Who Owns A Leatt Neck Brace?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by CJL00, Aug 16, 2011.

1. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    I am about to have some surgery on my neck so will play safe afterwards and get a neck brace. I am looking at the Leatt range and have narrowed it down to either the GPX Club II or GPX Pro.

The Pro looks better as it is lighter and has better ventilation (apparently) but it is significantly dearer, $800 to $500.

Does anyone here own either or has extensively tried both and can let me know if the extra cost is worth it? I do not mind paying more if it can be justified but hate paying more for something that does not matter, like having to pay extra to have graphics on a helmet over a plain one, if they both do the same thing who cares what it looks like.
  2. FNMAN

FNMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear one because I have a herniated disc in my neck due to being hit by a car while on my bycycle years ago. Two weeks ago while on a duel sport ride, I went down on a loose gravel road at about 30 MPH. I landed on my helmet, just above the visor. I believe the reason I did not get hurt (other than bumps and bruises to my legs where they hit the handle bars going over) was the Leatt brace kept my large Irish head from hyper extending.

The buddies who were behind me and saw me go down all said they were going to buy a Leatt brace. They could not believe I was not hurt. One friend said "Good thing your head broke your fall"

I will never ride without it! I feel it is just as or even more important than boots, armored jackets etc.
    :clap
  3. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    I've got the club and have worn it for a few years now. I always wear it in the dirt and I often wear it if I'm going to go push it on my street bike in the twisties. Another added benefit is that I notice a lot less neck fatigue on long rides / trips because the helmet can rest a bit on the brace. I have no neck problems but just thought it was a good idea. It's hard for me to imagine riding without it now. The club has held up well and when it's time I will replace it with the same model. I did try on the pro when I bought mine and couldn't really appreciate a significant difference. YMMV
  4. CJL00

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, can you tell me which brand/model you have? I am really trying yo justify the extra for the Pro and would like some feedback form other owners.

Cheers :freaky
  5. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    had the pro - sold it...... and a club.... sold it.... have an adventure.... love it! :deal
  6. CJL00

Oddometer:
    Thanks to you as well. Can you elaborate on why you sold the Pro and the Club and what is it you like about the Adventure?
  7. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    just the dirt cheap price and fit....the club and pro is too high tech and fancy and found myself constantly adjusting things... the adventure is something I can toss around and not worry to much... 180 bucks versus the 800 of the pro... :deal
  8. CJL00

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, if only the Advernutre was $80, here you can only get the Adventure II and it is $350.00, Club II is $500, Pro $800. I will definately try them all on before purchase.

Thanks again.
  9. Moto4Balance

Moto4Balance Gas Passer

Oddometer:
    I have been riding with the Moto GPX Club model for the last month on both road and dirt.

My motivation for buying the brace was as a physician, I've taken care of one too many motorcyclists with neck injuries in the intensive care unit, usually after being hit by some cager.

I am still trying to get it to work with my jacket collar and spine protector on my pressure suit. The brace tends to shift while riding. Other than that, I have no complaints. One major difference between the Club and Pro is weight. I don't really notice the weight of the brace while wearing it. The Club has more than enough adjustability as well.
  10. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    haha oops!! 180 :lol3

fixd
  11. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Alpinestars carbon BNS to wear with the pressure suit, but honestly have yet to wear it because I am running out of room on my body. When trail riding, between the pressure suit, hydration pack, and a waist tool bag I have yet to wear a neck brace. However, I will say the Alpinestar carbon brace combined with their pressure suit feels comfortable and very light....one of these rides I will add it on to the rest of my armors.

So you guys wear it on the street as well?
  12. FNMAN

FNMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the adventure model.
  13. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the "Club" model.

Saved me from catastrophe last summer when I involuntarily dismounted my F800GS going downhill on a rocky trail. My head hit a ten-ton boulder head-on. I could feel the brace keep my neck in the correct position, as well as absorb the impact of the sudden stop. Didn't even have a headache. The experienced rider behind me thought I was dead.

I don't even notice the weight of the Club model. It is distributed over a fairly large area.

Never regretted buying it for a moment.
  14. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    I wear my Leatt Adventure on the street all the time. Never had an issue.

The higher end models look trick and if/when I eventually get another brace I'll prolly get one of them, but so far I have zero complaints with the Adventure.
  15. jagspeed

jagspeed Open the road

Oddometer:
    Have you made your decision?

I have both (club and pro) and the feeling of weight is not that much different once you get all your riding gear on. Worn both for street (touring) and offroad.
    Does help to rest the back of helmet on long rides if u lean back.
    The price i would say is more for bling factor (as well as a technical weight difference)

Not good for 2 up as the back (which sticks out) sits right at the passenger's neck line so if u hit the brakes it kinda of chokes them.
  16. BaronVonDarrin

BaronVonDarrin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Philadelphia, and at times Western Maryland
    is the adventure as padded as the rest of them? It looks like it has less padding and I am not fond of hard plastics against or ready to rub or jab into my skin.

Found this dude on craigslist: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/2867363347.html. He is selling an adventure II. Wondering if I am not better served picking up a new adventure III or a club III
  17. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    i use the adv 2 no complaints here
  18. BaronVonDarrin

Oddometer:
    cool. I wanna save some cash. haha
  19. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    I tried a lot of neck braces and rode with several models, of which several were Leatt models, and opted to buy the Omega, since it doesn't put the impact stress on the sternum and cervical joints; which is important since I separated my sternum years ago and also have a permanent cervical injury from my racing days, so I can't have more injury in those areas. I've taken several high speed and frontal impact crashes while wearing it on desert races and it definitely saved my neck.

You don't see a lot of them out there if riding in the USA but they are better for some people. Not any cheaper than Leatts though.

http://www.omegabrace.com/

• Most neck braces rest on your shoulders which means that upon impact, the pressure is directed to a small area. Often your collarbone and sternum suffer the brunt during impact. Omega’s innovative shape and adjustable suspension system work together to distribute the force and make the impact much more manageable.
    • Upon impact, the top plate of the brace starts to slow down and reduce the energy. The energy is redirected away from the sternum and spin area.
    • The open-front design allows better airflow and is less restrictive. In fact, Omega reduces the type of throat and neck injuries that can occur with closed collar-style braces.

[​IMG]
  20. BaronVonDarrin

Oddometer:
    Can you wear it over a jacket?

To others:
    http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2934071612.html Adventure brace? Not II, just first one