1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    Well I have the permit in hand so I guess you really don't know it all. LOL.
  2. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Permit for what?
  3. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    My glock 40 and when I arrive at the border I then present it and sign in front of the customs officer. See the website and you'll learn something on how non residents transporting restricted firearms. It's good for 60 days again on the website
  4. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    They never read this part. "This information applies only to firearms that are neither restricted nor prohibited, as set out in Part III of the Criminal Code of Canada." Fortunately they only take the gun and and send you back home. You're never going to enter Canada again though.
  5. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    This is my THIRD permit, so I have first hand experience in having it granted. "Prohibited" is anything UNDER 4.1 inches in barrel length. Read form RCMP GRC 5490e
  6. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    You've brought a pistol through Canada to Alaska twice?
  7. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    Yes. AND read form RCMP GRC 5589e

A prohibited firearm is: A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less. A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition. A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length. A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more. An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm. Any firearm prescribed as prohibited. Note: You must not enter Canada with as prohibited.

A restricted firearm is:
    A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm.
    A semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited.
    A rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches).
    Any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

RCMP 5490 / CAFC 679
    • Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Firearms
    • You can also apply by phone, please call 1 800 731-4000.
    Non-residents must obtain an ATT to temporarily import restricted firearms into Canada. For further details see Section A - Personal Information, of this Information Sheet. Prohibited firearms cannot be imported into Canada.
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Color me skeptical. But be sure to post the picture.
  9. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    The rule is must have a cylinder or barrel lock and in a locked box with either ammo locked in a seperate case or in the gun case. I use a pelican double lock case. I fly all over the US with it and also haven't had any problems, YES I know Canada is a different planet. LOL
    WhicheverAnyWayCan likes this.
  10. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    What do you check in box 8 of RCMP GRC 5490e?
  11. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    We can kill this- not carrying a weapon. I had already done the homework and knew I was allowed to carry through Canada- the question was "SHOULD I".
    Although I am very experienced with close firearm combat... I still don't feel the need to carry. My buddy was a little concerned and knew that I am experienced with firearms- so he suggested we (I) carry just as a precaution. I was looking to the forum for someone with experience in this matter since I really didn't want to keep up with a weapon during the trip.

Thank you all for the entertainment of yet another ADVRider Dick Measuring Contest.
    jayrock and XXMe like this.
  12. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    i) Transport to and from a point of exit / entry (round trip) (for restricted firearms and prohibited handguns only)
  13. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    If you are a non-resident, the reason for transporting your restricted firearms into Canada must be selected from Box 8 k), m) or n). If you have another reason for transporting a restricted firearm into Canada, put a check mark in Box 8 o) and provide further details in the space provided.

Wrong.
  14. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    I agree, but I do believe in being correct and not making blanket statements. enuf said
  15. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Lighten up. People are actually learning something useful.
  16. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    well again, as I said I'VE DONE THIS BEFORE. Have you?
  17. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    I agree, adds another to the block list...and it's NOT you...LMAO
  18. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Yes- I learned I'm either good to go OR getting arrested and being sent to Canadian prison :lol3
  19. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... I must be wrong, but I thought that even when the Alaska Troopers work with RCMP the Troopers hand over their Glocks at the border...
  20. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Not that I don't LOVE guns (I love my guns)... Let's talk Gear.... :D

I'm going to do a load-out when I get back this weekend. I'm trying to get everything in the panniers except the tent which will strap to the top case and a medium backpack on the pillion. My top case is nothing more than a home for the Phantom 4 Drone I'm dragging along- so that space is dead to me. I've done a bunch of long range hikes in the most austere conditions- so I packed mostly lightweight, small footprint items most of which I've posted on the blog.

We are doing the RDV Rally May 11th to test the gear and riding down to Key West to officially kick off the Ultimate Coast to Coast Iron Butt Association Mike and Kevin Do Alaska Run on May 29th. :ricky