Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Turk34

Turk34 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reaching me via FB. I sent a friend request as well from my personal FB account.

Please keep in touch...
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  2. Bacca

Bacca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Leaving central Ky on June 4th. to attend D2D. Have crossed over at Cardston twice and last time went up thru
    Manitobia. Like Montana route better. Will be camping 95% of the time.
    SlimRandy likes this.
  3. Tike

Tike "I Think I'm Sure"

Oddometer:
    Wow, I just realized that it's less than 8 weeks left before I leave Pennsylvania and head for Alaska on May 21st by way of the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Glacier, Icefields Parkway, Dawson Creek, Liard Hot Spring, Whitehorse, Top of the World Highway, Chicken, TOK, Fairbanks, Prudhoe bay, Denali, Valdez, where ever else I end up, then home. I have about 45 days. This trip has been over a year in the planning and I’m starting to get restless. I have check all of my gear over and over I have one more long weekend scheduled to tryout everything before I leave. I am certain that I have over packed and have way more than I’m ever going to need, as usual. I know everybody has warned me of this however I’m kind of hard headed at times. (I can always ship some stuff home).

I hope to meet a lot of you people along the way. If you see me be sure to stop and say hi. (I will be easy to recognize, I’ll be the on a R1200 GS with too much gear :-)) Just call me Tike.
    bawa and shotsprockets like this.
  4. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to mention that a LOT of folks leaving early this year planning on hitting Glacier National Park, MT on the way North are going to be disappointed when they find out the Going To The Sun Road isn't open early in the season... If you're headed North in the end of May or beginning of June you may want to check the road opening dates... And change your plans...
  5. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

...or wait until July or so.
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on hitting Glacier on my way back south sometime in late July. I'll be passing by on my way north the end of May/first of June.
  7. Tike

Tike "I Think I'm Sure"

Oddometer:
    I may hit Glacier on my way home as well. (I did hear it probably won't be open on my way out West)
  8. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

TRY TO ARRANGE TO RIDE IT EAST TO WEST.......THE TRAFFIC IS A LOT LIGHTER THAT WAY...JUST SAYIN'
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Great much appreciated thanks.
  10. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    It was lighter for me going West as you say, but I double dipped!

I went in the West end about 3pm and the Ranger said there were very few vehicles ahead of me... Took my time, a lot of pics and video, went over to the boat ramp on the East side, turned around and did it again! Loved it both ways and the light changes enough in a few hours so the view is different from the same viewpoints, if that makes any sense...
  11. pman13

pman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @frecks and I are heading up from Detroit on August 1st. Our current plan is to head west to Seattle, then North from there.

Why did so many of you plan your rides in June? We picked August because it is the easiest time to get away from work, but we also thought we'd have the best chance for decent weather.
  12. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    July and August are the wettest months in interior Alaska........ August and September hold that distinction in the Anchorage area...... June is the driest month just about everywhere, but anytime is good time.
  13. ajpjive

ajpjive Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading up from Iowa on June 1st as well. Stopping for 7-10 days in Victoria, BC to present at a conference, then will celebrate wrapping that up by trekking on up. Planning on cruising around, taking my time, and making it back to Iowa by late July. Hope to see some fellow inmates!
    1RelaxedRider likes this.
  14. Hootman

Hootman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving NC 5/28 or so, working my way over to MT, up to Icefields, over to Hyder, then north hitting most of the usual roads and destinations... Dawson, Fairbanks, Deadhorse, Anchorage, Homer, Valdez, maybe McCarthy, Haines, Skagway, Alcan back down. I don't have a time limit but am targeting 35 days. My normal riding buddy backed out and I would really enjoy meeting up with some of you inmates. I see some east coast riders are leaving around the same time, I'll reach out to you all when the time gets closer and see if we can meet up somewhere along the way.
  15. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hi Hootman, I'll be crossing into Canada at Glacier around the 1st of June from NC. Pm me when you get close and I'll let you know where I am. Would be good to have some company also. Cheers.
  16. Hootman

Hootman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will do. IF everything goes according to plan (big if, right?) I could make St Mary's MT by 5/31. The original plan may have already changed. : )
  17. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0470.JPG
    Leaving from Sedro-Woolley for parts up north on or around June 12th with another rider. Looks like you will have no problem finding someone to ride with, lots of riders heading north. Look for this, not many white 2013 Super Tenere on the road.
    RJ44, eemsreno and okanoganJim like this.
  18. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've got a group down here in Alabama (2016 Arctic Bound Bama Bums) that'll be heading NorthWest on July 9th.....5 bikes so far, hoping to keep it no more than 6-7. 2 bikes will be 2-up, my wife will be riding with me.

We're planning 28 days up and back, with stops at several spots, in total it'll be around the 11,000 mile mark.

We, at this time, aren't planning on going all the way to Deadhorse, but we will go as far as Coldfoot/Wiseman, then ride up thru the mountains. That last stretch heading up to Deadhorse looks terrible...nothing to see, and nothing to do once you get there. This will save us a full day, if not more, to do other, more interesting things, on the way back.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cul...be1c46bc579f:0xad8d9fdf24a4247a!1m0!3e0?hl=en
  19. 100cccer

100cccer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Once you get over the pass you only have about 150 miles to go. The Tundra north of the pass is awesome and beautiful. The highlight is to say you have been in the Arctic Ocean. DSC01488.jpg
    smilin jack likes this.