Who Tears Down and Rebuilds Their Twin Engines?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Reaver, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    The Parallel Twin is a fairly new engine. Most owners would scrap the bike if the engine was worn out or blown. I've rebuilt 2 engines now and have a spare transmission laying around, pistons and cylinder heads etc. I don't think these parts have much value because very few would ever need them. On Ebay, there's a bunch of wreckers who tore down good engines and are trying to sell the parts for a small fortune.

So I was wondering. Who here has removed their engine for extensive work? Any tips or tricks to make it easier? Should I plant flowers in perfectly good cylinder bores?
  2. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many miles where on those engines that needed to be rebuilt and what was the reason for the rebuild? I'm approaching 50,000 miles on my 09. I'm planning on keeping it for quite some time. I've only had the engine opened up a few times, two valve clearance checks and stator replacement. Dieselboy had over 123,000 on his here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828567

I'm hoping for a minimum of 100,000 miles before the engine needs major work.
  3. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided it was time at 75k kms to put a timing chain and related components into mine but used the master link method rather than pulling and splitting the motor.
    If I keep it long enough to rebuild it I'd likely use new parts in the wear areas anyways. From what I've seen in images around here they appear to be built quite robust.
    The next few years will be telling as more bikes roll past the 100k barrier. Pretty hard to say at this point. What's the engine longevity like in the S bike version?
  4. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    Yes, I followed Dieselboy till he wrecked it and moved on. Changing a timing chain is sooooo much work. Whenever you disturb an engine like pulling the crank you reduce it's life and introduce a lot of doubt IMHO. A master link chain is the way to go.

One of my engines was externally damaged and the other one was an Ebay twat trying to sell individual components. That tactic may work on other bikes but few of us rich Motorrad types care to go there so there's no market. I bought the basket and all real cheap after he gave up. 7K miles so I scored a deal for a new clutch, stator and water pump with the rest as gravy. Ended up assembling it after I bought another wrecked bike.

I don't think I'll do it again. As these models age, more spare engines surface. I've passed on a few good deals and know of 2 that are available right now. I'd rather buy a used engine complete and swap it out. Between the cost of gaskets, bolts and whatever is worn, plus the measuring tools required.....just buy another one.

I thought there'd be lurkers who are busy building and not posting. Anyone?