June 1 headed to Prudhoe then back down south. Get in touch with me if you want to travel or meet up. I plan on stealth camping mostly.
  15. SlimRandy

SlimRandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am leaving Oklahoma June 1 and taking a similar route onnthe way up as yo . Look for Lucy and me, my firefighter red Harley Ultra. Plan on doing west coast ride to San Diego on the return trip
  16. SlimRandy

SlimRandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I leave oklahoma June 1 going up through jasper. I may see you on the road
  17. SlimRandy

SlimRandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm headed for prudhoe, leaving Oklahoma June 1. I'll be doing Denali and mccarthy, Homer, hyder on the way back.
  18. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread was for June 2016. Unless you are packing a time travel machine with you, I'll wager it is impossible to meet these peeps on the road :D
    bigjohnsd and CaptUglyDan like this.
  19. SlimRandy

SlimRandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops. I see that now.
  20. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe one of the Admin guru's can lock this thread to prevent future errors