Who uses Rever?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Toddv, Oct 3, 2019.

1. BillWass

BillWass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw that too. Played around with it a bit yesterday, but have not spent a lot of time looking at the differences.

Also, found their YouTube channel, if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX1oQN90D72mfpMyVIkosxw/featured
    Parcero likes this.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Recently became a Rever Addict. I don't use the Nav V on the GSA anymore for navigation, only for data. Have an iPhone in a Quad Lock on the handlebar and use the Rever app. What swung me is the Butler Map integration. I also use the app for road cycling, have Quad Lock mounts there too. Garmin routing lines are disturbingly thin and hard to see, and Basecamp can be a pain. About the only thing I'd tweak on the Rever mapping program is a more distinct separation from panning and point selection. Too often all I want to do is move the map but it lays down a waypoint.
    Zubb, deacon51, Parcero and 1 other person like this.
  3. BillWass

BillWass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good call on the Butler Maps, and the exact reason I gave Rever a try, as well. I ordered the physical Butler maps first, and found a G1 road, creating a wonderful forty-five minute loop, only six miles from my house. Then proceeded to find multiple others creating up to four-hour loops. Sold...
    Parcero likes this.
  4. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    I’ll have a ton of time over the next several days to play around with it in real time over several days of planning/riding. Looking forward to the upgraded experience.
    BillWass likes this.
  5. BillWass

BillWass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please update with things you find! Enjoy "testing"...someone has to do it. :)
  6. upontheridge

upontheridge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So have used Locus Pro for my GPS last couple of years. I signed up with Rever for the ride sharing piece. I am trying to use it to plan routes and to navigate. The little Youtube videos do not provide very detailed instructions. I am reasonable capable of figuring out new software but not good a guessing how to use the software. I wish they had one Video on getting started with Rever and maybe get a dedicated Rever thread going as users are often better at helping other users than programmers that think every thing they program is intuitive to them and should be to everyone else. I finally managed to plan a route which wasn't to bad. Very similar to Kurviger but Kurviger has a nice menu when you click to say extend route, finish etc. Rever has no menus so it takes some trial and error to figure it out. I then tried to use the app to navigate. That was a fail. Phone kept going to sleep. (Thanks to this forum I did find the disable screen lock setting) But I wonder if that will also keep the screen on or do I need to change my phone setting to always on every time I use my phone with Rever. Glad I had Locus as a backup. When i click on a planned route and then hit ride it seems to start recording. Does it record a ride that you have already planned. Also I like Locus Pro's ability to set a zoom level. Does Rever have ability to set zoom levels based on speed. Finally I tried the turn by turn directions but it only works with 25 or less waypoints. What ADV rider is going to create a ride with less than 25 waypoints. Will try Rever again tomorrow but I will probably keep using Locus Pro for actual navigation.
  7. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    So far so good. The map didn’t seem to appear all that much different, but I noticed that when I deviated from the planned route while in “Turn By Turn” mode and then picked it up again later, the app didn’t keep trying to route me back to my deviation point like before.

Also, the phone didn’t go to sleep when using “Follow the Blue Line” option, which was probably a setting change in the app anyway.

More “testing” is planned for this week as the weather continually improves.
    BillWass likes this.
  8. upontheridge

upontheridge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well was able to use Rever this morning to navigate a ride by clicking the Ride It button. Navigation worked pretty. Blue line was easy to see. Hard to see the other roads in white on the maps. Seeing those helps when coming to Y type intersections and trying to figure out which way the route is really going. Phone did not go to sleep but my phone died after about an 1 hour and a half of use. I was using rever on my regular phone a Samsung S8 it was plugged into a 3.1 AMP USB source on my bike but I guess it could not keep up with the power drain of the Samsung S8. So again back to Locus Pro on my Kyocera Duraforce Pro. Will try the Rever app on the Kyocera for my next ride but it doesn't have a SIM card so it only works when I have wireless so I will have to download maps to enable Rever to work in offline mode.
  9. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to download the route and map data for the NEBDR. I click on "Discover" from the main menu, then "Backcountry Discovery" and page over to get the area in the map window. I see several green dots on the route, but I don't see the route itself. How do I see the route and download for the poor cell regions?
  10. BillWass

BillWass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check for another update. I had an iOS "bug and performance" update hit yesterday. I had a chance to ride both Saturday and Sunday. My iPhone was on power the entire time and gained about 30% battery in about an hours ride. Interested to see how it works now.

I also had a few anomalies when using the navigation. My phone cradles in landscape, but portrait would happen every time the ride was paused. It would then take a bit to right itself after moving again; this was in FtBL and TbT.

Other than that, it seemed to work well. Hoping the little "fixes" along the way take care of the remaining issues.

LiveRide "Share a Link" and "Safety SMS" are awesome! I will use Rever just for that function alone.

Keep the improvements coming, Rever! Thanks you.
  11. BillWass

BillWass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure if it is done by map, or by area. I would download the area first, then try the NEBDR route mapping to see if it just lies over top of the downloaded map.

12. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was expecting to see the full NEBDR route layed out somehow on the app. Instead, I see the waypoints in Discovery mode and then sections of the route when I click on each waypoint. That BDR is pretty twisty and it would be far easier to just see the entire route listed. I tried the AZBDR as well - but it only has one waypoint. Rever: what am I missing? I would like to a) see the entire BDR route and b) ensure I have sufficient maps downloaded to cover the remote part of the routes (Maine for the NEBDR).
  13. Tenacious B

Tenacious B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any chance Rever could import KML files?
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

OK, I never though i would see a post describing having trouble getting rever to work properly, and falling back to locus. the latter is so much more difficult to setup initially, i assumed it would always be the other way around. I'm surprised !

the last time I used rever it had a bug that nagged me about my subscription login and crashed about every two turns, so i waitre for an update to fix that, and forgot about it. I'll be testing rever and podcast addict (separate app) today to see if they conflict and crash like Osmand+ pcaddict are reported to do. if I find easy answers to your issues I'll post them this afternoon.
  15. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Area based maps suck for touring.
    The radar is useless unless you can zoom out far enough to dodge rain or storms.
    Most likely wont be renewing this year.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  16. ajy1w

ajy1w Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same have no luck understanding how to use Rever as GPS.
  17. richb2222

richb2222 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Rever for a couple weeks, hoping to use it extensively on a trip from Texas to TN/NC/GA in July.
  18. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you creating a route on your laptop? or are you doing it on the phone?

I find building a route on the laptop intuitive and simple (and that's saying a lot because I've spent easily over a dozen billable hours studying everything online to use basecamp. which I loathe.

When you open the app in your iPhone there's a button on the very bottom left called "Rides". Tap it and then look across the top there is a row of types of rides. I scroll to the right and select "my planned rides" and whatever I built on my laptop is already magically there. Select the ride of your choice and tap "ride it".

You can then select "edit this ride" or "follow route line"(what I do), or "get directions".

I built a quick 100 mile on and off road route last night on the laptop and name it 50/50 explorer ride. Met up with 5 other riders this morning and opened the app, followed my instructions above and presto. The blue line was exactly where I left it the night before. Pretty easy to just follow the line. If I make a wrong turn I just head back toward any part of the blue line and I'm back on track.

It's primitive compared to my Nav5 on my GS. But . . . . it works. It doesn't reroute me. Ahem . . . . . I said . . . . IT DOESN'T REROUTE ME!

And that's why I like it so far. It obeys me. Not the other way around.
    Parcero, Hobbomock and EmmEff like this.
  19. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Ditto EVERYTHING you just said.
    Parcero and Tricepilot like this.
  20. Zubb

Oddometer:
    ^^^ update.
    I finally set a little time aside for Rever/NavV work. Revers youtube channel has a great vid on how to drag a GPX file into your garmin, and turn it into a trip you can ride. Made a couple test rides today and downloaded them to my desktop downloads folder > drug them from my downloads folder to Garmin in "finder" on my mac. Disconnect the unit and turn it on . > Tracks> select the test route> hit the wrench in the top left corner > convert to trip > exit to home screen and hit trip planner> there it is! select it and ride it. Have the NavV set to NOT recalculate routes, and you can follow the line on your NavV instead of squinting at your tiny phone!

It's simple I know, but like most, getting the NavV to follow the route I've created has been a huge chore. It's so much easier to make a route in Rever than in BaseCamp. And now I can put it on the garmin without even turning Basecamp on. :rayof