Who Is Riding To Alaska June 2016?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by rbrhsv, Jan 4, 2016.

1. sunquest2

sunquest2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I will try and beat the mosquitos to the slope!
    leave early mid May for Deadhorse from N. Idaho.
    Just checked on tires and weather with
    Dan Armstrong
    907-457-4259 ADVenture Cycleworks he informed me the weather looks like it is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule checking the FAA web cam for Coldfoot looks like roads are melting
    http://avcams.faa.gov/#loop

why wait till June
  2. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Yeah- I spoke with Dan yesterday and ordered K60s to have ready when I get there. Seems like a good guy. Much more personable than the guys at the BMW dealership there in Fairbanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    I bought a pelican case drone case so I cut down the OEM box to fit into the top case.
    [​IMG]
  4. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are you going to post the video you take with that drone?
  5. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice blog and well put together!

I looked at your travel kit and it's great. I noticed you don't have a Canadian Proof of Liability Insurance card for your bike. You can get one at no charge from your insurance company. It has to be printed on a special paper that your insurer has. You may be asked at the border for the card. If you don't have it then they may not allow you entrance. I learned about the card from other inmates.

Here's what it looks like...

IMG_0142.jpg
  7. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:

I got this response from an officer at the RCMP, Canadian Firearms Program regarding transport of a handgun into Canada. Still does not seem that transporting the weapon to Alaska would meet their requirements for a permit.

In the case of a restricted firearm (a handgun that is not prohibited - more information about Canadian firearm classifications is available at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/index-eng.htm#a3), a valid purpose must be declared for bringing the firearm into Canada (attending an international shooting competition, historical re-enactment, gun show or to go to a gun smith). Possessing a firearm for personal protection is generally NOT accepted as a valid reason for bringing a restricted firearm into Canada, even when travelling through to or from Alaska. If an acceptable purpose cannot be provided, then the restricted firearm cannot be brought into Canada. To confirm whether a purpose will be accepted as valid, please call 1-800-731-4000 and ask to speak to the Chief Firearms Office for the province into which you will enter Canada. An Authorization to Transport the firearm must also be obtained. Please call 1-800-731-4000 for more information on that process, which must be done in advance.

Prohibited firearms are not permitted into Canada for any reason.
  8. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Yeah- I already contacted my insurance company. They will have it ready for June 1st. I can print it off online. Thanks for looking out!
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I asked my insurance carrier if I could print it myself and they advised it has to be on a certain paper with the watermarking like in the photo I posted. Maybe things have changed. It would have been easier for me to just print it but I went with what they said to do.
  10. Hookapelli

Hookapelli casi allí

Oddometer:
    Stickers are ordered :)[​IMG]
    ZiaThunder likes this.
  11. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:

And going the other way ..Canada to US....US Border services do not allow ANY firearm into the US at a Canada US border crossing...even if its just to transport through the US not into the US ... Found that one out a few years ago.
  12. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    To satisfy my own curiosity ... in spite of the varying experiences of inmates here, and since I live at the BC/Idaho border I will visit the Canadian Customs offices and pose the question to my Amigos there..."what if any..hand guns can be in a US citizens possession for the purpose of carrying said hand gun into and through Canada on a persons trip to Alaska, or any other non Canadian destination and if it is possible..what are the requirements?" I will leave out any question regarding other firearms (long guns) as I know that with proper documentation/hunting permits etc. specific types of long guns can be carried into Canada for qualified non citizens.
  13. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    I called my carrier GEICO, and on their website it states that Canada will accept their insurance, they use to haave a special card buit it was discontinued. I guess GEICO is large enough that the CA Govt accepts the regular card. I called and spoke with a "supervisor" and this is what was related to me yesterday.

Direct from GEICO's website:

• Proof of Auto Insurance – In order to provide proof of auto insurance at the border, your standard GEICO insurance ID card will work. Canadian ID cards are not necessary if you're visiting Canada as a tourist.
      If you need new or replacement ID cards, simply log in online and visit the Policy Documents section where you can choose whether you'd like to email, print, or fax a copy. If you haven't registered your policy online yet, you can sign up now.
    • Vehicle Registration – Drivers must also have their vehicle registration on hand at the border. Border officials are always on the lookout for stolen vehicles or people trying to avoid duties on vehicles purchased outside the country, so it is important to make sure you have your vehicle registration with you.
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sounds good.
    Sounds good.
  15. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been in and out of Canada at least 50 times in the past five years and I lived in Canada for a year. never once have I been asked to show proof of insurance.
    rbrhsv likes this.
  16. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    Great to read everyone's Alaska ADV plans. My 14 year old daughter and I depart SLC, UT July 5th headed to Prudhoe Bay, then Anchorage to meet up with the rest of the family
    for a 2 week vacation. Right now the bike of choice is my KTM 1190 ADV-R. Planning to run KTM Tour Cases and Heidenau tires.

KTM1190.JPG
    smilin jack likes this.
  17. VBON

VBON Traveler

Oddometer:
    I totally agree!! I'm in CA about 3 times a year for the last 23 years. Never been asked
  18. 2wheeladv

2wheeladv Lost & lov'n it

Oddometer:
    My solo set up.... Does any Inmate have experience with the KTM Tour Cases?[​IMG]

19. Suitcase

Suitcase 2 wheeled hobo

Oddometer:
    www.pdffiller.com/100360800-679-engpdf-RCMP-GRC-5490e-Application-for-an-Authorization-to-Transport-Restricted-Firearms-and-Prohibited-Firearms-

a link to the online application ..which does contain many options of reasons to transport .... It hinges on the Horsemens' approval. Lots of "valid" reasons for transport that require details of destination..specific dates..names of events..persons or businesses at intended destination ...but nothing to indicate that personal use, safety, or and casual reason will be guaranteed..its jist a blank space on the form ... the decision to issue the permit is soley at the discretion of the RCMP
  20. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    I will look for fellow ADV riders along the way to Deadhorse, and then Eagle, Dawson City, McCarthy, Valdez, etc...
    Leaving Mt Home, ID on June 4th and headed up to Dawson Creek via Jasper. NC700XD.jpg