Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSC01466.jpg DSC01468.jpg DSC01469.jpg DSC01466.jpg DSC01469.jpg
    Just some eye candy to show you what you may be missing.
    smilin jack and Al Goodwin like this.
  2. k7tbt

k7tbt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See you on the road, will be leaving NW Washington on 12 June.
    smilin jack likes this.
  3. texas_aggie

texas_aggie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heading out on May 7th from Texas. Seeking riding partner.
    smilin jack likes this.
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  5. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Buddy and I are leaving Augusta on the 10th. Probably see you guys on the road. :wave
  6. Al Goodwin

Al Goodwin Long timer

Oddometer:

Heck Yeah.....Maybe so....we need to be in touch either way.

You have a route yet?
  7. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Most of it... www.kevinstiegler.com. We're trying to keep the route 'non-committal' in case of weather and such.

Anyone carrying though Canada?
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    From what I understand if you carry in Canada and get caught you go to prison and Canada is now the new owner of your bike.
    smilin jack and XXMe like this.
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ultimate consequences of smuggling a handgun into Canada will be determined by a Canadian court, but they will be severe and costly.
  10. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    I'm not smuggling shit. I'm filling out the form and doing it legit. Just curious if anyone else has gone through the process. The form seems simple enough.
  11. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no form that will allow you to bring a handgun into Canada. Long guns and shotguns can be transported through Canada for a fee that is payable at the port of entry.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    If you tell us what kind of gun you want to take into Canada that would clear up a lot of confusion.
  13. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    I personally don't feel the need to carry. My riding buddy would feel better if we had something (I'm on the fence). I have a Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12GA that packs light and meets the legal requirements to transport across. I think a hand gun would be worthless against any aggressive wild life.

Again- how many folks make this trip a year? And how many carry a weapon? I already feel like we're over packing as it is!

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5589-eng.pdf
  14. Tike

Tike "I Think I'm Sure"

Oddometer:
    Well we had a nice weekend in Pennsylvania so I wanted to give my gear another test before I leave. So I headed for western Maryland and West Virginia for the weekend to test my gear. Everything worked well, my tent and cooking gear worked flawless the upper and lower crash bars passed the bark busters worked great the side cases are sturdy and the armor in my riding suit worked. And I can pick the bike up if needed.

With that I’m ready to take off on May 21st. I hope to see everybody along the way. :D

20160416_Look.jpg
    20160416_Bike.jpg
  15. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I ran the dorms in Fairbanks we would have between 300 and 400 riders stay on campus each summer. I do not recall ever knowing that anyone was armed (I'm sure there were some). My guess is that we only had a fraction of the riders that were heading to Deadhorse stay with us, but in my time there I never heard of an instance where being armed would have made a difference to a rider. I'm not against packing and when I lived in Alaska I would sometimes carry when riding, but all in all it is just too much of a PITA.

Many people carry too much crap when the ride north. For instance, carrying tires always seemed silly to me. You can arrange to have any tire you want available in Fairbanks or Anchorage. May cost more, but it is certainly worth the cost to avoid having to deal with tires on a bike. Although it is tough to tell from the people that post on this forum, civilization has pretty much broken thru to most of Alaska.
    jayrock, smilin jack and XXMe like this.
  16. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Yes- I'm trying to go minimal on this. Limit it to the hard cases and a tank bag. I am packing a Phantom 4 drone to get some good video on the ride and that fucker takes the whole right pannier.
  17. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Just stating my personal opinion here... I've only vacationed there 8 times and have a son whose lived up there for 12 years...

Unless said firearm owner is experienced in life threatening situations such as law enforcement or military combat please leave the guns at home and carry bear spray and/or a boat horn, bear poppers, etc.

Learn proper bear protocol and follow it. The bears don't want anything to do with you!

YMMV
  18. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    YOU"RE incorrect. There is a form and it's on the CA website. I know because I've filled it out and sent it in. The firearms has to be longer then 4.25 barrel length.

see this website

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm
  19. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck to ya. Please post a picture of you presenting the handgun to the border agent for inspection. Should be cute.
    Suitcase and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  20. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:

OH YES IT WOULD BE ENTERTAINING...TO SAY THE LEAST