who makes throttle cables?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by tony v, Oct 8, 2002.

1. tony v

tony v visegrip

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for a lead on somebody who makes after market throttle cables. I put a pair of risers on GXSR and the damd cables are an inch to short. Can ya help a brother out?
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Barnett has everything you need to make them yourself.
    I had to do it when I put mikunis on my BMW and when I discovered that the hand controls for the Goose were unobtanium.

All it takes is silver solder (not resin core), flux and a propane torch.

http://www.barnettclutches.com/pages/cables/cable_guide.html

I got my stuff from a local independant bike shop.
  3. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
  4. jocflier

jocflier Dammit, that hurt... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tony..

Your in the Bay area..contact Motion Pro in San Carlos..

Joc
  5. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Chop, have you ever used stock BMW cables and modified tham to suit??? Thats what I've used and they work really well... I especially like the teflon insert (no lube necessary or wanted). They do cost a little more but they last and since you don't lube them, they're virtually maintanence free... JJ
  6. Sa-tevo

Sa-tevo Jetmechs' Winston Wolf

Oddometer:
    Near the compound of Peachtree City Georgia
    How do you wash out or neutralize the flux in the cable after soldering, to stop it from corroding the cable later on?

Which leads to:

Ta-da

Have your nipples ever fallen off?
  7. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Virtually maintenance free until they fray and get stuck in the cable guide. DAMHIK
  8. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    most modern cables have a teflon insert.

and as for those that aint. lubing takes a couple minutes twice a year.
  9. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Nope. I used resin core once and it broke eventually. I then found out about using silver solder and it works much better.
  10. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy, this is nothing compared to what you can hear on the topic on the Bevelheads (that's old Ducatis for you beemergeeks...real Ducatis for you Beltheads) list.

Silver solder. No, plumber's solder. Torch. No, solder pot. No, iron. No, old iron that you heat with a torch. Don't let the solder wick up the cable. No, use solder liberally so the cable won't flex at the lever joint. No, don't. Use cable pliers. No, use a Dremel cutoff wheel. No, use a grinder. No, use cable pliers cuz a grinder or cutoff will get hot and detemper the cable. No, it will anneal the cable. Fray the end. Don't fray it, bend each strand to 90 degrees with pliers. No, use a hammer. Don't use a hammer, it'll work-harden the cable. Hold the end in a vise. Don't use a vise, you'll squash it. Put a tiny tack in the end before soldering to swedge it. Don't need a swedge. Gotta have a swedge. Bag the soldering, just use a screw-type barrel. A screw-type! That's worse than riding on a plugged tire! Plugged tires are fine. What type of oil is best...oh wait, that's a different thread.

All that said, I'll try to be helpful now. We used brass tubing secured with...ta-daaaah...J-B Weld on the throttle cables of my friend's R69US with Dellorto carbs (round slide...) after failing to get solder to stick to the bloody teflon-coated cable (that's right, the cable). Been working fine for tens of thousands of miles now. Would NOT use it on a brake or clutch cable...but hey, let's hear it for JB Weld and scraps on hand.
  11. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    :thumb

When I do my x-country gig on the old goose, I am taking not only a spare cable but a few screw barrels as well. By virtue of doing so...the cable on the bike will never fail. Sometimes you have to carry a few pounds of PM talismans.
  12. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Amen to that, brother choop. Since I keep a stop-n-go tire plugger kit on my bike at all times, I will never have another flat tire. I also keep a sightglass in the kit, so I'll never have to worry about one blowing out. I also keep a spare key on the bike, so I'll never lose a key again. I hope it works for my firstaid kit too :uhoh
  13. tony v

tony v visegrip

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks alot for the feed-back. I made some calls and found what I needed.