Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. mhrutter

mhrutter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To celebrate my 65th year I plan to leave Raleigh on 4 June, make my way through the northern US through Glacier NP, Jasper, Hyder and on to Dawson City for the D2D. Would like to ride the Dempster after that then to Chicken, Eagle and on to Fairbanks. If weather or other circumstances didn't make the Dempster available I will look at doing the Arctic Circle by way of the Haul Road. Then down to Denali and Anchorage where I will meet up with the spousal unit for a ride to Whittier, ferry to Valdez then the Richardson and Glenn Hwys with a side trip to Talkeetna before returning to Anchorage to drop the wife off to fly home. My trip home is still in the planning phase, but I plan to get to Haines then either ferry on down the coast or just to Skagway and ride down. Trip back may be less leisurely since I want to meet friends at the MOA in New York by 14 July. First time to Alaska, and I solicit any advice, suggestions, comments. I plan to solo and do some camping along the way. I will need a place to store all my gear in Anchorage while the wife is aboard for a week, any suggestions on that will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  3. MtnRider

MtnRider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a very similar route to what I'm looking at doing from Northern CA in the end of July. Now I just need to figure out how you did that on google maps.
  4. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Map it with Furkot, uses google for it's maps but removes the restrictions.
    smilin jack likes this.
  5. ZiaThunder

Oddometer:
    I used furkot then exported it in kml, then imported into Google maps.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
    MtnRider likes this.
  6. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I like that and it gives me some ideas. I'm relocating to SoCal this summer, so I'll have to wait for 2017, unfortunately.

I see you're coming through Glacier on your way back - not sure your exact dates, but if you plan on being there before early July, it's possible the Going to the Sun Road won't be plowed the entire way through, yet... I think they usually plan for it to be open sooner than that, but I think in 2012-ish it didn't open until July 2nd or so.
  7. ZiaThunder

Oddometer:

I'm worried about that with all the snow we've had this year, but if I can't hit them on this trip. It'll mean I'm home sooner and I'll just have to take some more time off later this year and plan on another trip to see them.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. DirtRoad2010

DirtRoad2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make sure y'all bring bear spray.
  10. Tike

Tike "I Think I'm Sure"

Oddometer:
    Long time lurker first time post.

Let me start by saying that this adventure is one of the things you go over and over in your head long before you say something out loud especially if you’re in ear shot of someone that may hear you. (Particularly your wife)

I too am planning on a launch date May 21st from Southern Pennsylvania and head for Alaska and ultimately Prudhoe Bay and return in July. I have been planning this ride for over a year. My trip will pass through Yellowstone for a few days and then North. I will be riding solo and hope to maybe meet up with different people along the way for any sections that might workout.

I would like to thank the people on this site for the wealth of information they have provided along the way. I do have a story to tell on how I arrived at the decision to make the trip. I hope to tell this as I complete my ride report along the way.
  11. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving NC May 15th heading to Utah then north to Prudhoe. I will probably be in the Yellowstone area around the 26th or 27th.
  12. bawa

bawa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am leaving Toronto, June 4 - heading up to Prudhoe Bay via the Icefields Parkway and Cassiar Hwy, then D2D and back home via the AlCan. I am riding solo and will likely be fiddling with my route/dates right upto departure day and likely while on the ride.
  13. stkorta

stkorta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning on Leaving Victoria, BC in time for the D2D - thinking about find the South Canol Rd, but nothing set in stone yet. This will be my first trip north so I'll be doing the Dempster first.
  14. Tike

Tike "I Think I'm Sure"

Oddometer:
    I am confident that our paths will cross somewhere throughout this trip. I do not have hard and fast schedule or the strict route to follow, however I have certain places I want to visit and some basic roads I intend to follow. Some of which is the Icefields Parkway, the AlCan, Top Of the World Highway and of course the Dalton Highway. I’m trying to leave some flexibility in my schedule.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sounds great. I'll be riding a WR250R with a white Arai XD4 helmet.
  16. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    Leaving from southeast BC on June 1. Side tripping to sons place in Kitimat then some gravel from Terrace and Nisga'a Hwy to connect with BC 37 the Cassiar South of Meziadin Jct. Good food there and fuel. Then straight shot up 37 to Watson Jct. turning left to Whitehorse. Laying over at the Pioneer Rv campgrnd east of Horse for a lil r and r. Good sites there and fuel also...two dollar showers. Dawson in a days ride and camping south of town at YT campsite.

Anybody riding up from the US via Idaho on #95.. crossing into Canada at Eastport/Kingsgate...will be going by my ranch at the border (Cdn side) ..coffee is always ready.
    shotsprockets and smilin jack like this.
  17. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I planned on going to Alaska last year on my project bike.. but the local shop took 1 month to get to my bike (They knew of my plan and it pissed me off they didn't have the courtesy to tell me they can't get to my bike and have it done on time so I could explore other option). Needless to say things went downhill I missed my opportunity. Probably was a good thing because as it turned out there was more problem with the project bike so I abandoned it and part it out. KLR650 was my first choice but this 2001 F650GS was going for same price as KLR and it had only 10,200 miles so I bought me a beemer in December and did a Fly-N-Ride from NYC. I already had everything I need for the trip so I prepared the bike right away. I'll be doing few known weak point repair in April and do bit of shakedown before I hit the road to Alaska in July, maybe earlier??

Pre-trip preparing done in December:
    [​IMG]
    Russell's seat in January:
    [​IMG]

My route planned so far:
    Day 1- Eastern NC to buddy house in Cincinnati OH
    Day 2- Cincinnati to other buddy house in Moline IL
    Day 3/4- Next buddy in Rapid City, SD so possible tent camp somewhere in middle if I don't Iron Butt it to Rapid City
    From that point, flexible on going to Yellowstone Park, Glacier Park, Going To The Sun road, etc then up north to Alaska.. Prudhoe Bay babe!

Hope to see some of you on the road this summer.. Ride far and safe!
  18. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving May 15 from Asheville. Hope to see ya on the road.
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  19. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I remember started reading your RR then came a forum upgraded and didn't get more update after that. I'll finish reading it maybe tomorrow with coffee. :D Hope to see you on the road too!
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I've got a thread going in the Trip Planning forum titled Tiny Bike to Alaska. If you have any tips please let me know, thanks.