Who owns this site??

Discussion in 'Ask Baldy, Blame Cannonshot' started by ozmoses, Nov 16, 2018.

1. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    There have been eleventy hundred posts asking and/or speculating,perhaps a direct question will receive a direct answer:

Who,currently, owns advrider.com ??

@Baldy ? @Rudy ? Both? Neither?
    Blue Mule likes this.
  2. Blue Mule

Blue Mule Persistent Slacker

Oddometer:
    isn't it possible to search site/domain ownership or at least registration?
  3. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    I thought a direct question might be more simple/fast/easy and informative given the recent amount of speculation and confusion here.:dunno
    Blue Mule likes this.
  4. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    ozmoses likes this.
  5. larryboy

larryboy Super old.

Oddometer:
    Adblocker owns this place.

:super
    alvincullumyork, Mr. Cob, CSI and 8 others like this.
  6. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Most website owners use a third party registration service that prevents a whois search from revealing ownership information...which is a good thing for the most part.
    Blue Mule likes this.
  7. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE insignificant being...

Oddometer:
    Fuck the pop ups I’m out...
    996DL, DirtMedic and Blue Mule like this.
  8. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Well, nearly a day, and no response from the owner.
    ozmoses likes this.
  9. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Well, I have gone through 17 years of this and it does get pretty exhausting. After engaging in past speculations, I felt like even after I posted, some people suspected nefarious motives and new speculations would eventually arise.

ADVrider has gone through a few stages and is now in its third:

1. I bought a server and maintained it with help from friends and donations from kind inmates. I don't really know how much I invested personally versus how much was offset with donations. As anyone who has watched me operate knows, I didn't pay attention to intellectual property, didn't solicit donations, didn't seek a cut of auctions, was slow to add a PayPal link, etc. It was just a hobby for the love of motorcycling.

2. My wife said I had spent enough on this hobby so SmugMug agreed to host the server. I made the case to them that enough inmates were subscribing that it was worth doing. So they provided ops support, bandwidth, storage, etc. I have no idea if they broke even or lost money on it, we just didn't track it. Donations came to me and I used them for software licenses, Stop Forum Spam payments, anti-spam plugins, donations to some ADV causes (inmates in distress), etc. I gave some to SmugMug to offset what I guessed were their losses and I spent some on me. I bought a very cool helmet with donations, for example.

3. I left SmugMug because I perceived my sons were getting annoyed at me and wanted to run the company. I had to pull ADV out of their data centers and pay for our own ops person, storage, bandwidth, etc. I could have sold the zero-revenue, high-cost thing to a company, but instead I teamed up with Rudy, who had ideas for how to support it with ads and subscriptions. I don't know anything about that. It's just me and Rudy, no companies or investors. The money is coming from his personal pocket and a little from mine. He had to incorporate because now we have business income and expenses and taxes. He's got some savings but he can't keep spending his personal money on this forever.

I could have closed it, it there would be less stalking of my personal life, or perhaps found a company to buy it, but once again I love what I see at the rallies and I love motorcycles. I figured if we have to commercialize it, at least we can do it with a love of stories about Jessee, Cannonshot, gear, etc.
  10. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your reply.

Seems to me,"inmates" are seeking clarity wrt this topic.

If I understand you correctly, ADVrider.com is now a business partnership which you remain a part of as per the highlighted text in your post,above.

This should serve to both inform/educate as well as reduce/prevent idle speculation.
    Callisto224, Bigbob1 and nk14zp like this.
  11. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I have no doubt it gets exhausting (...stalking? yuck...). Somehow, understanding what's behind the curtain just a bit helps a Super Nobody Ordinary member like me.
    MrKiwi, JaxObsessed and Baldy like this.
  12. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:

Don't do that.

You are not a Super Nobody- you are a forum member who,due to recent site changes, had some legitimate questions.

Many did,clearly, which is why I asked the question.

Now there is a definitive answer.
    St_rydr, Callisto224, ACR and 4 others like this.
  13. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    I think I understand your point. Maybe I should have used Super Ordinary...yeah, that's more what I meant. Maybe I've just read too much Murakami recently :deal
  14. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Baldy, you're an amazing and generous person. I can appreciate how exhausting it can be to endure some of the negative remarks, questions, and criticisms that come up from time to time. And now Rudy is in the mix working hard to find a way to keep this thing going for all to enjoy as well. I see a few things behind the scenes so I can more easily appreciate how much of a burden it can be for you guys - especially when you are working so hard to keep it going AND to do what you can to preserve a good experience for the inmates. This extraordinary effort is greatly appreciated by many thousands of people. It would be great if your heard more of that. Sadly, the nature of things is to have to deal with the few negatives or criticisms that are part of the changes we have to work through to be able to continue to enjoy and benefit from the site well into the future. Thanks to you both for your commitment to seeing this through so we can keep going for years to come! Greatly appreciated by a ton of inmates!
    MrKiwi, mnTwin, kwthom and 12 others like this.
  15. Baldy

Oddometer:
    I think business partnership as how Rudy and I operate is a good practical description. Some people may quibble over the legal definition of partnership, I dunno, but honestly I don't know what form of business entity Rudy chose for ADV. As I have for 17 years, I try to keep the complexities of ADV in my life as low as possible by treating it as a hobby.

There are a few things that do get exhausting, like the geezer thread stalkers who find me on LinkedIn, but on the other hand going to the Wisconsin Rally was INCREDIBLE!! They loaned me bikes to ride and gear to wear and we had the most awesome time. Makes everything worthwhile. And damn, those ride reports! And don't even get me talking about my man crush on @Cannonshot . :raabia

[​IMG]
    ferals5, MrKiwi, Callisto224 and 13 others like this.
  16. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Cannonshot. Honestly, I think I've wormed my way into the best job of all of us on ADV. If something goes wrong with moderation, I get to blame you. If people don't like the ads, I get to blame Rudy, if the site goes down, that's Kevin's fault, if the articles aren't interesting then take it out on Paul.

Meanwhile, I get to show up at rallies like Wisconsin and get treated like I'm a rock star. I think your job at ADV is 10x harder than mine and you don't get paid either.
  17. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Anti fascist born and raised. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannonshot changed my life.
    I rode his Continental divide route.
    Due to one of his ride reports, I connected with my FATHER on a new level. I learned that my Father landed on Normandy beach on D-Day.
    He already knows I'm in his debt.
    Boondoggle, Baldy and Sfcootz like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    We've got some excellent volunteers here that work pretty hard to moderate/support the site. Remarkable dedication and commitment. Much of the time and effort that goes into it is invisible to most inmates. These people love the site and are willing suffer some aggravation from time to time to keep it a good experience for the inmates. Some might be surprised by some of the heartfelt discussion that goes on in the background. Sometimes I am amazed by the extensive contributions of these volunteers. Good folks!
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Well, it wasn't my route (a bicycle organization developed the primary path), but I did get to enjoy it and write about some of the things along the way. I'm always happy to hear when something like that encourages other riders to discover it for themselves. That is one of the best features of the site . . . we get to draw from each other's experiences and contributions. I'm so glad you got much more than a great ride out of all that. :thumb
    Baldy and JaxObsessed like this.
  20. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Exactly!

Which is the main reason I asked the question many were/are wondering.

Whatever is happening with ads will, I'm sure,be sorted which takes both time and effort-on a volunteer basis!

It's amazing to me how readily people will raise their pitchforks.

[​IMG]
    Callisto224 likes this.