Who uses Rever?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Toddv, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just playing with Rever online and it looks pretty good but to get full features it's like 50 bucks a year. I don't have a problem with paying for something that works well. Also looks like they are tied in with Butler maps and apparently have even more road info than the maps contain and different layers as well.
  2. becsta

becsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used rever to track my rides on my recent trip around UK & Ireland. I haven't used it for navigation as I had a GPS. I am planning on changing to a phone for my bike and will give Rever a try for navigation.
    Toddv likes this.
  3. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a multi-day, mixed surface trip where I used several technologies side-by-side.
    Garmin Montana, Android phone and a tablet (in the evenings, not on the bike).

I have many years of experience riding and navigating offroad by GPS.

The Garmin Montana is a fine GPS. I have it mounted to dash and hard-wired to the bike. Very convenient not having to worry about charging it. However, I was often navigating on the fly, changing plans, calling audibles... When following pre-loaded tracks, it was good, but not nearly as convenient and useful as the phone. The Garmin does have one advantage in the ability to use the touch screen with gloves.

On the phone, I was experimnenting with GAIA GPS app and Rever. GAIA is a solid GPS app. Probably my favorite, but in the end, it was still not as easy and convenient as the Rever App.

As for Rever. It was so easy to use on the fly and follow routes. It was also super easy to call an audible, pull over, make a few clicks on the side of the trail and create an entirely new route in minutes. Offroad, following Forest Service routes, was not an issue. Moving in and out of cell service also appeared to be seamless, although if you were entirely out of service you'd have some issue loading maps at some point.
    With the Rever app on the tablet, it was also pretty nice to plan a route on a larger format device and have it appear on all your other devices. So long as you have service (wifi or cell) there's no cables, transfers, uploads/downloads, intermediary software (Basecamp)... It just works. Easy to download tracks if you need.

Initially, I was concerned about screen visibility, but surprisingly, the phone seemed easier to view on the fly than the GPS.

Rever is now my GoTo navigation tool.
  4. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I have been trying out Rever and so far so good. 50 bucks a year for an app that is constantly upgraded and easy-to-use on an easily-readable smartphone screen beats paying $1,000 for a BMW nav unit that is cumbersome, glitchy, hard to read in the sun, archaic, and that will be obsolete in five years at best. A cool feature of Rever is their 3D FlyOver feature, which creates a computer-generated aerial video of the route along with the ability to include and display geo-tagged photos. There are other apps that will do this, too, but it's nice to have it integrated. I really don't know how companies like Garmin can continue to sell stand-alone GPS devices that are so far behind the curve, including their route-planning apps which seem to require a computer engineering degree to be able to use properly.
    ajy1w, Davidprej and Toddv like this.
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I nabbed the sale price on Pro this year. $25
    I need a tool that I can drop my waypoints on and force the NavV to follow it. And ususally Rever works pretty good. Easy to make the route online, save it to my desktop and then just drag the file into my Garmins GPX folder. Open tracks on the NavV, create a route and off you go. Navigating the route you CHOSE to ride.
    Caveat; I had a route fail on me a couple weeks ago. The Nav V got smart with me and tried to send me on a "better" route than I had created. This pissed me off greatly.

I still don't have a definative on it. But so far, it's one of the better tools I've played with for route planning --- into the Nav V. I do NOT want to see it on my phone. I want to see it on my spendy Nav V.
    Parcero and Toddv like this.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    you paid for the good tools and ran their work through an antiquated meat grinder. cool!
    Albie likes this.
  7. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. And I want to make it work for me.
    scarysharkface, Davidprej and ohgood like this.
  8. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been using Rever since they started and its great. I started paying for it last year.
    Toddv likes this.
  9. BradB.

BradB. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am really struggling trying to use Rever. Has anyone found a detailed tutorial on navigation? The little YouTube spots on the Rever YouTube channel just aren't detailed enough.
    ajy1w likes this.
  10. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the online version from my PC to map out all my rides. I use the IOS app to guide me while I ride. Its pretty straightforward, you enter the starting address or pick a spot on the map with your mouse. THats starting point, waypoint 1, then you just keep adding waypoints with you mouse until you get where you want. You could enter starting and ending address, then it will map it for you just like a GPS based on your road preference, and you can drag lines around or add waypoints to modify it. Its pretty simple, its almost a carbon copy of Harley Ride planner, which has plenty of online tutorials.
  11. BradB.

BradB. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Mac but otherwise create routes in a similar fashion. And use my phone on the bike. I have figured out most of the basics and have created routes. I haven’t been able to use the add waypoint by waypoint method because it only shows straight lines between points and never conforms to streets.

But I have also been having a lot of problems actually using the navigation on the bike. Just today I had an issue where I hit the “Start Naviation” button but am not currently located in the designed start point of my route. I was in fact already on the route path, just further along. So it kept taking me in circles until it got me back to what it knew was the correct start point for the trip even though I was already on the route just further down the road.

Also, when creating routes, I can’t do the point-by-point way of creating routes because it only gives me straight lines between points. It doesn’t conform to roads.

I have the Pro version, FWIW.

I’ll check out the Harley Ride planner videos. Thanks for the help!
    jcsg likes this.
  12. BjornFromRever

BjornFromRever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey fellas,
    Bjorn from REVER here. Thanks for the positive feedback, suggestions, and rider insight! As a small team, we enjoy seeing real riders using our product and giving their honest feedback. Here are some simple fixes that can really help you out.
    - If you are on Android, make sure you have your phone's power save settings to Performance rather than Optimized. When it is in optimized, it can randomly kill the GPS which will create straight lines while tracking.
    - If you are planning on the website and experience straight lines between waypoints, make sure the 'pencil' icon is not selected. If you want to build on a road that is not recognized by the software, use that pencil tool.
    - Have a tutorial request? Send me a message. I will happily build any tutorial for you guys!

Also, we are about to drop a Black Friday 50% off sale this week, so if you have questions or suggestions, feel free to reach out to me: bjorn@rever.co and I would love to help you get the most out of REVER.
    sati8d likes this.
  13. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I just did the black Friday deal, looks pretty simple
  14. BjornFromRever

Oddometer:
    Thanks for upgrading! Let us know if you have any questions at support@rever.co
  15. dmcharley

dmcharley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded to Pro as well. For $50, can't go that wrong..
  16. BjornFromRever

Oddometer:
    Thanks for upgrading! If you paid close to $50, that is our full price and we would love to hook you up with our sale price while we have it going on. Email us at support@rever.co if you would like help or have any questions.
  17. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does Rever have AUDIO turn-by-turn directions? Or do you just follow the lines on the screen. Tks.
  18. dmcharley

dmcharley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bjorn, all good, I paid $24. I just meant even at $50 it's not a bad deal if it does everything you need.
  19. BjornFromRever

Oddometer:
    REVER does have audio turn-by-turn directions. You can select between Route Line Navigation and Turn by turn directions depending on the type of riding you are doing.
    Davidprej likes this.
  20. BjornFromRever

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Agreed, even at $48 a year, that breaks down to $4 a month, which is less than a coffee at your local coffee shop.