who wants adjustable sidestands for their bike???

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by woody's wheel works, Jul 3, 2008.

1. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last

Oddometer:
    i'm trying to visualize just what you are asking,,,a few pics are worth a thousand words:thumb

woody
  2. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    the problem: we've all been thru this before,,,the bike feels too vertical and tippy when parked using your sidestand,,,,a case encountered by '08 KLR owners and folks who sumo their bike ie putting smaller wheels than the bike originally came with,,,,or the other way,,ie having a bike that leans too far over and feels like it'll fall down,,which my R1100GS has done on numerous occasions,,especially with a full tank of gas and lots of gear,,,or we have the folks that put larger wheels going from 19'' fronts to 21'' BWOE

Rx:solution #1... for those who will PERMANENTLY keep the new/current configuration the solution is straight forward straight forward,,,we measure what is and what we'd like and modify the sidestand by lengthening/shortening it,,real simple:thumb,,,unless of course you are the frustrated owner of a HP-2 and the factory sidestand bracket is the problem from being too weak as well as having too great an outward angle to the bracket:uhoh:cry

solution #2,,,for those that switch back n forth between several scenarios of ridung using different diameter wheelsets and/or suspension settings,,we can solve that problem by :

A,,buying an extra sidestand and modifying them to fit each particular need,,,downside of course swapping you now need to swap sidetands in addition to your wheels,,,or ,,,
    B..modifying you existing sidestand so that it would be adjustable to fine tune over a desired range,,,,below is one of my current ones,,,this one has a large nylock that allows the side stand to be adjusted by just twisting the foot-plate..the pics are self explanatory,,it works well and is speedy,,,my other version is similar only has a regular nut instead of the nylock. it uses a jam nut that needs a wrench or possible wings to be weldedon to lock the lower sidestand in place.

Below are some pics of an adjustable sidestand i created for my R1100GSwhich was tilted some 18 degrees,,,it's oem length is 13'' from the bottom of pad to the center of the pivot bolt,,,i cut a section out and welded it back together as you see,,, The sidestand can now go between 12.5" and 14.5". ,,,,currently at 14'' it straightened the bike to nice lean angle of 10 degrees,,,,,it is an adjustable sidestand with great strength.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Anything for the R100GSPD in stock configuration? In my case, it leans too much.
  4. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    ok,,,,from perusing this thread i see we have basically two kinds of needs,,,

A...the folks who probably are satisfied with their bike except for the wrong lean angle,,,ala bmw r100GS/PD leaning too much or the too vertical '08 Kawa KLR-650...these are easy to modify,,,just send in your sidestand and we can extend or shorten it the desired amount...if the bike showed up at our shop i'd know right away what we'd need,,,bigger footprints could be made/added at the same time

B...these are the people who will want an adjustable version,,,,the range of which will be determined by the kind of riding/wheels they plan on doing,,,
    i would imagine the greatest range we would encounter BWOE would be someone supermotarding one day and then single tracking the next,,ie from the smallest diameter wheel tire combo to the largest tire combo.
    then we have the needs of those who go touring two-up with a monster load one weekend and then commute solo the rest of the time... i've noticed the bikes sit at quite different angles,,,hence with an adjustable stand we'd be able to bridge the gap and set it up for somewhere near 10 degrees when you park the bike..

i have found that too much deviation from this final figure gives you the feeling the bike will tip one way or the other....just recently i modified my R1100GS ie the the one pictured in post #22.... what a difference 5 degrees more vertical has made in reducing my anxiety level:thumb
    you too can optimize your parking experience:super

later,,,wooody

PS,,,i imagine over time we'll know some standard stats for each bike BWOE the R100GS/Pd mentioned above responds well by extending it circa 1'',,,no problem

remember,,,you can see for yourself,,,that the sweet-spot around 10 degrees +/-2-3 degrees is a real do-able range,,so when we want to modify the length of the sidestand we want end up at the mid-point of it's range..
  5. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    currently i'm just modifying each rides sidestand on a 1 on 1 basis,,,you give me your sidestand and i'll lengthen/shorten it to your desired specification like type A or you give me a desired range +/- x'' from your sidestand like imentioned in post#24 and pictured in post#22 here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358866
  6. f knuckle

f knuckle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know you didn't mention this bike but a friend of mine has a Multistrada that has been lowered for her and it is just not working on the side stand. any way one of these could be modified to work on her bike? If not, any idea where to look for something that would

thanks!!
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    we can modify/shorten hers,,,no problem,,,you'll have to do the measuring and tell me how much you want removed...:thumb

holler n thanks,,,woody
  8. Beerslayer

Beerslayer Journeyman Bike Knocker

Oddometer:
    What a great idea! I was planning to get a set of supermoto wheels for my KTM 950 Adventure, and was figuring I would need two kickstands. It could use a bigger foot too. I tried the Touratech foot on it but it kept coming loose.

I will get that kickstand down to you this winter when I can part with it for a while, and send some measurements.
  9. f knuckle

f knuckle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    will do.
  10. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody,

You still doing this adjustable sidestand deal? I've got an HP2 Enduro sidestand that you lengthened a couple years ago by 2". Worked great, but I replaced the OEM sidestand block with your steel one, and now it's too long. Here are some pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd like it shortened by 1" and then a +/- 1" adjustment on top of that since I run 21/18 and 19/17 wheels. Can you do that on this stand? My guess is it's got some steel rod already welded inside it from the last work....

Thanks.
  11. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    we should have no problem converting this to an adjustable version,,,just send it in and share the information you want to have it end up,,just like you did below,,,

ie i wan the finished stand to adjust from BWOE 13-14'' and we'll git er done:thumb

woody

12. scottdc

scottdc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is timely as I was just looking for an adjustable sidestand solution for my DR650 a couple days ago with no luck and just ran across this. When loaded with luggage my DR tends to sit horizontal and if I don't park it on a perfectly level surface it feels like it'll go over if someone looks at it funny. Can this mod be done to a DR sidestand if I send one in?
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Would love an adjustable stand (a la DR650) for my TE610.
  14. HunSolo

HunSolo Mad Monk Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody,

Certainly the big bikes benefit from a larger footprint. How about adding a larger asymmetric plate at the bottom of the stand? The aftermarket add-on plates (at least on the GS) interfere with big boots while riding, or occasionally while coasting until you get your heel off the plate and close the side stand switch.
  15. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    we usually do that at the same time...i've got a pic somewhere on this thread...:thumb
    w
  16. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    yes,,as wella s making the foot bigger...

Yossarian™ Would love an adjustable stand (a la DR650) for my TE610.

same as above,,yes we can send old one in and we'll create the range you need:thumb
    w
  17. dc4stroke

dc4stroke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bump
  18. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did you manage not melting the nylon in the nut when welding it?
  19. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    well we had plenty of wet rags around the bolt:wink:

FYI,,,i solved the problem by making two very thin jam nuts by cutting a std nut in half....so i use it to jam the side stand in it's proper place:thumb

woody
  20. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah! and I thought you were chilling it with liquid nitrogen :lol3
    The jam nut thing is far superior IMHO :thumb