Who started riding after age 30

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Shoganai, May 23, 2005.

1. t6pilot

t6pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry hit wrong button got back into riding at 58 now 62 loving my new 1200gs leaving next week on another 2500mile ride though sierras and northern California
  2. EvilRoySlade

EvilRoySlade Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Learned to ride in illinois motorcycle class, got my license and 06 F650GS bike after my 66th birthday. Ist time ever on a motorcycle. Three years and 50,000 miles later after a lot of offroad and my around the world ride I've downsized to a 2000 Kawasaki Super Sherpa and plan to be a minimalist traveller..
  3. TracePete

TracePete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1. I'm 41 and just started riding a month ago after taking the MSF. After lusting after motorcycles for years, a relative sold me a "67 dream that supposedly would run... but it didnt. After a month of working on it and realizing it may take me a year to get it going I bought ..
    2. 2009 Suzuki TU250x. I bought it because of its classic looks and small engine so I can learn to ride safely ( I commute to work in a small town) and work up to a larger bike.
    3. After an hour on the bike I definitely wish I had started earlier. However, I'm probably safer now than I would have been had I started riding when I was younger and dumber.
    4. Still on my first bike, might get something bigger in a year.
  4. Hiram Walker

Hiram Walker Commuter

Oddometer:
    I began riding at age 39.
    I took a couple of dirt lessons with my kids.
    I bought an 05 KTM Adventure 950 on ebay.
    Took a street lesson and got my license.
    As the big bike was off loaded I was pretty intimidated and scared of it. But I couldn't let my wife or kids know.
    1st attempt to ride it I dropped it in front of my kids on a small paved hill that is our driveway.
    At first I avoided the freeways. Until I rode up to Long Beach from the San Diego area, and got to a point where I had to get on a freeway if I was going to actually get to where I was going.
    I'm 43 now, and ride it a few hundred miles a week. 99.9% pavement. I want to become a better dirt rider so my 2nd bike is a KTM 450 MXC. I am a novice in the dirt though, I just don't get out to the desert enough.
  5. BudCAD

BudCAD Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I was 32. My father was 57 when he had a brain hemorrhage and passed away. Started riding to spend time with my younger brother who had always ridden. Got him to take the MSF course with me. He found me an '81 Yamaha Maxim. Didn't take long to get hooked. I put 9,000 miles on that and started commuting 40 miles one way. Bought a new '03 Nighthawk, put about 16k on that, then bought a '05 V-Strom, hit a deer at 45, bought a KLR to keep me riding while we fixed the V-Strom.

The V-Strom has around 54k on it now. Time to start looking for a new one.

I'm actually glad I started late. Had I been younger I may have developed some bad habits. Having a daughter made me take it way more seriously.
  6. 211mike

211mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took the Motorcyle Riders Safety course last summer, August IIRC... at 41. Purchased a 2007 Honda Shadow 2 weeks later and have been asking myself why I waited so long to do it.

Wife was pretty pissed, actually did not talk to me for about 3 months...not sure it that is bad or not :D

On a side note, my Father-in-law is a coroner (spelling?) and sold his bike 2 years ago after being called to one to many accidents where "car pulled in front of motorcylce". I think I have convinced him to buy another one this spring, we will see.
  7. SoSlow

SoSlow Having fun

Oddometer:
    I was 33... it was something I'd wanted to do for a while, my wife was very supportive of the whole thing.

2. First bike was a 2009 KLR650

3. I wish I'd started riding earlier but I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

4. Still happily riding the KLR and really enjoying it. No plans to get a different or additional bike.
  8. BudCAD

BudCAD Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I had a 2007 KLR650 for a while after I hit a deer with my V-Strom. I miss that thing, great bike.
  9. gozirra

gozirra Spam?

Oddometer:
    At 31, or about a month ago to be exact. (riding from not b-day)
    Had some early test run-ins with motorcycles, parent units never approved. (friends had random assortment)
    Through teen years and university had a few jaunts on some bikes and was allowed to ride some very nice machines at garage speed. (under 15mph)
    After university got into auto racing as a hobby, then business, then got burned out and walked away.

And then the big moment was bored in cube world deciding I needed something to do - MSF it was. (Dec. 2011)

Passed, licensed, etc, in process of grabbing top shelf gear (came from rally racing, safety is never a question) and maybe will start looking for a bike to start enjoying. (i would like to state early I hate the ADV site, like web crack!):D

lurker now having to post.
  10. jamajo

jamajo third wheel

Oddometer:
    At age 35.

After getting rid of 220 pounds of ugly fat (ex-husband), took MSF class, and got a 1987 TW.

It was the perfect time for me to start riding, although I didn't ride a ton until about four years ago.

I now have a newer TW, a scooter, a GS, a Softail and a Spyder. I love them all, but don't ride the Softail much.
  11. SRanger331

SRanger331 stuff Supporter

Oddometer:
    31. Took the MSF coarse the last weekend of May 2011.

I had a chance to take the test back in '98. My friends brother had a YSR 50 and offered to show us how to pass the test. The weekend he choose also happened to be when I was supposed to take my college placement tests. My parents gave me a choice, take the CP tests, or get the M endorsement and be disowned. I took the CP tests.

I've been meaning to get my endorsement since then. Even started working on getting my dads old bike running twice. But procrastination always got the best of me.

Then last April 16 my best friend since we were 5 killed himself, his wife, and three kids. My mid-life crisis began then, fuck waiting until your old. I was to late to find s state sponsored class, but in my search for a new bike found a dealer that had the class and took it the next available time.

I was looking to find a new Kawasaki Ninja 250 or Hyosung GT250R. As I calmed down a bit, I realised I couldn't afford a new bike. That left dads 1973 BMW R60/5. Looking at the title it was last plated in 1984, the last I remember hearing it run was 88/89. I brought it to my garage and got it running again. It had 10832 miles on it when I got plates for it July 29th and it now has 14509. It now sits in my kitchen getting a very thourogh cleaning and some updates. Depending on the weather I should have it back out by the end of March, beginning of April.
  12. killurtv

killurtv free range moron

Oddometer:
    I was 46 years old. I have raced mountain bikes for 20 years though, so the transition was not too bad. Of course I bought an easy bike to learn on, 07 990 Adventure!!!:lol3:lol3
  13. Scooterholic

Scooterholic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was 41 when I decided to get a scooter to commute to work on, and found out that I love riding. That winter I got my ZX7 bike in a box from a friend and spent the rest of the winter putting her back together. I am now 43 and love the Reflex and the Ninja as each has it's own unique ride that puts a smile on my face no mater how bad a day it's been.:clap
  14. Connito

Connito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Born in Bulgaria. Stuck in Boston, for now...
    I was 37. No experience, besides a friends 50cc street bike which I would ride for less than an hour once a month or so and that was almost 20 years ago . So three years ago I got a Yamaha Virago 700cc. Easy to ride (low to the ground), with enough power. I thought I will be riding this forever. That is until I saw and heard a 1972 CB750. I sold the Virago and bought a CB750. Then Kawasaki Concours, then CB175 then Ural, then Versys... I see a dual sport in my future.

Cheers to all and ride safe!
    Pete
  15. wbudi

wbudi n00b

Oddometer:
    Took the MSF classand started to look for a bike. Bought aTriumph Tiger.A little heavy for the first bike. After a few practice ride and a week later, felt really compfortable on a bikenow. Nothing like jumping with both feet. Definitely a good advise is to find a smaller bike that's not so tall. Easier to handle and learn on. But having a blast now.
  16. Archer13

Archer13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1.Started at 48, Mom was not the problem, the wife finally said I could....:bueller
    2.Started and still have a V-Star 950 tourer. Bought new, should have bought a used bike and then moved up.
    3.Feel fine for starting late, wish I started earlier :dhorse
    4.Still working on the V-Star, 5000+ miles in about a year and half.
    Bought a lot of add ons and can't afford a different one now.
  17. ShardPhoenix

ShardPhoenix Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer:
    I started just after turning 30. Took the Team Oregon BRC a couple days after my birthday last July. Got a bike in October, a Suzuki S40. Don't know when/how long it'll be until I "progress" to a different bike. It'll probably be a couple of years simply because of financial constraints.

How do I feel about starting so late? Pretty good, actually. Wish I had started riding sooner, but we all know the saying about wishing in one hand and pissing in the other. The motorcycle bug had been planted in me at a young age, around 5, when I rode a friends 50cc minibike. Throw in some occasional dirt bike and scooter riding over my young years, and well it was no surprise that I eventually manifested in the desire to actually start riding all the time. I rode so little earlier in life I can't count it as experience. Riding was a good choice. I actually like to leave the house to go places because I get a smile every time I ride. It's fun, unlike driving the cage which I was exceptionally tired of. If it weren't for fact I actually use my pickup truck for it's intended purposes etc, I'd sell it and go bike only.
  18. 3990

3990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well i restarted riding at 41.

Hadnt owned a bike since i was about 27
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    All that wasted time!
    I started sometime around 14, and stuck with it.
    At 54, I keep thinking my days are numbered (even if it might be a big number) and think about riding as much as I can get away with.

Part of the fun is gone as my night vision is poor, and riding at night used to be great fun street or dirt (no traffic), things hurt on long rides, bones break easy limiting how crazy I can get.

The older I get, the more riding seems to be an obsession, its almost all I think about.
  20. King_Troll68

King_Troll68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took the motorcycle safety riding course at about 27 or 28 but i never had or been around motorcycles in my life, i finally bought a bike at 30 and rode it at 31(first bike). Time and money were the factors for me as i had to pay for school and getting into my career in my twenties so bike just wern't an option then.