Who uses Rever?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Toddv, Oct 3, 2019.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

could you upload that track somewhere so we can see where the GPS fails to work ? this is one of my favorite curiosities, I'm always trying to find dead spots in GPS coverage. :-)

are you familiar with how iPhone location settings work ? on Android we can select "hybrid (cellular wifi and GPS" , "battery saving (cellular only)" or "GPS only (which is the best option, least battery, highest accuracy)" but i don't know if those are available on iOS ?
  2. BjornFromRever

BjornFromRever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The battery settings on Android can be a real pain and we can't override them. Basically, the phone OS can decide when it wants to disable the GPS. We have found the best results through "Performance or High Performance." When the phone tosses on Power Saving mode or tries to "Optimize" the battery, it disables the GPS because a phone gps can use the most battery.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with Android stuff, i was more interested in seeing where his track stopped recording of it was caused by terrain.

thankfully im still using older versions of Android (7.*) that allow for using only the GPS antenna and killing the battery optimizing junk completely :-)
    Traxx likes this.
  4. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    IPhone 7
  5. wurrCRAZY

wurrCRAZY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Does Rever highlight roads you’ve already rode on? I like to explore new roads that I’ve never been on, so I’ve been using Calimoto, but I like some of the features I’ve read about with Rever. Here is a picture of what I’m talking about.
    A178D3B1-6BAD-45F4-8C69-9D0510A18F1A.png
  6. sorethumb

sorethumb Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Oddometer:
    ^^^ This is why I am sticking with GAIA and have not upgraded my Rever to Pro. I like seeing all my route options on one map. Trail closures, weather, emergency ride out, I want to be able to see all my route options on one screen, not in bits and pieces. Rever treats my routes like individual paper maps stuffed inside a folder tucked away in a pannier. Ain't nobody got time for that.
  7. grperrin

grperrin n00b

Oddometer:
    Still experimenting with various options as far as on-the-bike navigation using my iPhone... Despite this, I have signed up for Rever Pro as I believe the access to online versions of the Butler Maps and BDR for planning purposes is worthwhile... possibly cheaper than buying paper version of the Butler maps for all states. Now if only there was an equivalent product for Canada...
  8. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    How about being able to download only portions of the map needed for a route/track? Eg, the Trans Am Trail goes through quite a few states but you would only need a sliver of the map of those states to navigate through. It would be murder to do this manually and far too large a file to download each state.
  9. Clark

Clark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is Rever integrated in any way with the BMW Motorrad Connected app? I like the way the Connected app automatically records a route.
  10. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI - Rever is having a 50% off Spring Sale on Pro through April 17. .....check their website.
    SpringSale20

:ricky
    Parcero and BillWass like this.
  11. BillWass

BillWass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just signed up for Rever Pro the other day (planning all my long(er) trips after our "lockdown" has completed). Ran a small pre-planned loop last night, just to try it out. For the most part, it was good (first time using new software...). But, when using "turn-by-turn" to follow my pre-planned route, the screen would not turn to landscape position. Being that my iPhone is mounted that direction, it was tough to read and follow. Is that a coming feature? Did I miss a "lock screen" setting somewhere? It worked just fine with "Follow the Blue Line", but not with TbT. Just wondering. Thanks in advance for any help.
  12. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I recently started using the paid version of REVER and love it. For me, it’s far easier to create a route than using Garmin Basecamp—the map is just much better and doesn’t look like something from a 1970s computer—and it’s super intuitive. Loading the map into my phone is a cinch, just save it on the web version after creating and it’s automatically available. No cables involved.

The only hitches I’ve experienced is that if I get off the track a bit, like if I see something interesting in a town and detour a few blocks, the app keeps trying to reroute me back to where I detoured from the route to pick up the route again. Maybe it’s a setting. The only solution is to pick a new waypoint farther along and the route and restart. The other issue I’ve had is that sometimes the app just flat-out quits. I then have to restart the app, choose the ride again, and then choose a waypoint ahead of where I’m at to start turn-by-turn navigation again.

But these issues are minor in comparison to all the issues I’ve had with Garmin.
    BillWass likes this.
  13. BillWass

BillWass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually heard back from Rever support. They are planning on an iOS app update this week to take care of the landscape "issue" within Turn-By-Turn, along with other fixes, and such. So, +1 for their support team actually reaching out with updates and answers.

On a side note: I used Rever "Follow the Blue Line" the other day for a ride (because...landscape). It was actually great! Like reading a static map which automatically moved along and adjusted itself. PLUS! When I wanted to go off the chosen path, there was not a constant nag, in my ears and on my screen, trying to turn me around to get back on track! It simply left a red line where I rode, so I just needed to trace it back on my own time. I quite liked it.

So, I am sure there is an application for using both (TbT & FtBL), but just the fact it has both is already a great start.

Great stuff Rever! Keep it rolling along.
    refrider9 and Parcero like this.
  14. Parcero

Oddometer:
    I do like the FtBL feature, although the problem I had was that despite my phone being plugged into a constant power supply, it kept going to sleep. Probably a setting issue, since my phone stays “awake” with other nav apps like maps.me even when not actively navigating.
  15. BillWass

BillWass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rever App/Profile (lower right)/Settings (upper left)/Disable Screen Lock

The "Auto Pause Tracking" is a nice feature too.
    refrider9 and Parcero like this.
  16. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    BillWass likes this.
  17. deacon51

deacon51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like Rever. I got a coupon for a one year membership with all the maps. While not my main navigation I do enoy tracking and sharing my rides and the challenges are kind of fun.
  18. deacon51

deacon51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a ADVRider.com community?
    BillWass likes this.
  19. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    Good question.
    BillWass likes this.
  20. Parcero

Oddometer:
    Big and nice upgrades to the Rever app. Solved many of the problems/gripes of many of us.
    BillWass likes this.