Who saw this coming... CRF450L

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Leget, May 23, 2018.

1. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you really think the oil is destroyed in that time? Unless it's thinned out by fuel or excessive dirt or coolant and it's not overheated constantly, seems it should last till 1500 miles. :dunno
    Adanac rider likes this.
  2. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did watch his video. Watched some of his videos about the homestead and was surprised when he got the 300 since it didn't seem to be a bike that he would want.
    Emgo likes this.
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Just because a guy has a 300, doesn't make him a good rider. Different power characteristics is not an excuse for riding like a beater and whiskey-throttling into a bunch of other 'influencers.'
    alvincullumyork likes this.
  4. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    Sorry, didn't mean that riding a 300 made him a good rider, just pointing out that the Honda makes a surprising amount of power, especially for someone coming off a quick revving 2 stroke.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  5. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Wait, did you actually ride the bike? :scratch

Sean :dunno
    Dirtleg, jasonmt and alvincullumyork like this.
  6. Emgo

Emgo Started on a CT70 almost 50 years ago

Oddometer:
    Just gettin myself in deeper, I mean my 2005 450x has a surprising amount of power for a stock bike. I have not ridden a 450L but I would think (which I shouldn't do) that a 14 year newer fuel injected bike with a similar engine should be in the ball park of an old CRF450X as far as power goes. Sorry for the confusion, wish I had been drinking then I would a have an excuse.
  7. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    No worries, I'm just bustin' your chops. :beer
    The bike doesn't really have the low-end snap that any of the other 450s have but the throttle response is rather abrupt. The first 10% is basically an on/off switch. So yeah I can see how a novice rider might whiskey-throttle it into a gaggle of unsuspecting journalists in the parking lot. :lol3
    But it's only like that in 1st gear which is decently low for off-road. In the higher gears that herky jerky feeling disappears and the bike behaves better. It will loft the front wheel in 2nd without the clutch but 3rd will need a healthy tug on the bars to do that.

Sean :-)
    Dirtleg, alvincullumyork and Emgo like this.
  8. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe he said that he wasn’t used to riding a bike with a typical clutch — his had been modified and he’d ridden that way for years. Should have checked out the Honda’s controls/operation before launch. . .. :muutt
    BobcatSig likes this.
  9. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Considering every single owner who has put more then a couple 100 miles already has a golden tinged muffler and a completely BLUE header lets me know everything i need to know. TOO HOT i wouldn't even do highway miles on one until that is fixed. No different then the 17-19 500's. (Except the 500 stock doesn't have the extreme CHT's like this new 450L)

That oil change interval is not due to contamination but due to thermal breakdown, it will be interesting to see the life of these engines on guys keeping them bonestock with elongated oil change intervals kerrboooom
    BobcatSig likes this.
  10. firephoto

firephoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So cats run at 1200 F or better. High chromium stainless like 304 blues dark at 1100-1200 F. The header is magnetic so it's not high chromium stainless, probably 409 as stated elsewhere, and it's not polished thus bluing at a lower temperature than the 304 so we have EGT in excess of 850F if we split the distance on non stainless steel and 304. Last I checked it wasn't a diesel or a 2-stroke and it's liquid cooled but I guess we'll have to wait and see who drains the first burnt black oil because of these "extreme CHT's" that you've presumed from the color of a piece of cheap stainless steel.
    jonnyc21 and jdubb75 like this.
  11. bunker

bunker welltheresyerproblem

Oddometer:
    This is the video review we've all been waiting for. Definitely haven't seen a more thorough evaluation even on his first day.

12. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you really think the oil is destroyed in that time? Unless it's thinned out by fuel or excessive dirt or coolant and it's not overheated constantly, seems it should last till 1500 miles. :dunno[/QUOTE]

Gents, it’s not about the color of the oil or header. The oil change is about all of the little steel burrs that have worn off of the gears and shift forks, gasket material and particals of sealer that are floating around in the oil. Yes the filter will stop most of them buy why not give it a little help. You will probably never drain more crap out of your engine, unless you blow it up, than at the first oil change
  13. MalleeFarmer

MalleeFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is why most vehicles. Bikes and cars generally have a very short initial oil change. I always do a short stint and change the oil, even if the manual doesn't call for it. The thing is I don't think that is what is being discussed here. I think they're discussing regular change intervals and the effect of the heat generated by modern lean running emmissions compliant 4 strokes. They make fair points about the heat but I'd be sceptical that the oil would get to a significantly high temperature so as to seriously accelerate the degradation of the oil beyond any other high performance Dirt Bike. Though I have been wrong before.

Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Romy

Romy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video and thank you for your real-world perspective. I remain on the fence, not too keen on spending $11K then having to spend more mod the bike. I like modding to personalize. I can't deduct points for having to put on a bigger tank and handguards but it sounds like FI controller, exhaust and emissions delete is needed to make it run right. You seem to be more flexible/patient than I would be. After spending that kind of money I'd be extremely unhappy about surging idle, stalling & flameouts (all of which others posters have mentioned). Hopefully these are just new-model glitches that can be fixed with a new program.
  15. bunker

bunker welltheresyerproblem

Oddometer:
    BTW not my video. Found it on YouTube. Was just sharing.
  16. NEPA 450x

NEPA 450x Still riding after all these years, Supporter

Oddometer:
    Getting new skins,maybe 1 tooth up on frt,I'll see what I do to it till rain slows down,

Attached Files:

Regolith likes this.
  17. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
  18. NEPA 450x

Oddometer:
    D
    Dam,no rim lock,I got a used one,,but I'll wait,,maybe to hard to bal.
    Anyone no if the pile of 08 sprockets work?

Attached Files:

19. Regolith

Regolith Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like rims are drilled for a rimlock? 20181015_133840.jpg 20181015_133859.jpg

I'm wondering what gear will fit on the front, are you going to give the older gears a try? Room For a 15t or 16t?
  20. NEPA 450x

Oddometer: