1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Who uses Rever?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Toddv, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    When I started using Rever, I would create a route on my laptop (waaaaay easier than with Garmin’s Basecamp app) and then export the gpx file to my Nav V.

After a few trips, and the recent Rever upgrade, I use Rever exclusively on my iPhone 11 in a RAM
    mount for on-bike nav. The Nav V was just too complicated to set up route following. I don’t have no navigate through four or five setting screens with Rever.

The Nav V is now used to quickly zoom out or in to get general location info and bike data if needed while riding.

I won’t be upgrading to the Nav VI, and if BMW comes out with a VII, there will have to be some seriously compelling reasons to get me to upgrade. If it’s the same deal with a fancier screen, that’s not going to cut it.
    ISUCyclones likes this.
  3. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would think there will be a BMW branded equivalent of the Zumo XT at some point.

I still cannot get completely behind REVER. The most frustrating issue I’m having with my iOS 12 device and CarPlay on my 2020 Africa Twin is that if I return back to the home screen, it “loses” the current trip in progress meaning I have to pull to the side of the road and restart. I’ve been told by their tech support to expect a less than optimal experience with iOS 12 but since Waze, Apple Maps, etc. don’t have this issue, I don’t think I should expect nor tolerate it with REVER.
    Traxx likes this.
  4. Zubb

Oddometer:
    For me, the ability to SEE my route up where it should be ... in my line of sight, is paramount. Looking down and finding a smaller phone screen and then needing to zoom in or out . . . no thank you. With the navV I can still use the wonder wheel and I can hear the route directions, and see distance to next turn, etc etc etc. The Nav V is vastly superior to my iPhone for safety and ease of use while riding.

Now that I've figured it out . . . I would buy a NavV tomorrow if my current one broke. All the foul language and blood boiling I've done for 4 years is now over because I've unlocked the simple route around f*%#ing Basecamp. I doubt I'll ever turn basecamp on again.

I've continued to play with this stuff and proved 'my' system over and over. I've even been putting wonky routes to the grocery store in it just to see if I can find a problem with it. As you can tell, I'm having fun.

The recipe again. . .
    Routing on my laptop with Rever, download the .gpx file to my desktop
    Plug in my Nav V
    drag the .gpx file into Garmin. I don't even have to put it in a sub file... just drop it in the garmin unit. then put it back on the bike.
    apps
    tracks
    select track
    upper left wrench- create a trip.
    trip planner
    select the trip
    go to start.
    I get full voice directions and the routing stays with my original route regardless now.

Tips: on your NavV, go to settings, turn OFF auto rerouting.

I'm excited to start a 3 flags ride Saturday with all the routing done on Rever. So cool that it shows me all the Butler maps motorcycle roads and the WABDR. I just clicked my way up along the roads I wanted, saved them as Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, etc. I just downloaded the WABDR right from Rever and Wah-Lah.... Day 4 onward is ready to go. Throw it on the NavV and off we go. And of course the backup to this is already right there on my phone if I want it or need it. Duplicity at your fingertips.

I'm so happy to not have to use my phone for mapping anymore. Maybe it's my eyesight, but I really appreciate the NavV now instead of being angry at it.
    Acousticplyr, Chadwickp and Parcero like this.
  5. Zubb

Oddometer:
    You might have to be Rever PRO to get the Butler maps, I can't quite remember. Since Rever works so wonderfully with my Nav now, I couldn't care less that they charge $50/year for PRO.
    If you are watching, you'll occasionally see the half price special pop up too.
    Parcero likes this.
  6. IdealPragmatist

IdealPragmatist Oxymoronic by definition

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! Just used it with a 2000 mile round trip I took. The constant restarting and "refreshing favorites" just to have it randomly stop time and time again drove me nuts. I finally just used Google Maps, which worked flawlessly, no surprise. The biggest draw for me was planning a route and then following the blue line (or whatever it's called) instead of the turn-by-turn stuff. Thought it was great to take any detour I wanted and then just find my way back to the blue line... especially for trails, etc.

Same bike by the way, so hopefully Honda will release an Android update, which might improve things greatly, and I can also stop using two phones!
    EmmEff likes this.
  7. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed using my “good” phone (iPhone X) on iOS 13 doesn’t have the same problem so it’s definitely iOS 12 causing it. I’m an iPhone user so I’ll just have to wait until I upgrade the phone I’m using on the bike. The other navigation apps don’t have this problem...
  8. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Thanks for the tips! I’m doing to give it a try.
    Zubb likes this.
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    My latest experience...

First off, I just subscribed to REVER because of the July 4th promo.

I created a route in Garmin Basecamp, exported the GPX to my iCloud Drive, and imported that route into Rever. My first observation was that it did not handle navigation where I “missed” (purposefully because of a gas stop) the starting point. I ended up editing the route at the side of the road, removing the starting point and attempted to route from there. No dice... the app crashed every time I started the navigation.

I ended up loading the original route into Scenic, which has options to skip missed via points, and continued to use it for the entire day.

Not off to a good start :(
  10. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    I moved back to iPhone's and still have my Galaxy Note 9 laying around. It's a good size phone with a great screen so I think it could be serve as a nice navigation platform. If combined with the Rever Pro, you think it would make for a good dedicated GPS nav option?
    It would be replacing an old Garmin unit that is currently mounted on my 1190 now. I would primarily be using it for street touring duty to help find my way. It would be off-line while on the bike, so I would need to download all the appropriate maps.
  11. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    My recommendation is to try them all. Most apps have a free trial, though most require the paid version to support offline maps.

My preference right now is Scenic. REVER shows potential and has the added benefit of the BDR maps and other "premium" maps that the other apps don't have.
  12. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on Scenic, looks interesting as well.

Had to edit my original question due to the unbelievably poor grammar, even I got confused what I was asking!!!
    Parcero likes this.
  13. rihaha

rihaha Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded ans signed up today. Good information here and glad to see Rever on here answering questions. I struggled with Google maps this past week. Always choosing the fastest route even if I had a slower route planned out before and stopping at each waypoint waiting for me to confirm that I made it. Can't wait to find a new route to run.
  14. rihaha

rihaha Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took the tags off my new Klim jacket and saw it had a promo for Rever. Could have used it when I signed up. Dang it :doh image.jpg
  15. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do I make sure REVER navigates me (turn-by-turn) through all waypoints defined in a route? I have imported a route created by Kurviger, which includes 50 waypoints along the route, but when I attempt to navigate that route turn-by-turn, it takes me from start to finish and ignores the waypoints. I imported the same route into Scenic and turn-by-turn takes me through all waypoints.
  16. JeffShanholtz

JeffShanholtz It’s all good

Oddometer:
    Would you be able and willing to explain how to reverse the starting point on gpx tracks on the rever app? I’m lost with it.
  17. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:

I really like scenic, I’ve been using that exclusively for a while.

Charles.
    EmmEff and Traxx like this.
  18. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't mean to diverge from the topic of this thread, but my most recent issue with REVER (I posted a question earlier) is effectively a dealbreaker. If I cannot import routes containing via/waypoints and have REVER provide guidance properly, it's a complete non-starter for me. I can import tracks and view them on the map, but it will not do any navigation of them nor does it appear to support creating turn-by-turn directions (route) from a track like Scenic is capable of.

Another ride today where Scenic was my go-to...
    Traxx likes this.
  19. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My rever subscription ends in Aug and I will not be renewing.
    I will try scenic again.
    EmmEff likes this.
  20. Zubb

Oddometer:
    I haven’t used Rever to import routes into. I create routes on Rever due to its easy logic (vs basecamp). I then download the .gpx file to my NavV because that’s 100x easier to use enroute than the phone is.
    Using the wonder wheel to zoom in and out while riding is essential for me. Trying to do that on a phone just doesn’t work when bouncing down a trail.
    I recently grabbed Revers .gpx file for the WABDR and loaded it on my NavV. Then rode 600 miles of tracks with turn by turn instructions in my helmet. It worked with 99.9% perfection. There were only a few turns that I got no audio warning to turn. But it’s easy to see on the screen that my purple line has turned to blue (off route) and zoom out to see where I left the track. Then ride back, or choose a shortcut to intersect my route again.

the NavV with the BMW wonder wheel is an amazing piece of equipment. Rever has made it easy and practical for me to put my routes in it and ride the path that I choose. Before Rever I hated Garmin. Now I love it.

No affiliation. Just a happy user now.