Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I am leaving from Oregon Mid-June heading north to Alaska for an exciting ride. Riding my DR650 and tent camping mostly.

Dave

EDIT: Left June 6th and returned to Oregon July 12th, solo. The DR650 had 79K miles leaving home and had just under 86K getting back home.
    No flats, tip overs or crashes. Mostly tent camped. Aftermarket 4.7 gallon tank worked great. Never ran out of fuel.
    Replaced the front tire in Homer and the drive chain in Whitehorse on the way home. Rear lasted the whole trip and a replacement Shinko 705 has been ordered.
    DR ran strong the whole trip. Averaged 51 mpg going north and haven't figured it for the trip home.
    Did a lot of halibut fishing with my brother for three weeks. He's bringing the fish down this fall after hunting season.
    In 1966 my brother and I rode our Suzuki S-32 150cc 2-stroke bikes to Dawson Creek and home. The DR worked much better this trip.

Dave
  2. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    Hope to see a lot of you at the D2D.

I'll plead guilty to not officially signing up now as life is very fluid and fixing my own unprepared self and then having to cancel later is self-defeating. If I show up, Hey! I made it!

This would be my third trip "way up north." The first trip was extremely over prepared, and the old saw, "No plan survives contact with the enemy," are words to live by.

The second trip had some hard dates built in (read: fly the squeeze to the Great White North - and you better be there to meet the plane damn it!). A lot of stress meeting this goal!

Last year I prepped the bike as best I could, stuffed some cash and credit cards into the pockets and sort of took off for "a few weeks' with a general idea but no hard targets. Best trip of them all! I did the Trans Lab and had a real good ride. Actually, the best ever.

I carry 'some' camping stuff, but rarely use it. Rain, trying to make miles and no longer enamored of waking up on the cold ground are in constant battle with selfishly spending the kid's inheritance on a warm, king-sized bed falling asleep watching the Kardashians after an hour or two at the rail of a nearby saloon.
    John C likes this.
  3. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien Supporter

Oddometer:
    The son and are riding to Alaska, he on the G650GS I'm gifting him and me on the 1200 GSA. We are taking our time and stopping to see family and friends in route. He lives in AK I use to live there for 25 years, it will be nice to get back. Looking forward to the adventure and bonding with the kid again. Safe travels all.
    smilin jack likes this.
  4. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    We may cross paths on the Dalton. I am leaving My Homs, ID after June 1st, headed for Prudhoe Bay. Then it will be side trips to McCarthy, Eagle, and Dawson before riding back south.
    SlimRandy and ZiaThunder like this.
  5. rbrhsv

Oddometer:
    I plan to hit Fairbanks around June 10th and change tires before hading up the Dalton. See you along the way.
  6. rbrhsv

Oddometer:
    I will be riding north thru Glacier/Jasper about the same time. The north to Fairbanks, Prudhoe, Eagle, Dawson and back south to Idaho.
  7. rbrhsv

Oddometer:
    I am getting close to a plan. Will be heading north from Mt. Home, ID about June 3rd. Then to Glacier and Jasper on the way to Fairbanks where I will change tires. Then a week of gravel to Prudhoe Bay, Denali Hwy, McCarthy, Chicken, Eagle, and Dawson. I won't make it to D2D in time so I will wave if I pass you going the other way!
  8. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    I'm Leaving AZ June 5th, 2016 heading to Deadhorse via Dawson City for the D2D. Any one heading up at that time?
  9. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    You may have to change your plan for Glacier to your way back as the Going To The Sun Road generally doesn't open until the beginning of July.
  10. rbrhsv

Oddometer:
    Yes, that will be a last minute call depending on the snow remaining. I can reverse the loop through Alberta and BC either way.
  11. Alex-SHA

Alex-SHA n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

today in 3 weeks, I will fly to Los Angeles with a friend and start a tour from there to Death Valley, Las Vegas, down to the Mexican Border to do the AZBDR, UTBDR, IDBDR, go to Jasper and Banff, through the Yukon and up to Deadhorse/Alaska. I think we will be in Alaska at the end of July and around August. It would be great, to meet some of you and tour together. On the way back to Los Angeles, we will go close to the West coast and see Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco...

Alex
  12. Tike

Tike "I Think I'm Sure"

Oddometer:
    I'm sure we will meet somewhere along the way, our selected routes and timing seem to be fairly close. I do understand that my timing to certain places may be changed due to weather restrictions.

Tike
  13. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
  14. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    ..you probably rode right past my shack in Kingsgate/Eastport...without stopping in for a how Dee do. Or we crossed paths along the road..I was all over Silverton, New Denver, Nakusp and Kaslo and the lakes there last Aug. and part of Sept.
  15. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    A good thing..those speed limits..stay at or below and you have a better chance of seeing/avoiding deer,elk,moose,bears logging trucks and Albertans...all equally dangerous for two wheelers
  16. MtnRider2

MtnRider2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We will be in Alaska the month of August. If you see a white GSA with red crash bars and a crazy amount of lights that would be me!!!!
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  17. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning to leave Atlanta first week of July..Red GS 700, two up...Then we will be riding all the way down to S. America....
    Facebook: AyferOnur Seyahatnamesi
    web page: ayferonurseyahatnamesi.com

We will write in our own language in the web page but there is a translation using bings and we try 3 languages in our FB page....
  18. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Look like our path may cross few times! I'm planning similar route and planning to leave few days after 4th of July for Alaska then down to S. America. Solo on '01 F650GS. Don't know when you plan to cross the gap but I found a good price.. $350 for shared container plus about $30-70 port fee on Panama side then about $200 to get bike out of port in Cartagena. They will let you leave luggage with your bike so you can travel light on plane from Panama City to Medellin/Bogota, whichever you like to go.
  19. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please keep in touch...We still not decided whether taking boat (Stahlratte) / flight or sharing container...But sharing container sounds cheaper and easier...I will definitely consider...do you have any time frame when to reach panama? We want to cross the gap around late October...
  20. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I, too, considered Stahlratte but I spent Stahlratte money on the BMW when I had bike issue that forced me to change bike and postpone my trip to this summer so I had to search for more affordable shipping cost and found one. Late October would be fine with me because my birthday is Oct 21 and I am hoping to be in Colombia around that time to celebrate birthday with friends in Colombia.

Be in touch!