1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Who saw this coming... CRF450L

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Leget, May 23, 2018.

1. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    simmons1, Brtp4, jonnyc21 and 2 others like this.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tires aren't difficult to balance with rim locks. Not even the monstrously heavy rear one on my 525. Just forget about Internet nonsense like fishing weights, heavy solder wrap, etc.

Buy a reusable spoke weight kit like No-mar sells and be prepared to throw a couple of two ounce weights on it. Do it once and fine adjustments for a new tire and/or tube are done with smaller weights.
    Dirtleg and Regolith like this.
  3. skibootdog

skibootdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. skibootdog

skibootdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2017 vw gti 1st oil change 10,000 miles
  5. NEPA 450x

NEPA 450x Still riding after all these years, Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the motion pro light weight rim locks and I'll use 2,3 oz of Counteract bal beads in each tire,
    Also if you dyno with new chain and ktm had a broke in one, that's about 2 rwhp,,
    How many miles on each???
    Sorry if my words are misspelled, my little finger is an 11,and other fingers are huge from being a mechanic 54 years,I joke that that my finger size is 1/2,9/16,5/8,3/4,,and there hooked to a 13 lb sledge,,lol even at 12 my hands were bigger than my arms,,lol

Attached Files:

6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a MP lightweight on the front. I haven't gotten around to replacing the rear.

I put several thousand miles and several years on the same spoke weights sharing them between my 525 and 640. They are a bit pricey but you only buy them once. The 12 piece kit has been enough to do both wheels even with the crazy heavy stock rear lock.
  7. NEPA 450x

NEPA 450x Still riding after all these years, Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could we see the tq differents?
    Tq will pass more things racing than hp,, Daytona,Road America don't count,lol
    Tq gets u off corner from apex out faster than hp,hp carries u on top end,,than the guy with tq get under you on entrance,and gets under u off apex of corner,,,and it all starts over again,,next corner.
    King of Beers likes this.
  8. King of Beers

King of Beers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put in a 2nd rim lock to counterweight the first one, them balance with weights.
  10. King of Beers

Oddometer:

If this holds true across the board for 2019 Dual Sport Shootouts, I will almost certainly be riding a 450L in the not too distant future. I believe the weight will pare down nicely as well. Where are the professional comparisons?!?! I know they are coming. I'm just impatient.:baldy

I'll happily ride a red KTM with extended service intervals and better road manners!
  11. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    HP=torque x RPM / 5252
    If the KTM beats the CRF so badly everywhere on the HP curve, it’s torque curve advantage will look absolutely murderous.
  12. King of Beers

Oddometer:

The peak horsepower numbers are pretty close. I would say this particular graph would be a win for Honda considering all of the reported 42hp CRF versus the 63hp KTM.

Sure the KTM makes more power at a given rpm, It's also a 500. You have to rev the 450 Honda out to make the power. This is to be expected.

I'm not arguing that the KTM does not have more useable power, more torque or will be able to beat the Honda in a straight line drag race in stock form, things just may be a bit closer than what all the noise has been leading us to believe.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  13. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM 450 makes the same peak HP as the 500 (39 stock, 51 uncorked). Not sure who's reporting a 62hp KTM (nobody I've ever seen), but 51hp is proven (at the wheel, which is maybe 60hp at the crank).
  14. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Well, ktm also has a 450 - would be fair to compare the honda with that one.
    And then we don't have to listen to any "but the ktm has a larger displacement" stuff after it walks all over the 450L :lol3
    alvincullumyork and Cuttlefish like this.
  15. King of Beers

Oddometer:
  16. King of Beers

Oddometer:

Haters gotta hate... I guess...
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  17. thejrod

thejrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    King of Beers likes this.
  18. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

You're misreading me, I don't mind one way or another.
    Pretty sure the ktm will come out on top - but a few hp/nm up/down doesn't mean much for dualsport "rideability".
    Stuntdude likes this.
  19. Kaaden

Kaaden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    High 50's with free-flowing exhaust + airbox flapper delete and a tuned ECU/Vortex/JD Tuner This has been standard knowledge since 2017 Models came out.
  20. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I want to see the difference once they are uncorked.
    Stuntdude and King of Beers like this.