Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be making a similar trip myself up to Fairbanks early April, but on four instead two wheels. Heading up for the season for my first job as a Technician. Stop by Trails End if you get a chance.
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Congratulations DU.
    Please try to keep Justin and the gang at Trails End in line!:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod:nod
    Fite
  3. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My brother and I are heading up to Fairbanks from the DC area leaving June 18. We only have 3 weeks so not a lot of time to look around. Well head up again when we retire. We're heading straight north and going through Canada on the way there and down through Seattle and America on the way back.
  4. mjs91882

mjs91882 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds super, I'm looking to do a summer trip myself. Look to see Canada and have thought about going to Alaska. I would be leaving from upstate Ny. Can't wait!!
  5. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    If you're on tight time constraints be sure to check the speed limits along your proposed route. You MAY find it quicker to go farther West in the US before going North as the US limits tend to be higher, sometimes much higher!
  6. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm probably leaving Oklahoma first week of June, back by first week of August.
    Visit places I missed my first ride up in 2009. Salmon Glacier, Telegraph Creek, Kennecott mine, Inuvik and/or Deadhorse. And other points between.
  7. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reminder. I was up in Canada about 10 years ago and remember being surprised at how low the speed limits are.
  8. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Buddy and I are heading up this June from Augusta, GA. Been planning and prepping for a year.
  9. mb289

mb289 2 Wheels Welding LLC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm heading for Alaska from Charleston, SC on June 11. Meeting a buddy in MT. I have 5 weeks. Also been planning for a year. Hope to see a few of you on the way.

Dave
  10. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While visiting Alaska this summer, we hope you take the time to visit the seven memorial sites there, it's a good way to explore different parts of the state. You can see 2015 sites here: http://tourofhonor.com/pages/memorials2015a.html

2016 sites will be released April 1, including one involving a 2.5 mile one-lane tunnel used by both trains and vehicles (no, not at the same time). Flyer_2016_MD.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. Just so I'm clear if I sign up and visit the seven sites in AK when I'm there this summer I can get a finisher certificate? My mind is hitting false neutrals these days....
  12. THogland

THogland Back in Alaska!

Oddometer:
    That's correct. However, if you're coming up here from NC you have an opportunity to finish a LOT of states along the way. I'd guess that something like 50+ sites will be reasonably close to your route.
  13. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll get signed up soon.
  14. okanoganJim

okanoganJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am planning to head north to Alaska, leaving Seattle around the Memorial Day time frame. So far I am solo. Just plan to start rolling and see how things go, no hard and fast agenda, but D2D and Dalton are all on the would-like-to-do list. Hope to cross paths with some of you on the road.
    smilin jack likes this.
  15. MtnRider2

MtnRider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving Northern CA July 26th and returning by August 31st. Oh so much to explore and I can't wait. Sorry it doesn't sound as though we will cross paths but hopefully we'll run into other ADV'ers
  16. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    With so few roads up here it's pretty much a guarantee you'll see a few other riders each day and in most towns and stops.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  17. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I are trying to squeeze in the 3 week version- but that puts us having to do 500 miles a day just to eat the milage.

Not that 500 miles is difficult- but 21 days of 500 miles average doesn't leave a lot of time for sight seeing.

As it gets closer we should compare routes/notes.
  18. shotsprockets

shotsprockets Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Pendleton OR area June 11 for D2D and the Dempster via Ice Fields Parkway/ Hyder / Cassiar HWY , etc. Camping 90% of the trip. First time north of Prince George. Happy for company any leg of the trip.
    smilin jack likes this.
  19. lfmn

lfmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan. We can at least wave as we pass each other! :y0!
  20. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I rode to Prudhoe Bay from Kentucky last July-August. 12,102 miles in 26 days=465 miles per day average. The most miles ridden in one day was just under 800, and the least ridden was 245(Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay). I actually had 35 days to complete the trip, but ended up getting into a rush. When I go back I'll take two months and really get a better look at Alaska and Yukon.

Best of Luck!

2008 BMW R1200GSA (Beemer)
    2014 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Limited (Boots)