Who saw this coming... CRF450L

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Leget, May 23, 2018.

1. Honda_Power

Honda_Power I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    All I got from that is that you are too lazy to change your own oil. Cool story bro.

What's going on here? A serious Gronk post!?!?
  2. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    I called the local Honda dealer and they not only had one but it was a demo bike so I went and rode it.

Sean :-)
  3. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    alvincullumyork, Dirtleg and GR0NK like this.
  4. Honda_Power

Honda_Power I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Says the closet Honda fanboy.
    jonnyc21 and Dirtleg like this.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect a lot of people who swung orange are now a little bi-curious about the red one. I certainly want to ride that Honda.

Power sounds softer than I like. But Gronk thinks a 950SE is a dirt bike. So, his OMFG meter could be calibrated differently.
  6. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Wont happen again for a long while.:lol3
    jonnyc21, GR0NK and alvincullumyork like this.
  7. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    We used to lure a fellow operator out into the plant in a rush leaving his e-mail open to tampering , maybe this was the case . :type
  8. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Eyez bin hacked! :p3rry

Sean :lol3
  9. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I noticed that on the one I rode. But from 60-75mph it went away and was very, very smooth. There's definitely something going on around 50mph where you can feel a bit of buzz, but it's still smoother than any other single I've ridden.
  10. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    So how's the headlight?
    MalleeFarmer likes this.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    _20181002_124113.JPG
  12. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Looked at a 450L and a 500EXC side by side today at a dealer. Just leaning both over to get a sense of weight, the KTM felt much lighter.

Big difference in the sub frame and side stands of both bikes. The Honda was much more substantial. Couldn’t budge the rear fender on the Honda but the rear fender on the KTM was soft and could easily be bent down.

The 450L felt much more like a serious dual sport where the 500EXC felt like a plated dirt bike.

Still waiting to here how the Honda runs above 9,000 ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MalleeFarmer and Cruz like this.
  13. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    Also, leaned a new WR450F over and it felt about the same weight as the 450L. The 2005 WR450F I owned felt heavier than the 2012 500EXC I used to own.

I think KTM/Husky will remain the lightest street legal dirt bike you can buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    This reminds me of sitting on my old Gas Gas waiting to start a trail ride looking at a guy on an old XR sitting on his bike with his feet on the pegs and the kickstand down.

I said something to the two guys I was with about not being able to do that, then they both stood up on there pegs with there kick stands down and repeatedly asked me what I was on about...

They were on WR450F's if I tried that on any of the Euro bikes I have had the stand would have folded before I got my second foot of the ground.:lol3
  15. Xiola_Blue

Xiola_Blue You Can Build Your Muscles Picking Strawberries...

Oddometer:
    I have been worried about that metal monster of a tail/light assembly on the L. I don't want that. One loop up a steep rocky hill and it will be a mangled mess! It wouldn't last a week with the way I'd be riding it. The fender and plate assembly need to be as pliable as possible. Now most everyone I know replace the stock garbage with an "eliminator" of sorts so it probably doesn't matter what it comes with stock. I did a big DS ride in Geneseo this past weekend. 90% KTMs. I only saw only a handful of bikes out of at least a hundred with stock light assemblies. Knowing how gnarly the track was I knew some would get ripped off. If I would have had my stocker on it would have been riding shotgun in my backpack after the first "hero" section.
    :muutt
  16. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Baja Designs has one for the X. I'm not sure if it would fit the L. But that says BD will likely have one for it should they sell well. Budget another hundred.

But I did the same thing to my 525 to replace the incandescent light and give it a proper ass tuck. Then added non-flashing Hyperlites for good measure.

A universal one might also work with a little creativity. I have had good success butchering Tusk universals to fit.
    Dirtleg, jonnyc21 and GR0NK like this.
  17. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...I just saw this video a couple days ago and you guys have been talking about it for half a month. Don't really believe his explanation of what happened, more like he wanted to show off and do a wheelie and it got out of hand, or he's a crap rider.
  18. Vincenthdfan

Vincenthdfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are correct on both counts!
    Dirtleg and alvincullumyork like this.
  19. Dolphins

Dolphins n00b

Oddometer:

I want to hear more about this "derestricted kit". I can't find anything for these bikes, and I was under the impression they were super locked as of now.
    Would love to be able to open the exhaust up a little bit.

So far I love the bike. I got it yesterday and ran through two tanks of gas. On road and off road. It rides like a dream.
    Didn't get a chance to dial in the suspension off-road at all yet, but it was very sure footed. It roosted easily in a good way, but the overall suspension felt very stiff. With less than 20 miles on it at the time though that is to be expected form new suspension.

It's a dirt bike. I would compare it to a KTM, but it seems better put together overall.
    I am coming from many dirt bikes and street bikes and the bike has plenty of power. I have a 701, an Alta supermoto, I sold a wr450f recently and I traded a Street triple in for the 450L. I have no regrets. Coming from many bikes that have gobs of torque and power: I don't feel like I'm missing anything until after 3rd gear and 50mph. After that It could use an uncorking.

The bike is awesome. Nothing like having a dirt bike I can get full coverage insurance on, and getting the street triple off of my insurance is a huge blessing.
    MalleeFarmer and jonnyc21 like this.
  20. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    If you watch the complete video he does the right thing and explains it was his fault about the 10 minute mark. I think he's more than a decent rider and he rides a Husky TE300. I have a 2017 TE300 and a 2005 450X. Both are great bikes but they have very power characteristics. I think my 450 has an incredible amount of power for a stock bike. My guess is he wasn't expecting so much power from a mild sounding machine and he kinda says that in the video.