Who wears classic leather?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by choirboy, Mar 25, 2007.

1. choirboy

choirboy Yankee Racers - Founder

Oddometer:
    I know most of the discussion for jackets and pants in this forum centers around the latest heavy-duty textile garments, but I'm curious who still owns and wears some of the classic jackets of the past.

Who here wears something like a Schott Perfecto, or a Langlitz Columbia?

Maybe a Belstaff Trialmaster, or a Classic Double Diamond?

How do you take care of them? Who do you trust for repairs?
    AHRMA17L likes this.
  2. dmack

dmack 96 R1100gs

Oddometer:
    I have a full set of Langlitz that my dad had made for him in the late 70's. I just keep them treated with the Langlitz goo that comes in a tub.

I will admit that since getting some cordura gear, the leathers don't get used much ( warm and dry only).

Langlitz does repairs, but I don't know who else.

Enjoy,
    Dave:D
  3. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Schott Bros. Perfecto that i purchased new 32 years ago. Just some saddle soap rubbed onto it every few years. Have never taken it in for repairs. I didn't know the coat was still made. Do you know the current price?
  4. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    I have a 15 Year old Belstaff Trialmaster. It's dusty (the waxed cotton attracts dust) and crusted with bugs. It looks like hell & smells a lot worse. I could wash & rewax, but it looks really authentic this way.
    AviatorTroy likes this.
  5. choirboy

Oddometer:
    Pics -pics -pics! :clap

I find vintage gear just as interesting as vintage bikes.

And it doesn't have to be limited to the brands I mentioned.
    AHRMA17L likes this.
  6. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    Between $500 & $595 depending on whether you want steer or horsehide...

http://www.schottnyc.com/jackets/schott-perfecto-jacket.htm
  7. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    As much as I love my textile gear I bet I'll never be able to say anything like that.

From a $$ investment your Schott Bros gear is arguably the best money you've ever spent. How many multi thousand dollar bikes has that gear outlasted?
    Hittman likes this.
  8. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    Does a brown Hein Gericke Dakar count?

No? OK, I'll check back in another 18 years ...
    zg1286, 8feettogo, frozenpeas and 2 others like this.
  9. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    :lurk

I'm a big fan of the classics but I don't have one that truly fits the category. The only thing I have that comes close is an older HG 3/4 jacket...not a Dakar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got a cheap replica of the Swedish (?) police/courier jacket. I think Vanson made a copy at one point. Rare as hen's teeth, and I'd love to have the real deal. Choirboy -- I think you've seen 'em. :thumb

My "go-to" daily jacket in terms of leather is an older FG V-bomber in the heavy edition. Nothing close to what y'all are describing but I'll probably have it 20+ years from now...and it may soften up by then. Weighs a ton. :lol3 I love watching it age. I think it'll eventually end up as a "classic" in its own right.

Bunch of other leather jackets but nothing approaching classic stuff.
  10. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    PS - thanks for starting this thread!

One of my favorite things is looking at older bic pics and the jackets, particularly from the 20's-30's-40's.
  11. choirboy

Oddometer:
    Yes. I've wanted one since 1997. Vanson does not carry them in their catalog anymore, but I believe they will make one custom. I plan on stopping by there some time and getting the Swedish Motorcycle Jacket and the Swedish Riding Pants made. I'd also like to stop by Langlitz and have a padded pocket Columbia jacket and a set each of their Western and Competition pants. Great stuff.

That is, unless I can pick up good used sets. :evil

My interest with vintage leather started when I was supporting my motorcycle farkle habit by working for Barb at Alaska Leather. I washed/cleaned/dyed/treated a lot of pieces, and every once in a while a nice old jacket would come through.
  12. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    All righty then. Here's a pic of my Perfecto. 32 years young. I bought it at a flea market somewhere in south central New Jersey. I wasn't real interested in buying it but the salesman must have sold cars in a previous life. I was young and in the military at the time.

He pulls out this old pic of Marlon Brando wearing the same coat and ask me what scooter i'm riding. An H-D. He then proceeds to grab the largest needle iv'e ever seen and tries to run it thru the coat. Nada.

After a half hour sales pitch i finally dug deep in my pocket and gave him the fifty bucks he wanted.

I can't tell you how many bar room brawls, miles ridden, puke stains and even allowed the ladies to wear. All priceless.:lol3

[​IMG]
    James11 likes this.
  13. choirboy

Oddometer:
    Nice jacket. Looks like the liner is in good shape, too. Thanks for the pic.
  14. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Does my 20 year old Wilson count? I bought it to fit my arm length since I only weighed 130 pounds back when i was 17. It fits just right now that I weigh 200 pounds. :thumb
  16. earwig

earwig Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer:
    I love my Langlitz Columbia. Textiles do better in sustained rain, but if I had to pick only one, I'd keep the Columbia.

Langlitz gives great service, too, and can keep your jacket alive for decades!
  17. FN in MT

FN in MT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a $100 downpayment on a pair of Langlitz jackets way back in 1993 when I got back into bikes again. Had a 1988 K75. At that time the waiting period was like THREE YEARS or more.

Early 1994 I bought a 1 piece Aerostich, discovering Cordura. But also snagged a new CHP Jacket direct from their supplier; Golden Bear Leathers in SF. I forget what I payed but I did get a discount by mentioning I was MT HP and was going to use it on duty. Still have the Golden Bear but it's very HD'ish doesn't carry over to the BMW's that well. Pretty much put Langlitz out of my mind.

Last year went out to Portland for my Nieces Graduation from OSU and decided to stop at Langlitz and get my C note deposit back. What a turn of events! $2300 later.......Both my wife and I ended up with complete Langlitz gear, all in goatskin and custom fitted. My pants have the long zipperrs on the legs, very convenient for my SIDI boots. They fit like a glove. And the cotton lining is surprisingly warm in the cold and comfy in the summer. The jacket is the Cascade design and it looks great. Even as an Old Guy I look pretty damned good in them. (Thats what the Ladies say anyway)

Neat deal though.....My wife likes to show off the leathers, plus she looks good in them, So.....Now she rides with me more!! She's basically taken over my Ducati Monster as well. I'm a Lucky guy who has a wife who's like a best friend, so we enjoy the rides together. IMHO the Langlitz bill was well worth it.

Quality leatherrs ARE expensive but they do look good, and are certainly THE classic biker wear too. With Langlitz the inventor of the biker jacket You have a piece of history as well.

Anyones in the Portland area You owe it to yourself to visit Langlitz. Like stepping back in time regarding the attention to quality and the handwork. But DO take Your VISA as you'll probably need it.

FN in MT
  18. rader creek

rader creek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I still wear leather, had my jacket talor made in 1977 from Just Leather in San Jose Calif. & I can still fit into it. But I do ride a 1977 Triumph T140V even the Harley riders will give me a wave sometimes, if I'm on my 2002 KTM Motard the leather looks a little out of place but the rocket riders & some of the Beemer riders still give a wave but not the Harley heads, go figure !!:norton
    jtgasper likes this.
  19. micio

micio stress kitten

Oddometer:
    My only motorcycle jacket; just 12,000 miles and not broken in yet. Looks great, but it's being replaced with Motoport duds as it's not very warm in the cold, not very cool in the heat, and doesn't have any armor...

That said, I'll probably hang on to it 'til I die. Someday I hope to have the sweet vintage bike it deserves to be seen on.:wink:

I should add, it's a hell of a lot warmer/more protective than the jean jackets I wore for two years. I'm no ATGATT role model.
  20. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a very worn 1960's "Brimco" (made in Montreal). At the time they fit like the skin on an apple.
    Now I'm afraid that my apple it to big for it's skin and young Son wears it as a "fashion statement" ... LOL

[​IMG]

A near new "Brimco" which is so stiff it can stand on its own ...

[​IMG]

And a worn thin "Aljac" made in Winnipeg.

[​IMG]

All 1960s vintage.