Who uses their "Kill Switch"?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Big Doobie, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Big Doobie

Big Doobie Frustrated Redneck

Oddometer:
    I know they suggest using the kill switch, when one is finished riding, but I don't know why.

I've been riding for years and use the key.

Let my buddy ride my bike, went the start it, and had a WTF moment. Until I realized he'd turned the bike off using the kill switch.

So what is the point?

Please enlighten me.
  2. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    It interrupts the electrical current thus turning the bike off. DUH!!!

:D
  3. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    I don't use it often, usually only when my bike is taking a nap on it's side. I tend to think of as an emergency kill switch so you can shut down your bike in a hurry without taking your hands off the bars.
    I accidentally flipped mine once in the middle of nowhere with the bike off. Went to start it up and had an "Oh shit" moment! Luckily it didn't take me too long to figure it out.
  4. EggChaser

EggChaser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There has been quite a discussion about this on the Explorer forums, as the manual actually says don't use the kill switch unless it is an emergency and some dealers have implied that the on board electronics learn things as you use ride which are reset of you use the killswitch hence the reason why you should not use it.

From the feedback in the other discussions, it appears that some US-based Motorcycle Safety courses tell you to use the killswitch so that out of habit it is the first thing you reach for in a real emergency.

Not that I used the killswitch with any bikes to stop the engine normally, always used the key.
  5. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I've always used it and never had an issue. Good habit to have for muscle memory at least for when you need it. Don't really know why, I just do.
  6. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:
    i use the kill switch EVERY time.

never had an issue. It's like braking with both brakes or looking through the turn, if you don't practice it, you wont do it when you need to
    JG77, Flashdog and rpiereck like this.
  7. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never used the the kill switch on my 2001 Triumph Tiger 955i. On the Tiger, the radiator fan would keep going after the ignition key was turned off. I took this as a sign from the manufacturer that it was OK to use the ignition key to turn the bike off.

Now that I have a KTM 990, I started using the kill switch for one reason: the fan on the radiator stays on when I use the kill switch, but it does not when I turn the ignition key off. I take this as a sign from the manufacturer that I should use the kill switch to turn off the engine and let the fan keep going.
    tigerboy likes this.
  8. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    I've been using mine, but only because the MSF instructors encouraged doing so. Since my procedure for turning off the motor is pretty rote, I don't think it's building the reflexes they were talking about, though...

1. come to a complete stop
    2. put transmission in neutral
    3. extend side stand and rest motorcycle on it
    4. remove right hand from throttle and turn kill switch to "off" position
    5. return kill switch to "run" position
    6. turn ignition to "off" position
    7. dismount

:huh

Damn, after looking at it that way I think I'll just change to switching off the ignition!
  9. Big Doobie

Big Doobie Frustrated Redneck

Oddometer:
    Thanks wise-ass. :rofl

Seems like a dumb question, but I just couldn't imagine a situation where I saw an advantage to using it.
    And I felt like a dumb ass when it took me as long as it did to figure out why my bike acted dead.
  10. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    I never use the kill switch. I shut the bike off by putting the side stand down, then reach for the key. Unless the bike is in my garage, it is always parked with the tranny in gear.

My wife uses her kill switch, when I jump on her bike I used to have to spend a couple minutes figuring out why it would'nt start "this time". Now I check for that kill switch first thing.
  11. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only when parking on a grade so

I can kill before releasing the brake while in gear
  12. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer:
    The Engine Cutoff Switch is useful as it shuts the engine off while the rider is still fully in control (both hands on bars, left foot on ground, right foot on peg). It eliminates the drama some manufacturers have designed into their bike with the various locations of ignition switches (by the headlight, behind riders leg, etc).

YMMV.
  13. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    I used to use it always, because the safety people recommended it. Then I read in the manual that it's only for emergencies, so I quit using it. I figured that I might wear it out if it wasn't designed for regular use. You have to turn the key off anyway, you might as well leave the kill switch alone.
  14. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use it because getting to the key is awkward.
  15. kalonji

kalonji nihilism or nothing

Oddometer:
    I use mine to turn the bike off a block away, then shift into neutral, once in neutral I turn the key off and coast into the driveway. Other than that I just use it randomly when the situation may call for it.

:huhI like using other people's kill switches when on group rides at a stop light. Who expects that?:ear
  16. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
  17. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    :huh
  18. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who's "THEY"? I generally just put the sidestand down, then turn the key to off as I dismount. Wonder what "THEY" say ‘bout that?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    BTW What good is it to have the fan running when the water pump isn’t? Cooling the radiator? <o:p></o:p>
  19. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    I would seem the next question in this thread should be, who has removed their side stand kill switch? :rofl
  20. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    I've read that coasting in neutral with the engine off is kind of a no-no, because a few things are still rotating in the transmission, but the oil pump isn't running. But, I can't imagine that doing this for short distances hurts anything.