Who said a F650GS can't go off road?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by soph9, Mar 29, 2010.

1. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Chilliwack has better weather than the lower mainland in BC...not as wet during the usual winter months, great access to great riding and cheaper to love than where we live and more west.
  2. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

for the love of crap can we lose all the doorknobs who get their panties in a bunch about the phrase off road.
  3. soph9

Oddometer:
    :roflyeah I agree!
  4. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    When and where the pavement ends, it's considered "off road"

Good on ya Soph.
  5. soph9

Oddometer:
    also the bike is called an Adventure bike and the Adventure is all about the state of mind. I also think I had fun and my buddy Sheldon called me and said he would take me out anytime. He added he is glad I am getting the K60's cause he said I have "instinct",......need to practice my standing and gear shifting etc.......but I did well for my stock tires and first time out. :freaky
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You'll feel a lot better after you rinse the sand out your vagina.... :eek1

ps, THIS is offroad riding :deal

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j4KZIeUSfJ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j4KZIeUSfJ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  7. soph9

Oddometer:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CLSOFAR%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> smell the testosterone...glad you are comparing apples with apples...also, very impressed with your riding capabilities...did not know my videos would stir up a competition...lemme see....

my bike an Adventurer bike, weighs ummmmmmmmm....450 ish lbs, made for rough roads to see things off tar....exploring and having Kodak moments...your bike to prove you are a man....:lol3 Seriously though, your video has nothing to do with off road exploring....your video shows a competition as to who can ride the roughest terraine the fastest.

My videos show how one can go touring off road with a bike one would not want to dump. :1drink
  8. markymcd

Oddometer:
    Twin Rider, we're all so very impressed with you. We all bow to your superior ability. We are not worthy to share the same web space as you.

Please accept our very humble apologies as to having offending you about the phrase off road. We will have Webster immediately get to work on redefining the phrase and consult you before it is placed in the dictionary.

Once again. Deeply sorry, and as soon as i get the sand out of my vagina I will start building a monument to your greatness.

And everyone, please keep in mind before you post about enjoying your motorcycle that you must first watch his video and be mindful of any unfair comparisons.
  9. markymcd

Oddometer:
    Edit.... sorry, I just watched the video and realized that it is not Twin Rider in the video.

But let us still hail his ability to recognize off road riding even if it's not him. Everything else I take back. :rofl
  10. giodog2000

giodog2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would off-tar be accepted? I'll take off my off-road tkc80 tires until we know for sure ... . I loved that bike when it was a dual , now I'm not so sure anymore. I'm depressed!:tough
  11. F650Dakar_Norway

F650Dakar_Norway What off-season?

Oddometer:
    Nice video & nice friend you got there. And no reason to bother about the off-road versus on-road discussion. I ride all-year on my three bikes and simply define myself as an "allroader" since neither my F650GS Dakar (thumper/winterbike) nor my F800GS are particularly good for true offroad riding outside forest-, dirt roads etc. They're simply too heavy and cumbersome compared to true enduro- or motocross bikes - which are far more safe to ride true offroad style. And my skills are not that great - even after Dakar-rally guru Pal Anders Ullevalseter gave us a good entry-level course in 2006 on a mountain-ride course.

As you said, adventure is what it's all about. Here in Norway, strict laws forbid true offroading outside race tracks, but some dirt-riding people still use the term "offroad" on all off-tarmac/off-pavement riding - simply because the term is laden with that elusive adventure-feeling :1drink

But heck, your video is an excellent heads-up and your effort is good and honest. Ride more and have fun. That's what it's all about. The term "offroad" just adds that adventure feeling - even though I stick to the legal tractor tracks and dirt-roads. :beer
  12. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    Yes, the F800 can go off-pavement. Not always like you intend though :deal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aK3XzH5rlXU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aK3XzH5rlXU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
  13. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    I see you got a good job: Crashbar tester :lol3.

A beje.:wink:
  14. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    I have beat the shit out of this bike. It just keeps on running and going. I would buy another one, in spite of its "flaws", in a heartbeat.

Here's an unedited sample of my skills on-road. I'm no better on pavement :rofl :huh :lol3
    <object width="720" height="477"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=8397643&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=8397643&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="720" height="477"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/8397643">Crash Test Dummy</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1957127">Arno Jones</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  15. soph9

Oddometer:
    what did you hit? Gravel? Man....glad you were OK...but you were not kidding about beating the bleep out of your bike!
  16. soph9

Oddometer:
    BTW....

We just got back from a fantastic trip down the Oregon coast....we hit every bit of weather...hurricane force winds, snow, hail, pouring rain, some sun, many "pavement ends" signs/roads, gravel, mud terrain, uneven road ways, views, curves, twisties in general.....AWESOME trip and OMG....this bike does it all and handles like a charm. We even were able to ride our stock seats for hours with some butt aches but over all tolerable. Pics and video to come.

I just wanted to report that we had a large Wolfman dry duffle (GREAT addition and stays DRY) on the bikes, Wolfman Ranier tank bag, and our Jesse luggage...although not totally loaded down the 650 never once gave up while we went into mountain passes, had tons of passing power no matter what gear, brakes work perfectly and we had to use them many times for quick stops, bike was well balanced thanks to our great packing....[​IMG] and as for the "off pavement", rode miles of very wet muddy and deep gravel roads. Again our stock tires did well but can not wait to get our K60's because we are obviously going off tar more than we ever thought. Confidence building with each trip off the pavement and seriously just loving where this bike is taking us!

Stopped at Touratech Seattle on the way home and bought a Zumo 660 mount for one of our bikes...so, we are getting the 660 and forgoing the satellite concept...just waiting to see if the price comes down after the 665 comes out! Very happy riders here!
  17. fuhgawee

fuhgawee Thats a road?

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thanks for sharing.

See how the K60 work but if you're riding alot more dirt I would recommend a tire with knobbies, TKC / Scorpion / d606. World of difference over a dual sport tire.
  18. Scapadu

Scapadu Motomaniac

Oddometer:
    Sure this is less fun on pavement! Hopefully you were safe!
  19. soph9

Oddometer:
    heading out again this morning for another little trip...this time from Maple Ridge, BC to Port Townsend, WA....to Port Angeles, to Victoria, BC to Tofino, BC and back home on Sunday. Pics and hopefully video from both our trips this week later.! Weather is supposed to be nothing but SUN!
  20. markymcd

Oddometer:
    I want your job whatever it is!